Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellacucina_gw

My finished kitchen/fam.rm. pics - - Thanks GW!!

bellacucina
12 years ago

Thanks GW'ers for helping me design my dream kitchen!!! Basically, we kept the same floor plan but relocated and changed the door to the deck and the windows (added 2 extra). We started with a KD that gave us some preliminary floor plan ideas, but quickly were on our own when we didn't hire her GC partner for the construction. And so I turned to GW, and I really don't think I could've done it without you! If you see elements of your kitchens in mine, remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ☺ Thank you for your inspiration and advice. Thanks especially momqs (my friend & neighbor) who lived thru the process right before me and gave me so many tips, cautions and survival skills.

My goal: a timeless kitchen with high power (gas BTU) range and a second oven to facilitate my love of baking and cooking.

We also had a terrific GC who said it would take 8 weeks and delivered. If you are near in the SW Philly 'burbs and need a recommendation, just email me!

I still need finishing touches, like photos, pops of color etc.... and probably will be turning to the Decorating Forum for help on that!

Some pics:

(before)

After:

This shows the Marron cohiba withoout the sunlight shining on it,

and with it:

Guess which feature was all DH's planning?

The details:

Range: Capital Culinarian 36" with wok grate

Hood: Rangecraft (curvette)

Fridge: Liebherr 2x 24", cabinet depth, smartsteel

Oven/Micro combo: Electrolux Icon 30"

DW: Miele Optima II

Faucets: KWC Eve for main sink; Eve soap dispenser; Eve Demi for island sink; Kohler simplice for mudroom

Water filter: Royal Doulton ceramic

Airswitches/ disposals (2): insinkerator

Sinks: Krauss SS near-zero radius for main and mudroom; "Belmont" sink from stainless-sink.com for island

Granite: "Ice Brown" on island- Fabulous experience with StoneMasters in Kennett Square (Thank you Beekeeperswife!!!!) And "Marron Cohiba" on perimeter; and honed absolute black (or something like it) on the FP

Cabinets: Wellsford Cabinetry, Stowe, PA- Crystal White with Oyster glaze on perimeter and Cherry with Sable glaze on island; full overlay

Hardware: Amerock "Revitalize"

Backsplash: Walkerzanger "Helsinki" minibricks and 1x1s

Flooring: Qtrsawn Whiteoak site finished in Minwax (25% ebony with 75% red mahogany plus 3 coats semigloss poly with 1 finish coat of satin)

Windows: Anderson

French doors: Pella with internal shades

Paint: BM aura matte Ashley Gray walls; ceilings cut to 50% in family room and *about* 25% in the kitchen. BM aura matte Wolf gray in mudroom. BM aura Marscapone trim and cabs (cabinet coat)

Pendants: Jamie Young (large St. Charles in mercury glass)

Chandy: Quoizel DW1824 "Downtown"

Stools: overstock cosmopolitan dark brown leather (Thank you GW!)

Chairs: overstock Soho cream leather (Thank you Beekeeperswife!)

Table: Costplus Worldmarket Charlotte table 42" round w/ ext.

Comments (59)

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very pretty!

• jcasola5
    12 years ago

It really is a "Bella Cucina"! Can I ask please how long your Island is, and the size of your pendants? Beautiful balance that I will seek to replicate. many thx.

• elba1
    12 years ago

Looks great - congrats!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I'm in lust with your wall of storage, curvey hood, and granites! Love the way you used 2 cab finishes; it really warms up the space. Congrats and enjoy your lovely kitchen and FR!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Love the way all the details have come together to create a great looking kitchen. Those windows are fantastic - and the amount of light must be great to have. Enjoy!

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

Fantastic! Your lighting choices knock my socks off. And it's so cool how the counter changes its look in and out of sunlight.

Congrats!

• joan2121
    12 years ago

Oh my, Oh my. that is gorgeous! I love the warm wood cabinets with the creamy white, I love the granite choice- all your colors. Love the pendants. And I love the way flows into you family. Love the fireplace and cabs on side. Can you tell, I love your kitchen/family room!! Great job!!!

