Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I would like to see less Garbage Disposals

Posted by theresa2 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 16:02

I just don't get garbage disposals. I've had them in the past, but I do not own one now, and now that I have adjusted to living without one I can honestly say it is an appliance I'm glad to be without - here's why:

energy wasters
waste water
jams and breaks
loud
dangerous
eats your silverware and rings
takes up perfectly good usable space beneath the sink
sometime stinks
expensive to install, replace, and repair

most table scraps can be composted
composting is easy
composting can stink if not done right
it's not rocket science to learn how to compost properly

Even if you do not compost, I wonder which is better for the environment, garbage can or garbage disposal. I'm not sure?

Honestly, with all the recycling and composting I'm doing, it takes a few weeks to fill my kitchen size garbage can. And I always have a supply of rich garden soil to use in my garden.

Bottom line. Unless you live in a high rise, I just don't see the point.

Tell me what you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I would like to see less Garbage Disposals

I couldn't live without it! We do have a compost bin outside that I share with 6 other homes (I live in the city) and I put in some stuff, but I don't have the time or energy to walk outside with cut up food every day to dump in in the compost. My house would stink with 2 small kids without the disposal. In fact, I'm in the middle of a remodel and i HATE not having it!

o

You obviously want to get something started, to stir the pot. I am trying not to rise to the bait. I can tell you that not one of the factors you listed has been the case for me, in over 35 years of having disposals, and many items on your list are inaccurate. Evidently you have never had a high-quality disposal. Do some reading of threads on the GW about disposals.

o

I've lived both with and without a disposal, and I prefer to have one, even if it's only for the scraps and crumbs I sweep up when wiping down the counter.

o

> energy wasters
While energy is used, I'm not sure I agree it is wasted. The energy is used to make life easier, just as are many other modern conveniences.

> waste water
Again, not sure about the wasting part, but this is a valid point. More water is used than would be without the disposal.

> jams and breaks
If used properly they shouldn't jam and break. Mine never jams or breaks.

> loud
Modern disposals are fairly quiet

> dangerous
No more so than countless other items in the typical home.

> eats your silverware and rings
I've never had that problem.

> takes up perfectly good usable space beneath the sink
I guess this is true, although it is space that is difficult to use effectively since it is air space below the sink. Regardless, it is space I don't need that badly.

> sometime stinks
It can, but if used frequently it pretty much stays odor free.

> expensive to install, replace, and repair
These should rarely be needed.

I have no desire to hassle with composting, and no use for the compost material anyway. I find the disposal to be practically essential. It also keeps misc. food debris out of the trash so that it doesn't smell up the kitchen. Just my two cents.

o

I think, then, that you shouldn't use one.
As for me, I like mine.

o

I've never had one so I can't say I prefer not to, but I've never felt the need to have one. My Mother, on the other hand, has always insisted on having one installed in every home she's owned. It's a matter of personal preference.

o

I love mine. After years of living without one you would have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers now.

If you are really that concerned about the environment, perhaps you should be living in the woods picking berries. :) Better for the environment than a big house with evil electricity and wood and other materials raped from mother earth.

o

Not interested in stirring up the pot. I do agree it is a convenience, but I wondered about the down side of a GD.

I cannot have a GD, because I have a septic system and it is not recommended for a septic. Now that I don't have one, I don't miss it and I like the benefits of composting. No judgement, just questions. As I said, I do not miss it and it's got me thinking.

o

I've lived with and without one. I prefer with, although I could survive without it as well.

I do a little light composting, but still like the GD.

o

I have septic as well, so no GD. If it wasn't for that, I would run and get one. I guess the grass is always greener.

o

What I put down my garbage disposal becomes this:

o

I have a septic system and a garbage disposal. It works fine. You just have to remember that you have a septic system and limit what you put down the GD to the small stuff.

o

energy wasters - only runs for a few seconds, and it's not a waste to me

waste water - I'm on private well & septic. What water we use goes back into the ground.

jams and breaks - I've never had either

loud - Maybe, just for a few seconds though.

dangerous - common sense is required.

eats your silverware and rings - I've never had that happen either

takes up perfectly good usable space beneath the sink - OK, but I don't have that much stuff under my sink, and I feel a garbage disposal is a worthy use of that space.

sometime stinks - Over the years I've had them smell a few times, easily resolved.

expensive to install, replace, and repair - The only one we replaced we installed ourselves. Not very expensive.

most table scraps can be composted - I do compost what I can
composting is easy
composting can stink if not done right
it's not rocket science to learn how to compost properly

This is the first house I've had that didn't have a disposal, and I DO miss it. I'm tired of picking food bits out of the drain & the sink strainer. As I said above, we're on septic & I do compost what I can. I only want the disposal for the little bits of food that wind up in the sink, I don't plan on putting much in it at all.

