Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay515

Have to choose: via lactea honed or leathered?

Kay515
10 years ago

I've picked out via lactea for the perimeter of my new construction kitchen. I wanted something that would have a look similar to soapstone and this was what they had. They unfortunately had zero samples to hone or leather, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has this granite in either finish or would recommend one over the other? Counters are going in very soon so I have just a day or two to decide. What do you think?

Comments (15)

• lindainct
    10 years ago

I don't have via lactea but I do have green ocean leathered and I love it. Not many people do a leathered finish and I like that, too.
    Linda

• Kay515
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Linda. The guy who manages new construction installs is going to see if he can get me samples of both finishes. I will also have a desk area with the same surface and I'm not sure if leathered would be a problem there.
    Do you have any problems writing on yours?

• lindainct
    10 years ago

I had to go write on it to see if it was a problem, it wasn't. You can definitely feel the texture but it doesn't cause uneven writing. Mine is installed over perimeter cabinets in my baking area so the only writing done there is, perhaps, on a recipe.
    Linda

• Kay515
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much!

• mbts
    10 years ago

Would love to see your Via Lactea pics!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I love it! Congratulations, and thank you for posting. I wondered if honing would make it too grey, but it doesn't appear that way - does it match the back of the slabs or is it much darker than that? Is it showing a lot of fingerprints? This is gorgeous, what are you going to do for a backsplash? I'd love to see more of your kitchen, my colors will be similar.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

Honed please. If you are looking for a soapstone appearance, it should be honed.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Wow, I love this look. What does it feel like when touched?
    Also, what are the pitfalls of honed granite, e.g. durability, chipping, staining....?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love your granite! I was thinking of having my Typhoon Bordeaux honed but I got so absorbed in other decisions that I forgot about asking about the possibility.

• Kay515
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! It's definitely black with white streaking and little tiny flecks of gold. Back of slab is more grey. Haven't noticed fingerprints but sweaty glasses leave a temporary ring mark. Granite cleaner gets rid of it and I don't mind it. Not sure about long-term wear, but it was enhanced and sealed. Backsplash will be crema marfil subways with 1x2 crema marfil brick liner. Island granite is polished Taupe.

• daugi
    10 years ago

I'm looking all over Long Island for this granite. Any suggestions???? It is absolutely perfect.

• Kay515
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you are talking about the island granite, my granite yard calls it "Taupe", but
    I know they change names from place to place. I would look for a slab with chocolate, taupes and creams with lots of striations and movement throughout. Perimeter is Via Lactea which is black with white streaks. Also goes by the name "Milky Way". I had the perimeter honed.

• D D
    7 years ago

I know it's been a few years since you posted but if you read this, I would love your feedback on your via lactea counters. I'm seriously considering it in leathered for my counters but having a difficult time finding reviews. Any issues? Do you see water spots more easily than on your island? Looks beautiful in the pics! Thanks!

• pippiep
    7 years ago

I have Via Lactea leathered counters and LOVE THEM! Here's my kitchen reveal. In my previous house, we had an off-white laminate, and the Via Lactea counters don't show any more dirt than the laminate did.

I didn't have the choice between honed and leathered -- they only had leathered. It is much smoother than other leathered granites. We roll dough on it all the time.