Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have to choose: via lactea honed or leathered?

Posted by Kay515 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 16:17

I've picked out via lactea for the perimeter of my new construction kitchen. I wanted something that would have a look similar to soapstone and this was what they had. They unfortunately had zero samples to hone or leather, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has this granite in either finish or would recommend one over the other? Counters are going in very soon so I have just a day or two to decide. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have to choose: via lactea honed or leathered?

I don't have via lactea but I do have green ocean leathered and I love it. Not many people do a leathered finish and I like that, too.
Linda

o

Thanks, Linda. The guy who manages new construction installs is going to see if he can get me samples of both finishes. I will also have a desk area with the same surface and I'm not sure if leathered would be a problem there.
Do you have any problems writing on yours?

o

I had to go write on it to see if it was a problem, it wasn't. You can definitely feel the texture but it doesn't cause uneven writing. Mine is installed over perimeter cabinets in my baking area so the only writing done there is, perhaps, on a recipe.
Linda

o

Thanks so much!

o

Would love to see your Via Lactea pics!

o

Let's see if this works. Never posted pics before.
I went with Via Lactea honed. Leathered would've
been great, too, but the installer told me that with
honed if it gets messed up they can polish it whereas
with leathered you cannot. While its not a replica of
soapstone, it is a similar look. Someone visiting
actually asked if it was soapstone. I think most people
haven't heard of honed or leathered granite.

o

I love it! Congratulations, and thank you for posting. I wondered if honing would make it too grey, but it doesn't appear that way - does it match the back of the slabs or is it much darker than that? Is it showing a lot of fingerprints? This is gorgeous, what are you going to do for a backsplash? I'd love to see more of your kitchen, my colors will be similar.

o

Honed please. If you are looking for a soapstone appearance, it should be honed.

o

Wow, I love this look. What does it feel like when touched?
Also, what are the pitfalls of honed granite, e.g. durability, chipping, staining....?

o

I love your granite! I was thinking of having my Typhoon Bordeaux honed but I got so absorbed in other decisions that I forgot about asking about the possibility.

o

Thanks! It's definitely black with white streaking and little tiny flecks of gold. Back of slab is more grey. Haven't noticed fingerprints but sweaty glasses leave a temporary ring mark. Granite cleaner gets rid of it and I don't mind it. Not sure about long-term wear, but it was enhanced and sealed. Backsplash will be crema marfil subways with 1x2 crema marfil brick liner. Island granite is polished Taupe.

o

I'm looking all over Long Island for this granite. Any suggestions???? It is absolutely perfect.

o

If you are talking about the island granite, my granite yard calls it "Taupe", but
I know they change names from place to place. I would look for a slab with chocolate, taupes and creams with lots of striations and movement throughout. Perimeter is Via Lactea which is black with white streaks. Also goes by the name "Milky Way". I had the perimeter honed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here