If you don't miss it, then don't get one. Thankfully there are choices in this world.

o

"Tell me what you think? "

Is there some reason you enjoy trying to control other people and restrict their choices?
I prefer to not have rotting stuff around my kitchen.

Milorganite and similar products (solids from sewage treatment plants) are NOT recommended for food producing gardens.

The waste contains industrial wastes that should not enter the food chain

It is limited to flower gardens ad lawns.

o

We compost but use our garbage disposal for the "crumbs."

o

Why would you use a 1/2 to 1 HP motor to chew up "crumbs"?

L.

o

To the OP - I am sorry, but I cannot agree with your list items:

energy wasters - how is my 3/4 hp disposal an energy waster? Compare it to, say, watching your big screen TV for one TV show.

waste water - I run the disposal for 30 seconds at a time. Since you compost, I assume you garden. Run the lawn sprinkler much?

jams and breaks - not once in 25 years of disposals.

loud - true, but it's so brief. My coffee grinder is much louder. You'll need to apply that same yardstick to your mixer, blender, vacuum cleaner.

dangerous - I have a batch feed disposal (vs. a continuous feed style). Batch feeds cannot operate unless the cover is on it, so it's safe.

eats your silverware and rings - I have never lost a ring down a disposal. I have dropped an occasional spoon, and the noise makes me stop the disposal in 2 seconds.

takes up perfectly good usable space beneath the sink - not sure what else I'd being doing with those inches directly under the sink drain.

sometime stinks - not with a good quality disposal, and assuming you remembered to run it (rather than let food sit in it without being ground). A poor-quality disposal of less than 3/4 hp (the "badger style") will not grind well. This is not an issue with a 3/4 hp or 1 hp disposal. I put chicken bones down mine, and there is no odor.

expensive to install, replace, and repair - my disposal was about $175. As a percentage of my kitchen renovation, it's a drop in the bucket. As to repairs, mine has never needed one, but if it did, my disposal has a 10-year in-home warranty. Some 1 hp disposals have lifetime in-home warranties.

most table scraps can be composted composting is easy - excludes the many hundreds of thousands of people who live in city dwellings who cannot compost. For me, as a city dweller whose city only provides once-a-week garbage pick-up to millions of its citizens, the disposal is essential, especially in the summer.

This post was edited by akchicago on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 22:42

o

We don't have one as we are on a septic system. I miss having one. I'm used to it now and if I had never had one I wouldn't think twice about it, but I do think they are useful.

o

Brick, not sure why you are making a PSA about Milorganite. If it was in response to my post, I was telling you that my GD (and other fixtures in my house!) are on the INPUT side to making Milorganite.

o

I've never had one, don't really understand them. Having one installed on our newest build (as it is included) and am looking forward to seeing how great they are. :)

o

I have to say I've never seen the need for a GD, because I've always composted and/or had chickens. With backyard chickens becoming more popular, maybe the use of GD will decrease. Plus seems to me, it takes up a lot of realestate under the sink. On the other hand, my mom always had one.... is it life style or generational?

o

Will not be without a GD. Never had any of the issues listed by the OP. When we got married DH installed one because I will not pick pieces of food out of the strainer but rather will push them down the drain. Thats just how I am. DH installed the GD to save the plumbing.

I think composting is a regional thing. I have never met anyone in my area that composts. I have heard that some people here compost grass clippings but thats it.

Even if you find another way to use food scraps bits and pieces will go down your drain.

o

I have 2, one in the cleanup sink and one at the prep.

o

"Why would you use a 1/2 to 1 HP motor to chew up "crumbs"?"

So that I don't have to use my fingers to dig them from the drain. ;-)

And isn't it lovely that we can all support each other and learn from each other yet still respect decisions different from our own!

Cheers, everyone!

o

"Why would you use a 1/2 to 1 HP motor to chew up "crumbs"? "

in many case you need to get up to 3/4 HP or 1 HP to get an all stainless unit.

Or you can hope you catch the leaking before it damages the cabinet bottom.

o

"Brick, not sure why you are making a PSA about Milorganite. If it was in response to my post, I was telling you that my GD (and other fixtures in my house!) are on the INPUT side to making Milorganite."