• homeagain
    12 years ago

Ooooohhh, me likey.

Great job. Love the cabinets to the ceiling. The way the stainless and white work together and that gorgeous granite!

• momqs
    12 years ago

Ooh I'm so happy you posted your gorgeous kitchen! I have to say the photos don't do the backsplash justice though - it's even more spectacular in person.

And I adore the wood and cream cabinets and the new windows. Did anyone notice the headers on the windows? So beautiful!

The cream chairs just set the tone for the two rooms.

The overall mood is serene and calm - nothing out of place and one visual treat after the next. Sooo worth the hassle!

Congrats on finishing!

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much everyone --it feels GREAT to be finished and replying to your questions.

reston1- I wasn't sure anything would look good! But I was pretty comfortable with the early decision to take down the wall b/c I wanted greater flow between the 2 rooms. Photos here and on houzz, and a sketchup by the KD and by DH on google sketchup really helped me visualize the 2 rooms flowing into eachother. Goodluck!

breezygirl - I was between Rangecraft and Modernaire b/c I liked this design. It was $3350 including the blower, and I think that was less than the Modernaire, but also the appliance company was able to wheel and deal on the numbers b/c we bought everything but the range thru them. Rangecraft was great to work with, and the hood does a great job! It handled 4 steaks on a Lodge grill plate when we ran out of propane for the bbq, and the baffles washed up easily in the DW.

JohnnyToronto, I'm flattered! :) The island is 9 feet long, 41" wide. The pendants are 10" diam, 13" high, and they are made of thick almost translucent mercury glass. I love them!

• frmrsdghtr
    12 years ago

I'd be happy with the before's but I'd be ecstatic with the after's! :D Great job!

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely. Truly, truly lovely! Congratulations on a superb job!

• dretutz
    12 years ago

Wow that is a stunning kitchen. Very good grays on walls to finish the beatiful choices.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Holy smokes...this kitchen is to die for! I am in love with it so I know that you must be too! Kitchen of your dreams? I think this kitchen is the kitchen of our dreams too! Congrats on a job VERY WELL DONE! Enjoy.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Thanks for the hood info. I went to their website after I saw yours. They have a style I like in their clearance area. It was after the business hours when I called to ask about it. I'm hoping to talk to them tomorrow. Can I ask two more questions about yours? How many cfms is it? And Isit their brushed stainless finish?

Thanks so much!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Completely SPECTACULAR!

*LOVE* it all!

• stacieann63
    12 years ago

It's really beautiful, congratulations.

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Very nice choices. It all blends so well. I really like the grays also. Someone else said it all blends together well as far as nothing sticking out as extravagant and that makes it all look perfect. c

• maryann_m
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I especially love the colors in your counters and the curved shape of the range hood.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Very, very nice kitchen! I like the way it all flows together so well!

• adel97
    12 years ago

Wow, just GORGEOUS! Every choice is inspired.
    Enjoy!

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Hi momqs -thank you for mentioning the window header molding! Even tho the change from plinth block rosettes to plain wide molding cost us, it makes a huge difference in the look so I'm glad I had our GC change it.

breezygirl - it's 1200 cfm of power, 2 speeds (tho I think they offer variable speed as an upgrade) and, yes, it's their brushed "nondirectional" SS.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! The tile and counters are spectacular! Wow!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

Bella, bella cucina indeed -- brava! That's just gorgeous, from the countertops to the tile, lights, range hood, and yummy wood. How have you enjoyed cooking on the CC? And the family room is the perfect fit. Wishing you many years of happiness in both rooms : ).

Becky

• elizpiz
    12 years ago

Just simply beautiful - what a great transformation. I LOVE that Marron cohiba, with its amazing colour variations.

Enjoy spending time with family and friends and happy cooking!

