Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawnbc

My $1500 Make-over

dawnbc
15 years ago

Hi, I've been reading for months with a very rare post here and there and just love looking at all your kitchens. Since I just figured out how to post pictures, I thought I would share my very small budgeted reno.

We've lived here almost 3 years now and did replace all the appliances but I haven't included them in the price. Crown moulding was added the first year and also isn't included.

We have new light fixtures over the island, kitchen table and under the cabinets. The island had an off-centered pot light before.

Island got a total make-over. Before it was one big cupboard with only a half shelf. We partitioned it to make two cabinets and added a full shelf. Even added that free pull-out shelf that someone kindly posted about on the board. Counter with the tiny overhang (for very skinny people?) was replaced with butcher block which I love.

New paint on the cupboards and it looks like a new kitchen. Perimeter counters will be replaced in the future but they aren't number one on my priority list just yet.

Before:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

After:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (30)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Wow...VERY nice! What an amazing change with the paint. I absolutely love your island.

• pam2007
    15 years ago

It looks fabo! You did a great job. Both the cabinets and island look brand new.

• Christine Clemens
    15 years ago

$1500?? Incredible job. The island is so cute. I am not going to show my husband your amazing work because I want new cabinets but I guess I should ask - How hard was the painting job?

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

oh wow! look at that! beautiful! amazing what a few small changes can do, isn't it? Your kitchen looked really nice before anyway - but just a few extra touches and - the wow factor! I love the beadboard on the ends of your island. and that is a beautiful piece of butcher block - looks a bit darker than I'm used to seeing - and I like it much better!

also, your pic with your corner cabinet is giving me an idea - it's a deeper angle than usual, isn't it? did it pose any major problems in putting it in?

I'm going to remember that for my kitchen. maybe I can do that... I don't have that much room between my stove and the corner, but I have more space between the corner and my sink (set up like yours is). and I seldom cook so the stove won't even get much use! My kitchen is smaller tho, so it might not look good - but I'll check it out! I'd much rather have another bank of drawers than the usual LS corner.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

YOu did a fabulous job! I love how the white paint looks on your perimeter and the island rocks! What color paint did you use on it? Wood type on island?

• fran1523
    15 years ago

It looks fabulous. I like it better than some of the $35,000 kitchens I've seen. The bead board on the island is a nice touch.

• dawnbc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. :D

Odiegirl, I'm the painter in our house. DH only cuts in the really high stuff I can't reach. That being said, painting cupboards is straight forward but very time consuming. DH sanded the doors for me and then I primed and did 2 coats of paint, fronts and backs. I'm cheap and don't want to pay someone to do what I can do, even if it takes me three times as long. ;)

DesertSteph, we didn't install the cabinets. The wall is actually angled between the stove and sink and holds a 36" set of pot drawers. I have seen a smaller set of drawers used instead of a blind corner. Something I'd like to do between the stove & fridge if we ever did a total gut job.

• ilovetn
    15 years ago

Really pretty transformation! I love the light over your island. I also like your valance, simple but elegant. Just a beautiful facelift.

• dawnbc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remodelfla, the perimeter cabinets and all trim are BM Cloud White CC-40 and the island is BM Taiga CC-696. It's almost a perfect match to the coloured tiles in the backsplash.

The butcher block is oak from Ikea. We put 5 or 6 coats of Tried & True Varnish oil on it and now use beeswax salad bowl finish on it when necessary.

Thanks Fran!! The beadboard is also on the back end that you can't see. Much nicer than the faux wood ends. ;)

• dawnbc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ilovetn, you snuck in on me. I made the valances. The shutters were here before and are just perfect for a southern exposure. They prevented me from having the goose neck faucet I wanted but worth the trade-off.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

Wow! What a transformation! Love your island, love your butcher block now I see yours I am sorry I did not go with BB. You really have an eye for design. Can't believe it was only $1500 looks like more. . Great Job!

• alice462
    15 years ago

What fantastic changes! Love the look of all of it, especially the island top and color! I'm particularly partial to your blue and white pieces, what nice accessories!