It was general comment about Milorganite not being necessarily all that 'organic' depending on the city that is actually sourcing the sewage sludge.

o

I have one but only for resale if we ever sell. I don't use ours, no specific reason I just don't. And now that we have food waste pick-up as compost separated from the rest of our garbage the reasons do go down for using it.

o

One thing I've learned on GW is how different kitchens are across the US and the world.

When I first learned here that GDs were banned in some areas I was shocked. The subject of composting was also very surprising to me. While I had heard of composting grass clippings composting food was a new one on me. Recycling and public services (garbage pickup, water, sewer, etc) are also very different in different areas. Its actually a complex issue and there is no right or wrong answer.

Lets all try to remember and learn about these differences when discussing issues. Its quite easy for composters to point fingers at GD users as not being green and wasting energy. Its just as easy for GD users to snicker and roll their eyes at non users.

Not preaching to anyone as I freely admit to occasional eye rolling :)

o

Theresa to each her own. I wouldn't be without one and disagree with most of your points, but not worth wasting any keystrokes to debate it.

This post was edited by island on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 17:12

o

I would hate to be without one. What else am I gonna do with the oogy coagulated oatmeal in the bottom of the pan? In the past I've had GDs on septic systems.

o

/eyeroll

o

I used to have one, and I don't now, and it doesn't really matter to me either way. I do think it's odd to say that you'd "like to see less" of them - why do you care what anyone else does?

o

Add me to the list of can't live without one. All food waste goes down mine, even chicken bones, and have never had a clog or a jam. Over the years I wouldn't even look at an apartment that didn't have one or would not allow me to install one.

o

Theresa2-I'm with you on this one. On septic system, going on 15 years w/o disposal. Don't miss it a bit. (I do have my Solon inset composter which I use daily). Meats get cut up and saved for the dog. Good topic!

I'd like to know more about what one can put down the disposal when on a septic system. Anyone...?

o

I don't use one, other than for incidental small debris that makes it down there, but my wife does. I have two, one in each sink in the kitchen.

"energy waster" -- I sure the o.p wastes more energy daily reading internet bbs than my disposers use in a year. I know I do.

o

oldbat, the last time I was on a septic system was 1993. It was a rental on about 3 acres and we lived there for 5 years. I never heard that you couldn't have a GD on septic. Now, I don't put a lot of stuff down the GD, usually small odds and ends. Never bones!! The horror!!! I'm in the SF Bay Area and don't know if our code is any different than yours. I know a lot of folks on septic and never heard anyone complain about not being able to have a GD.

o

Yes, we were on septic all the time I was growing up and my parents always had a disposal.

As an adult I lived for a long time in a municipality where they were forbidden to everyone because the city was concerned about the old, frail lines they had, and had decided that banning disposals was easier/cheaper than upgrading the system.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 22:26

o

I'm one of those that don't want to waste water and pay for electricity to get rid of garbage that you can compost and use, or biodegrades nicely and enriches the landfill sites.

Also, yes, you can certainly have a garbage disposal on a septic system, you just have to be careful that you inspect and pump your septic tank appropriately. But again, I didn't want to send extra water through our septic system and risk saturating the leach field. Also, I had heard that ground up waste from a disposal could float on the top of the liquids in a septic tank and get washed into the leach field, risking clogging, and I didn't want to take that risk, either. So even though we had a garbage disposal when we had a septic system, we very rarely used it.

o

I am wondering why I replaced mine when it broke. It takes up so much space under my counter and limits me on sink depth on that side of the sink. It does stink sometimes no matter how diligent I am mostly because I don't use it that much. I'm not peeling and chopping fresh veggies every night so I think if I had it to do over again, I'd skip it. It's on a separate side so I don't use it to grind stuff I'd scrape from dishes, mostly because my dogs live for licking the plates....sorry if that was TMI!!! We do use hot water in the DW and we haven't died yet from them doing that... : ))

This post was edited by SaraKat on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 20:54

o

oldbat- Our house is 33 y/o and has always had both a septic system with a gd. I do compost, but have only been doing that regularly since we remodeled the kitchen 3 years ago. Also we are vegetarians and so we don't have to deal with meat scraps etc. I have to say that DH used to design drain fields in a former life and he is VERY on top of what goes down any pipe in our house. But bottom line-no problems.

o

How bizarre. People get emotional over disposals ?!

Calling them an energy waster is a bit extreme because they run so rarely. Just starting your car once a day uses more energy than using the disposal for a few seconds each day.