Eliz

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Great job, brava! I love the mix of dark and light cabinets. NIce color scheme, too. My favorite is the range backsplash. I'm really feeling a backlash against the overwrought backsplash. Yours is just enough detail without being overdone. Very nice!

enjoy!

• BlueKitten
    12 years ago

This is really lovely and so well-balanced. Gorgeous colors!

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the compliments! We are loving how it all came together. Of course there have been some "I wish I would've researched that more" moments, but thanks to GW, they've been pretty minimal!

Beckysharp, the CC is an amazing cooking machine - - I've mostly been using the rangetop for wokking and other dutchoven type dishes -- and the oven just to keep a stew simmering and to roast a chicken -- but haven't tried out the rotisserie or done any baking in it yet. The 23K BTUs does a mean stir fry. I love it! The simmer feature is like trying to control a beast, but apparently there is a fix; we just have to watch the video, read the instructions and do it. I've been using the Electrolux electric for baking and loving it. Also loving the convection feature which we never had in an oven. We have discovered perfectly even, crispy bacon in 20 minutes!

mtnrdredux - there are so many gorgeous backsplashes I was spending hours looking on houzz and the finished kitchen blog --but once I saw this marble tile at the store, I knew it was "the one". Thank you!

• htracey
    12 years ago

I love how dogs always manage to work their way into pictures like these...

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

Ooooooo nice!!! I am sensing a lot of "Ice Brown" GW counters on the horizon--it looks fabulous!

I never realized that Bee's chairs were leather--always thought that they were a major form over function thing, (in a good way! Like beautiful heels!) but now I get it. They look super cool and inviting.

Very serene--beautiful kitchen!!! Enjoy!!

• stephct
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!! LOVE your colors, pendants and the backsplash is my favorite!

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks elizpiz and shanghaimom -- your gorgeous kitchens were my early inspirations. Shanghaimom, I think I first found the "revitalize" hardware from your kitchen. The overstock chairs are great, and very comfy!

• lolauren
    12 years ago

The cabinets + windows + doors with their matching grids looks beautiful. I also love the headers. They made the rooms look much richer. The kitchen is stunning now. It looks incredibly high-end and perfectly executed.

Also, the doodle is really the best part, imho. ;) I have two of my own..... !

Enjoy your beautiful, new space.

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lolauren, without a doubt, Bella (our goldendoodle) is the star of our kitchen, as well as the family room couch! And thanks for noticing the headers too -- I'm so glad I changed them.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

My goldendoodle is Bella too :) (DH's goldendoodle is Gracie.)

BTW, how are you doors with internal shutters working? Do they open/close smoothly?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is so jazzy and smooth. I love all the materials you chose and how it all blends. That Marron Cohiba is intriguing. I bet that went on a bunch of people's must see lists!
    I love your light chairs, but with 2 young boys, I have to admire them in someone else's house, lol....
    The headers over the windows are also way cool and add a great vibe. No one would have missed if you hadn't done that, but seeing them there looks so seamless and well balanced.
    Bravo!

• jenhp
    12 years ago

Beautiful! LOVE, love, LOVE the backsplash! Great job! Thanks so much for sharing. It's seeing after pics that inspires me to go on with our design process!

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lolauren, yes the internal shades work smoothly ( not as smoothly as pulling a cord but smooth enuf) - there is a lever that slides up and down, and feels like there's some tension in the movement.... I debated about getting them or doing window treatments, and opted for these b/c I could still do treatments if needed for color etc. Right now I like the clean undressed look!

dianalo, thanks! I love the maroon cohiba but caution anyone that
    wants it to be aware that it's got a reputation for being hard to work with,
    and fragile, which I didn't know when we got it. Ours had a couple small
    chips where the soap dispenser hole was drilled (dh fixed) and when the range was slid in. At first it freaked me out, but I've since taken a zen approach to and just let it go.

Jenhp, keep going with your design, it will be great!