If you don't mind - what is your butcher block wood and how did you "finish" it?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

It's really charming! You did a great job, especially with the accessories.

• dawnbc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks MaryBeth & Alice. Alice, if you read the post at 17:00 you'll see the info on the butcher block. I've been a sucker for blue & white pieces for years. I have lots more stashed around the house. LOL

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Wow, what a fabulous job! Can you take pics of the island opened up so we can see what you did?

• donka
    15 years ago

Very nice job! It looks fantastic! If you don't mind my asking, what colour did you paint your walls? I love that green...

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Oh my, I love the color you chose for your island, and the butcher block looks so great! Your kitchen was pretty before but I love the new freshness of the white. Perfect choice of lighting over your island. Congratulations on a fantastic job!

Erika

• dawnbc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bestyears, I'll get back to you with a picture in a bit. Might have to tidy up a shelf first. ;)

Donka, the wall is BM Beach Glass CC-606. The name has since been changed and I think it is now called Spanish Moss.

• dawnbc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Writersblock & Erika.

The kitchen really wasn't that pretty before. I think the pictures make it look better. LOL Only the doors are solid wood, the sides, old light rail (4" wide!!) and crown moulding are all faux. They didn't age the same colour as the doors and looked awful.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Wow - Dawn - what a great job! The island is just so pretty and functional now. I love the colour you chose for it. The white painted cabinetry makes such a difference to your kitchen.

Congratulations - you must be thrilled!

Eliz

• morton5
    15 years ago

As others have said, it looks fantastic and you have a great eye for design. Not only is your kitchen great-looking, but is green (appropriate for Earth Day!) because you used what you had. I think the previous owners would not even recognize their kitchen.

• Fori
    15 years ago

I also approve! It's just perfect. Just what I want, come to think of it!

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

This is one of the most amazing renos I have ever seen - only $1500! You did an awesome job and I love your island!

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

dawn - thanks for the info on that corner cab. 36"! I thought it looked wide. I'd probably have to knock that down to 24" - but that'd be ok to get the extra drawers! much more usable to me.

I love the green of your kitchen also - guess my eyeballs were popping at so many other things I missed it earlier! I'm going to write down those paint colors also. I love green - and that can be a funny color to get right in a room. That'll be a good color for my bedroom - to go with purple - my comfortor has purple and green in it!

just a lovely kitchen! thx for sharing it with us. I'll also pop back in to see other pic of cabinet... don't worry about fixing it up inside too much... we're all most likely in the same boat...

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Wow - that island is fabulous. I'm personally not a fan of painted cabinets - preferred stained wood myself - but your overall new look is outstanding. I am always way more impressed with budget transformations since they take more ingenuity and usually hard work compared with those that just take $$$$$$.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

That looks fabulous! I love the shades of green you used!

• dawnbc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the kind remarks!!

Here are pictures of the interior of the island.

You can see the brackets we used to partition the cupboard on the left side. That tiny half (quarter?) shelf used to run the entire length of the island and is all I had in there.

{{!gwi}}

Now it is perfect for storing dog food.

{{!gwi}}

And the neat little pull-out shelf I learned about from this site:

{{!gwi}}

I just bought bin pulls for the three drawers and still need to install them. It'll be the finishing touch. :D

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Perfect job on the inside. Thank you for posting the pics. I have the same stupid setup (that you had originally) with that stupid half shelf all the way across the back.... I bet you love this new setup!

• kpaquette
    15 years ago

Dawn, your transformation is amazing! I wonder whatever happened with the poster on here from a while back that was wondering if she should paint her dated oak cabinets - I'd love her to see what you did. It's just amazing what a coat of paint can do. I love the it all, and the island color is just perfect. And the rug you chose matches it perfectly!

• karena_2009
    15 years ago

I love the beadboard on the island, too. It just adds a nice counterpoint to the cabinets and gives it a more traditional feel, yet it's cozy at the same time. I love the display of blue willow dishes on top of the cabinets. Great job!!! It's an amazing update for so little money. It's great that you were able to make better usage out of the island to use your space there. Very creative and well done. Congratulations!