But I guess they are a strain on the wastewater treatment plant just like they are a problem for a septic system.

o

I grew up with a disposer and septic. There was one time it caused a problem - whether it was the disposer, weather, or something else. My DM told the neighbor kids she was going "honey" dipping and they wanted to help. LOL - the looks on their faces... They didn't actually help but they still remember the story 40+ years later...(and so does DM)

I put one in - I don't use it for a lot, but like knowing I have the power if I need it. I wanted to put in the built in composter that OldBat used but just not enough counter space and living in the city limits my options.

I do put organic scraps in a zip lock and freeze them and hide them under my leaves in a compost bin but I can't put tons of stuff in there.

For living in the city, we have a LOT of critters around
Fox squirrels
Red squirrels
Skunks, skunks, skunks, and more skunks! They are docile unless....
Ground Hogs
Possum
Raccoons - have you ever heard raccoons fight in the middle of the night right by your Bedroom window! Ouch!!
Fox
Coyote
and soon deer - they have landed across the street but so far, no evidence that they crossed our street - but I will be able to tell when the deer candy starts disappearing (arborvitae)
Rabbits
Mice (one took up camp in our grill and not sure who was more surprised when I opened it in the spring - the mouse or me) -
Moles
And lots of birds and other critters that I didn't mention - they are all happy to help with anything left out for them, so I do have to container it....

o

We live in Portland and the city gives us a bin for composting... everything can go in. Meat, vegetables, yard debris. It all goes in one big bin and they collect it every week.

We were not so sure about this when it started a year and a half ago but we like it. We worried about vermin and smells but so far so good.

The place where they compost all that stuff (outside Portland) isn't overly happy with some of the odors they get. I hope that it can be fixed for them. And, we are removing our GD (demolition is two weeks away). We stopped using it some months ago (we never used it that much).

I just don't like that mini septic hole in my kitchen. I hate turning it on. I hate fishing anything out that goes down it. I hate cleaning it. It's not good for the sewer system says the city. Using it causes clogs say the plumbers. We don't need it.

o

I live in the UK, and have never known anyone here have a garbage disposal. We do compost, but what we don't compost either goes in the bin or down the drain, and we've never had any problems x

o

"How bizarre. People get emotional over disposals ?! "

More like irritated over someone trying to control them and their choices.

It probably is "For the children."

It is this little thing called 'freedom'.

Maybe the OP thinks we have to much of that.

o

I think maybe garbage disposals are a religion that I just don't belong to.

o

Regarding GDs and septic systems: InSinkErator makes a GD specifically for septic systems - "Evolution Septic Assist". Yes, we have one.

In our County, if you are on septic, you can have a GD as long as it's one designed specifically for septic systems.

No, we don't have to pump out our septic tank any more frequently and we have not had any issues - no smells, no clogged pipes, no jams, no breaks, etc. We don't put everything down it, but it does get used several times a day. Note: You do have to clean it once in a while - if you don't, then you might have issues with odors. In particular, you need to clean the rubber baffle - actually remove it to clean it. It takes only a couple of minutes to clean...

Loud? Lol! I sometimes can't tell if it's running b/c the running water is louder. So, no, it's not loud.

I wonder if the OP is only experienced with "badger" type GDs - those cheap ones that builders and landlords install.

Oh, and it's not expensive to purchase or install - unless, of course, you have a plumber who gouges you? That's not the GD's "fault". It was actually one of the less expensive items! (Have you looked into "angled plugmold"?)

BTW...I have to agree with Brickeyee and others about "stirring up the pot", etc. All you have to do is look at the subject of the post...

Here is a link that might be useful: InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist®

o

>Meat, vegetables, yard debris.

Meat? Really?

o

"I would like to see less garbage disposals."

I would like to see fewer. I hate seeing them. They are always in my face when I visit people. Seriously, why can't they be installed out of sight?

o

I've never had one and always thought these were illegal in all of Canada but now I realize that its just many cities have banned them. I've used them while staying in timeshares in the US (only because there were no compost bins) and can't say I would ever care for one for many of the reasons OP brought up. When I was little, I'm pretty sure my parents just tossed scraps in the garbage since composting wasn't very popular but ever since I've been out on my own I've been composting mostly due to the provincial incentives resulting in increased popularity (i.e. supplying you with kitchen compost bin and a curbside compost bin). Composting is just the norm in most of Ontario (and possibly Canada). I definitely don't find it to be a lot of work . I buy biodegradable bags off ebay for dirt cheap to line my bin and fill away. I find it gets stinky after 2 days but by that time its usually full and time to take out to the compost bin anyway.