• PearGeorge
    12 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen!!!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Fantastic transformation.
    I love everything. Your backsplash tile is simply
    elegant. A great family space.
    Congratualtions!
    ~boxerpups

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lolauren, yes the internal shades work smoothly ( not as smoothly as pulling a cord but smooth enuf) - there is a lever that slides up and down, and feels like there's some tension in the movement.... I debated about getting them or doing window treatments, and opted for these b/c I could still do treatments if needed for color etc. Right now I like the clean undressed look!

dianalo, thanks! I love the maroon cohiba but caution anyone that
    wants it to be aware that it's got a reputation for being hard to work with,
    and fragile, which I didn't know when we got it. Ours had a couple small
    chips where the soap dispenser hole was drilled (dh fixed) and when the range was slid in. At first it freaked me out, but I've since taken a zen approach to and just let it go.

Jenhp, keep going with your design, it will be great!

• Luvspring
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is just gorgeous! Where did you get the tile? I love it! We are going to attempt a kitchen renovation and do tile ourselves. Its tough to find something in a small town. All they really have are the big box stores for tile.

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

Just realized that the brown granite is the Maroon Cohiba and the lighter stuff on the island is the Ice Brown...the Cohiba is stunning. Never saw it around our area.

I hope you like the pulls as much as we like ours. Comfy, solid and easy to clean.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Thanks for the additional hood info. I'm back again to admire your photos and ask one more question. Does your hood have an internal fan or did you install it with a remote fan? And is it quiet? I haven't seen any Rangecraft owners discuss the noise level. I guess that was two questions. ;)

I'm strongly considering the 42" one I saw on their clearance site. They can cut it down to my ceiling height so it would be perfect. The problem is that it's only 600 cfms. I'm getting a 36" 6 burner CC rangetop and was planning on more cfms than that. I know it's a good deal for a tremendous hood, but maybe not the right deal for me. Arggghh!

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks luvspring! I first saw the tile at a local tile store called Devon Tile Design (they have amazing stuff) -- but found for less at a larger store (Avalon Tile in Wilmington DE) and able to have the price matched. I also tracked it down by looking on the Walker Zanger website to see who their retailers are.

shanghaimom, they also call the marron cohiba "antique brown" i think. I do love the Amerock pulls - - and I think they are better quality than the twice as expensive RH bistro ones I was looking at!

breezy, I just checked the invoice and drawings, and all it says is "sigma fan" -- I know it's venting to the outdoors, and that the motor and everything else is in the hood (I'm vaguely recalling that it was called internal)...wish I could be more definitive on that! As for noiselevel, this is hard to describe, and I've got no expertise in decibels. On low, it's like a quiet background hum, definitely quieter than my microwave vent was before the reno --but if I'm cooking under it, I can't hear my kids' normal talking voices in the kitchen (of course that can be a good thing!). On high it is pretty loud, and I wouldn't want to run it for longer than necessary (unless those same kids are bickering!) As for whether the 600 cfms will be enough for you, think about you'd like to be cooking -- if you'll grill steaks inside or do alot of stirfries, it might not be enough. Good luck!!!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Can only repeat what others have said...What a wonderful transformation/improvement. "OK" to "Fantastic!" A great job in using materials and elements that all are individually wonderful, but yet work well together without fighting. Elegant and comfy at the same time. Destined to be an "inspiration kitchen," for sure.

• wwwonderwhiskers
    12 years ago

Fabulous! And fun to see your cabinet pulls. Tonight just decided that's what I would use in a different finish. Very nice to see them "in action". Enjoy!!!!!!

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

I like it! It's elegant and classy, and the counters are so pretty, especially in the sunlight. It flows perfectly with the living room, too.

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you Rhome! You've been a fabulous help on GW - -I always love to see your posts.

wwwonderwhiskers - - you will be very happy with the Amerock pulls. I ordered samples to be sure of the sizes.

Adrienne2011 - - thank you!

• christy203
    12 years ago

What a transformation. I love your backsplash! Everything you did came out so beautiful.