I definitely think its a personal preference thing and has a lot to do with the culture you grow up with. I don't think I know a single American without one and a single Canadian with one.

On another note....and I'm not trying to single anyone out here, but I feel the OP just stated her opinion and wasn't trying to control or force anyone to agree. I also didn't find her "bashing" garbage disposals and I'm not sure why so many people seem to be getting upset by this post. I think a good debate is healthy so long as people keep it positive and polite!

o

^ i think it was the title of the post. if she'd like to see less garbage disposals, she doesn't have to have one, but the way the title is worded makes it seem as if it's something she'd like to see less of amongst the population ...like when i say i'd like to see less government spending ...kwim?

i can see how the post would rub some the wrong way, but i also realize that sometimes our writing doesn't convey the entire message. no harm done. as long as no one recommends we legislate against them i think we're fine.

that goes for crock pots, too.

o

I was so happy when mine broke and I could finally have a reason to remove it! To me it's a sewer in the kitchen. Stinky and gross.

o

I agree with what Erin said, and it does seem to be a regional thing.
I have never ever seen one.

o

The house I grew up in, built in 1948, had both a dishwasher and a garbage disposal from the get-go. I remember my mom putting lemon peel through the GD to make things smell nice.

If you run the GD whenever you put food scraps in it, and run water till the GD is clear, I don't see how it becomes a sewer in your sink.

o

What's wrong with crockpots!!????

Different municipalities do different things with their sewage which may impact how GD friendly they are.

o

I took mine out when it broke. I compost everything that I can and didn't think that I would miss it as I used it very little. But, like another poster above, I find the need to clean that drain basket very annoying (even though it is not hard to do) and would rather be able to swirl those little bits down the disposal. I am lazy that way I am afraid.
Yes, even though it may be slight, it is a "luxury" use of electricity. Not an issue for most of us and hopefully we will never be faced with power shortages, brownouts etc again where we will need to consider every little usage of power.

o

oops, sorry fori. i meant to say pressure cookers. although i don't wish to make light of recent events.

o

So this belongs on hot topics? lol

o

Thanks all for the info on septic systems and GD's. We have our system pumped annually and I would hate to ever have anything go wrong with it.

o

Respectfully, you cannot see LESS garbage disposals. You can, however, see FEWER. These words aren't interchangeable.

o

OK all you non garbage disposal people, here's a probably stupid question: How would you dispose of a thick, chunky stew/soup that had gone bad?

o

Toss it in the garbage, then take the garbage bag out to the garbage can in the garage.

o

Disposing of a thick stew/soup gone bad - put it into a sealed bag, toss it in the wheelie bin just outside the back door - simple :) Same thing we do with anything smelly, like cat poop from the litter box, fish or anything spoilt.

o

I would never put a thick, chunky stew down my GD into my septic system. I would put it in the garbage and take the garbage out to the garbage can outside.

o

I do have a GD, but for a stew I would pour the liquid down the drain and throw the solids in the trash. I don't intentionally put large quantities of meat down the GD. I really do use those 3/4 HP bad boys (have one at my prep sink, too) to dispose of the scraps at the bottom of the sink, since I compost all vegetation. So worth it. I hate picking the gunk out of the strainer basket.

o

Mrs. Pete, THANK YOU. I keep having the same reaction every time I see this title. Probably not helped by the general crankiness and judginess of the post itself.

o

Stew gone bad? With or without a GD, I'd pour it into a freezer bag, and put it in the freezer until garbage day. I hate to stink up my garage.

Then I'd have to yell at someone for letting that food go to waste.

o

Stew gone bad that's too runny for the trash but too thick for the kitchen drain: pour it in the toilet. Doesn't everyone do this?

o

This is getting good. :P

Circus, I never thought of that. However, isn't the destination from the sink and from the toilet the same?

I don't think I could put food gone bad, even if in a plastic bag back in my freezer. I have put some pretty awful things in my garbage can (outside, thank God) and have survived till collection day.

o

Good God!!!!! It ain't rocket science to realize that a toilet is NOT a garbage disposal!

o

Yes, writersblock, even meat.

My DH layers our yard debris with our kitchen scraps so the container stays pretty clean.

Really, it has worked out pretty well for the last 18 months. Better than we expected.

Here is a link that might be useful: portland composts

o

Good to see others put odd things in the freezer sometimes too!

I also throw food around outside instead of putting it down the GD or in the trash.

To each his own, lol.

o

It ain't rocket science to realize that a toilet is NOT a garbage disposal!

Hate to tell you, but there is usually only a small step that happens to food before you put it in the toilet....

I would do the same as Circus (if I didn't have a GD).

o

I think I just heard my GD snicker.

o

Except I think that the waste has to break up easily. Kleenex down the john is a no no for the same reason.

My how this conversation has digressed, lol.

o

"Hate to tell you, but there is usually only a small step that happens to food before you put it in the toilet.... "

Around 20 feet actually, with a lot of processing.

o

That's interesting, donaleen. I'd always read/heard that meat and dairy are about the only things not to put into compost

o

writersblock: that is true because home compost systems aren't fast/specialized enough. Portland discourages people with home compost of using meat/dairy/etc, but claims they use "specialized processes to quickly break down the organic matter. Compost from these businesses is sold to landscapers and other agricultural users"

Putting food down the GD (or toilet) is just added stress on any septic or sewer system. The more you send down to your home septic, the sooner you'll have to get it pumped. I'm too cheap to find that reasonable, so I compost. My garden appreciates it, too. If others don't care, it doesn't matter to me, though. :)

RE: spoiled soup (or, more likely, spoiled milk).... I would pour straight into the outside garbage can. Same goes for any cooking oil/grease. I don't want it sitting in my inside garbage, and I don't mind walking it outside. My climate and lack of critters lets me get away with that without issues.

o

"I'd always read/heard that meat and dairy are about the only things not to put into compost"

For most of us, life is just a lot simpler if we avoid these types of products in compost, and I think that is why they aren't usually recommended in household compost piles - it takes a lot more work and care to get your pile hot enough for them to decomposes safely. Also, many find that they are much more attractive to local vermin than ordinary veg waste. Indeed, my cousin won't even put any cooked veg waste in her bin because of the fox/raccoon activity in her town. I've never had any problems with wildlife in my yard (mice excepted) but my bin is sturdy enough to thwart even the local coyote population.

My city is experimenting with curbside compost pick-ups, and I think meat is allowed, but the facilities that process stuff on that type of scale will have the technology to properly process it.

o

My trash cans are outside, not in the garage. Anything too pungent in them will be guaranteed to attract various critters and they'll create a mess getting to it. Disposing of spoiled food is one of the best benefits of a garbage disposal. I wouldn't put it in the trash unless if feels like something that is too much for the disposal.

And all your plumbing goes to the same place and gets the same municipal wastewater treatment. I can't speak to septic systems but there is really no major difference between putting stuff down the disposal or the toilet, except that the disposal helps break larger food waste down.

o

This is reminding me of our trash can in the garage during summer, growing up. It would get flies and maggots. No GD's were allowed in our township either. Mom always had a gross bag of debris in an open plastic corner waste tray in the sink. Specifically made for collecting stuff. They probably don't make them anymore. Probably why I don't like anything like that around the house.

o

For most of us, life is just a lot simpler if we avoid these types of products in compost, and I think that is why they aren't usually recommended in household compost piles - it takes a lot more work and care to get your pile hot enough for them to decomposes safely. Also, many find that they are much more attractive to local vermin than ordinary veg waste. Indeed, my cousin won't even put any cooked veg waste in her bin because of the fox/raccoon activity in her town. I've never had any problems with wildlife in my yard (mice excepted) but my bin is sturdy enough to thwart even the local coyote population. - Cooksnsews

Yeah, my good friend here in Brooklyn hosted a colony of baby rats when she put all her food waste in the compost pile - went out to give it a stir and all these little long-tailed critters went scampering. Needless to say, she changed to a sturdy bin and no meat or dairy scraps. Blech.

Never had a GD, since they were banned in NYC for a long time due to the strain on the sewer system, especially in pre-war apartment buildings with old pipes. Now that they're approved, I'm not interested. Stinky waste gets double-bagged and taken to the outside trash can right away.

o

The toilet thing is learned from a European parent, who grew up where there are no garbage disposals and no private septic fields. If it's all ending up in municipal wastewater management, why not use the larger pipes that are less likely to clog?

It's not supposed to be a great idea to have a GD on a septic field, but many seem to manage it just fine without overloading their entire leach field. As anything else I imagine the key is in moderation.

And this thread is just another chance to use the Canadian: Garburator. Garburator! 'Fess up, who doesn't want to say that word out loud as many times as possible?

o

I live in the country and have a septic system. I currently do not have a garbage disposal, but am thinking about installing one in our new kitchen. We do compost, but it is the random things that go down the drain that I am considering installing a gd for. I too hate digging stuff out of the drain, and I tend to put those chunky soups down the drain anyway with water running and jamming those pieces of carrots down with a fork. We have lived here 26 years and gotten the septic system pumped out once...lol no problems...actually got a new system 10 yrs ago (not because anything was wrong with the old one...it just wasn't on our land) and it has yet to be pumped out. I'm undecided on the whole gd thing.

o

circuspeanut...I too use the toilet for disposal, or try to encourage for those soggy leftover cornflakes (anything to decrease the amount of stuff I have to force down the drain in the kitchen). Growing up I had a friend with a garburator...I always thought it was the brand name!

o

We didn't have one at our old house (septic system), won't have one at our new house (another septic). I know there are gds that are designed for use with septics, but it really seems like a "why bother" to me.

I guess I'm confused. Garbage disposals don't take up much room. And if you have one, no one is making you use it. You can still do composting if that's your thing (I compost, but I know that not everyone does). Why would you, OP, want to see fewer garbage disposals?

o

I saw a science article recently where cities are piloting use of garbage disposal to liquefy and generate energy. Useful counterpoint to this discussion I think. I think Philly was one of the cities in the pilot program. Food waste in garbage is a major problem in landfills. I agree about composting and try to compost as much as a I can. I do have a disposal on one of the sinks but not in the other. Have to see how it works.

o

Milwaukee, garbage disposals to energy

Here is a link that might be useful: Milwaukee

o

circuspeanut: I love Garburator! I'm going to start saying that. Fewer syllables than "garbage disposal." Let's see if we can get it to catch on.

o

If you don't like them, then don't get one. Pretty simple solution.

We have two--one at the main sink and one at the prep sink. The prep GD gets the most action. If I notice any smells, I give it a little lemon or baking soda action. That works quite well.

o

I'm the OP. I've been busy with summer stuff, had no idea there were so many replies to my OP. Sorry if I offended anyone. I really wasn't trying to stir things up other than food for thought. I do not enjoy telling people what to do, so sorry if it came across that way. I should have worded my post a lot better, especially my title as many of you have pointed out. If you knew me in RL, you'd know that I'm not a bully and I'm surely not bossy. Just some sloppy writing on my part. . . I apologize for that.

I read all your post and learned quite a few things. I think it was a interesting discussion.

Thanks for all your comments.

o

Finally I have learned why some people do not like garbage disposals! Honestly, I was perplexed when I heard a friend of mine adamantly say she would NEVER have a garbage disposal, and I was too intimidated by her tone of voice to question her, but every time I use mine, I wonder what she could possibly not like about it.

Garbage disposals don't stink, but the lack of one does. The food waste smells in the kitchen wastecan until someone takes it to the garbage can in the garage, where it continues to smell until garbage pick up day.

I do food prep at my sink, and absolutely detest having to fish food particles out of the strainer. This is the main reason I want a disposal, so I can just send it down the drain without the threat of a clogged drain.

I am very sensitive to noise, and until you mentioned how noisy they are, have never noticed the sound as being intrusive. I think the loud sound serves as a warning that the disposal is chopping, and everyone better keep their hands clear of the thing, so it's a good thing.

It may use water, but fortunately water is a renewable resource, so I'm not concerned about how much I use.

I could not live without my garbage disposal. It makes life in the kitchen much more convenient, keeps our house cleaner and free of bad odors, and cuts down on the amount of garbage we put out to the curb each week.

o

Finally I have learned why some people do not like garbage disposals! Honestly, I was perplexed when I heard a friend of mine adamantly say she would NEVER have a garbage disposal, and I was too intimidated by her tone of voice to question her, but every time I use mine, I wonder what she could possibly not like about it.

Garbage disposals don't stink, but the lack of one does. The food waste smells in the kitchen wastecan until someone takes it to the garbage can in the garage, where it continues to smell until garbage pick up day.

I do food prep at my sink, and absolutely detest having to fish food particles out of the strainer. This is the main reason I want a disposal, so I can just send it down the drain without the threat of a clogged drain.

I am very sensitive to noise, and until you mentioned how noisy they are, have never noticed the sound as being intrusive. I think the loud sound serves as a warning that the disposal is chopping, and everyone better keep their hands clear of the thing, so it's a good thing.

It may use water, but fortunately water is a renewable resource, so I'm not concerned about how much I use.

I could not live without my garbage disposal. It makes life in the kitchen much more convenient, keeps our house cleaner and free of bad odors, and cuts down on the amount of garbage we put out to the curb each week.

o

I have not had one and its been 24 years of catching food in a drain and hitting the drain on the side of a garbage can and then using a paper towel or what not to wipe the sink clean of food debris. In a lot of homes if you don't get the food out of your home, you are looking at a bug problem and no matter how diligent one is, a dog is a dog and will find its way to food usually in a garbage bag that is then broken open and strewn across the floor or yard.
I am starting remodel and I am chosing to go with a garbage disposal because I find I actually use a lot of water to clean the sink and then when one of my 4 teenagers has dumbass moment & forgets and pours oatmeal down the sink, well that's just going to bring anyone to tears and talk about a waste of water! so yeah, count me in on the garbage disposal team.

o

Two years ago we moved from the city, where we have had a disposal forever, to the country, where we have septic and there was no disposal in place. I told my husband we had to install one and he said he wasn't sure if we could, but would look into it.

Two years later, we are still living without and now I am very glad we have. I am with the OP and will now not go back to living with one. I thought I HAD to have one. I now realize that they were way more trouble than they were ever worth. It WAS always clogging and inopportune moments (that was a great Thanksgiving), it WAS always a huge waste of energy and water to then waste the perfectly usable scraps of food instead of composting, it WAS always very loud, and it DID always eventually no matter how careful I was eat a piece of my silverware or other small thing that made it's way down the drain, and yes... it DID smell once in a while and required extra care and attention.

I am glad there are at least a few who feel the same way.

o

homeimprovementmom I am with you! Hubby pours left over everything down the sink (for some reason I can't convince him to use the toilet) and it is a hassle to clean it up. In our reno I am getting a disposal, have been 27 yrs without and can hardly wait! I doubt I will use more water with it than I already do cleaning the debris up.
Alison

o

Good for you.

As for me, I love having a garbage disposer. I have to laugh at some of those reasons for not having one... especially the one about silverware and rings... if that happens to anyone, they're probably not responsible enough to have a garbage disposer and should steer clear!

Also, some people should not own pets. Let's start a list on all the reasons why.

o

hey only for Testing purpose...

o

I know this is an oldish post. I noticed several people saying they can't have a GD because they have a septic system. We have a 23y/o septic system, have always had a garbage disposal and haven't had any problems. I'm putting 2 gargage disposals in the new kitchen (main & prep sink).

o

To the Op, please close your eyes, as my kitchen is getting a face lift, and I can't wait for my new garbage disposal. Mine broke about a year ago and I think my kitchen stinks (literally) without it!
Oh, and I do not throw garbage down my toilet, EWWWW

I use it very little, but it's a convenience, I did not like being without! I will go hug a tree today however. LOL Tongue in cheek!

Red

o

I have never had one. I don't even understand what they're for. I mean, yeah, I know what they're for... but I guess since I've never had or used one I just don't know what I'm missing.

When we redid our kitchen 3 years ago (man that time has flown by) I didn't even consider putting a GD in. Again, have lived without it for so long, it didn't even occur to me to research it, and anyway my sink cab is tiny.

o

They're not permitted in some Canadian cities period, including Toronto where some homes sewer and storm drains are combined and as such, anything going down the sink ends up directly in Lake Ontario. Too much organics = bad times for the lake.

We have weekly compost pickup in Toronto. I have a small stainless steel bucket / lid from Lee Valley Hardware on my (gasp) marble counter top in my all white fancy-shmancy kitchen. Special biodegradable plastic bags are used in these in-house compost collection bins. When its full, we take the bag and toss it in the green bin in the back yard which lives in a small cedar shed I built for it, our recycling bin and the garbage bin.

Doesn't stink, doesn't smell, no mess at all. All food waste goes into it, as do any paper napkins with food/grease on them etc.

Don't miss our in-sink-disposal unit one bit. Its been years since we got the weekly compost pickup and there was a lot of noise about it before it went into practice, and nothing since. We've (Toronto) diverted tons and tons of waste going to landfills every day, and all that organic waste that was going down the drain isn't taxing our water processing plants.

Wasting electricity and water to grind up your wasted food all adds up to a massive waste of valuable resources.

Anyone who is so stuck in their ways to suggest they couldn't possibly live with or without something as ridiculous as a garbage disposal needs to take a good long look in the mirror and give some thought to what's important to them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here