Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa2_gw

I would like to see less Garbage Disposals

theresa2
11 years ago

I just don't get garbage disposals. I've had them in the past, but I do not own one now, and now that I have adjusted to living without one I can honestly say it is an appliance I'm glad to be without - here's why:

energy wasters
waste water
jams and breaks
loud
dangerous
eats your silverware and rings
takes up perfectly good usable space beneath the sink
sometime stinks
expensive to install, replace, and repair

most table scraps can be composted
composting is easy
composting can stink if not done right
it's not rocket science to learn how to compost properly

Even if you do not compost, I wonder which is better for the environment, garbage can or garbage disposal. I'm not sure?

Honestly, with all the recycling and composting I'm doing, it takes a few weeks to fill my kitchen size garbage can. And I always have a supply of rich garden soil to use in my garden.

Bottom line. Unless you live in a high rise, I just don't see the point.

Tell me what you think?

Comments (102)

• decordummy_gw
    10 years ago

I agree with what Erin said, and it does seem to be a regional thing.
    I have never ever seen one.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

The house I grew up in, built in 1948, had both a dishwasher and a garbage disposal from the get-go. I remember my mom putting lemon peel through the GD to make things smell nice.

If you run the GD whenever you put food scraps in it, and run water till the GD is clear, I don't see how it becomes a sewer in your sink.

• Fori
    10 years ago

What's wrong with crockpots!!????

Different municipalities do different things with their sewage which may impact how GD friendly they are.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I took mine out when it broke. I compost everything that I can and didn't think that I would miss it as I used it very little. But, like another poster above, I find the need to clean that drain basket very annoying (even though it is not hard to do) and would rather be able to swirl those little bits down the disposal. I am lazy that way I am afraid.
    Yes, even though it may be slight, it is a "luxury" use of electricity. Not an issue for most of us and hopefully we will never be faced with power shortages, brownouts etc again where we will need to consider every little usage of power.

• kateskouros
    10 years ago

oops, sorry fori. i meant to say pressure cookers. although i don't wish to make light of recent events.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

So this belongs on hot topics? lol

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the info on septic systems and GD's. We have our system pumped annually and I would hate to ever have anything go wrong with it.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Respectfully, you cannot see LESS garbage disposals. You can, however, see FEWER. These words aren't interchangeable.

• gin_gin
    10 years ago

OK all you non garbage disposal people, here's a probably stupid question: How would you dispose of a thick, chunky stew/soup that had gone bad?

• sas95
    10 years ago

Toss it in the garbage, then take the garbage bag out to the garbage can in the garage.

• psg007
    10 years ago

Disposing of a thick stew/soup gone bad - put it into a sealed bag, toss it in the wheelie bin just outside the back door - simple :) Same thing we do with anything smelly, like cat poop from the litter box, fish or anything spoilt.

• prospect711
    10 years ago

I would never put a thick, chunky stew down my GD into my septic system. I would put it in the garbage and take the garbage out to the garbage can outside.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I do have a GD, but for a stew I would pour the liquid down the drain and throw the solids in the trash. I don't intentionally put large quantities of meat down the GD. I really do use those 3/4 HP bad boys (have one at my prep sink, too) to dispose of the scraps at the bottom of the sink, since I compost all vegetation. So worth it. I hate picking the gunk out of the strainer basket.

• youngdeb
    10 years ago

Mrs. Pete, THANK YOU. I keep having the same reaction every time I see this title. Probably not helped by the general crankiness and judginess of the post itself.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Stew gone bad? With or without a GD, I'd pour it into a freezer bag, and put it in the freezer until garbage day. I hate to stink up my garage.

Then I'd have to yell at someone for letting that food go to waste.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Stew gone bad that's too runny for the trash but too thick for the kitchen drain: pour it in the toilet. Doesn't everyone do this?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

This is getting good. :P

Circus, I never thought of that. However, isn't the destination from the sink and from the toilet the same?

I don't think I could put food gone bad, even if in a plastic bag back in my freezer. I have put some pretty awful things in my garbage can (outside, thank God) and have survived till collection day.

• cooksnsews
    10 years ago

Good God!!!!! It ain't rocket science to realize that a toilet is NOT a garbage disposal!

• Donaleen Kohn
    10 years ago

Yes, writersblock, even meat.

My DH layers our yard debris with our kitchen scraps so the container stays pretty clean.

Really, it has worked out pretty well for the last 18 months. Better than we expected.

Here is a link that might be useful: portland composts

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Good to see others put odd things in the freezer sometimes too!

I also throw food around outside instead of putting it down the GD or in the trash.

To each his own, lol.

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

It ain't rocket science to realize that a toilet is NOT a garbage disposal!

Hate to tell you, but there is usually only a small step that happens to food before you put it in the toilet....

I would do the same as Circus (if I didn't have a GD).

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I think I just heard my GD snicker.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Except I think that the waste has to break up easily. Kleenex down the john is a no no for the same reason.

My how this conversation has digressed, lol.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"Hate to tell you, but there is usually only a small step that happens to food before you put it in the toilet.... "

Around 20 feet actually, with a lot of processing.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

That's interesting, donaleen. I'd always read/heard that meat and dairy are about the only things not to put into compost

• lolauren
    10 years ago

writersblock: that is true because home compost systems aren't fast/specialized enough. Portland discourages people with home compost of using meat/dairy/etc, but claims they use "specialized processes to quickly break down the organic matter. Compost from these businesses is sold to landscapers and other agricultural users"

Putting food down the GD (or toilet) is just added stress on any septic or sewer system. The more you send down to your home septic, the sooner you'll have to get it pumped. I'm too cheap to find that reasonable, so I compost. My garden appreciates it, too. If others don't care, it doesn't matter to me, though. :)

RE: spoiled soup (or, more likely, spoiled milk).... I would pour straight into the outside garbage can. Same goes for any cooking oil/grease. I don't want it sitting in my inside garbage, and I don't mind walking it outside. My climate and lack of critters lets me get away with that without issues.

• cooksnsews
    10 years ago

"I'd always read/heard that meat and dairy are about the only things not to put into compost"

For most of us, life is just a lot simpler if we avoid these types of products in compost, and I think that is why they aren't usually recommended in household compost piles - it takes a lot more work and care to get your pile hot enough for them to decomposes safely. Also, many find that they are much more attractive to local vermin than ordinary veg waste. Indeed, my cousin won't even put any cooked veg waste in her bin because of the fox/raccoon activity in her town. I've never had any problems with wildlife in my yard (mice excepted) but my bin is sturdy enough to thwart even the local coyote population.

My city is experimenting with curbside compost pick-ups, and I think meat is allowed, but the facilities that process stuff on that type of scale will have the technology to properly process it.

• hobbesct
    10 years ago

My trash cans are outside, not in the garage. Anything too pungent in them will be guaranteed to attract various critters and they'll create a mess getting to it. Disposing of spoiled food is one of the best benefits of a garbage disposal. I wouldn't put it in the trash unless if feels like something that is too much for the disposal.

And all your plumbing goes to the same place and gets the same municipal wastewater treatment. I can't speak to septic systems but there is really no major difference between putting stuff down the disposal or the toilet, except that the disposal helps break larger food waste down.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

This is reminding me of our trash can in the garage during summer, growing up. It would get flies and maggots. No GD's were allowed in our township either. Mom always had a gross bag of debris in an open plastic corner waste tray in the sink. Specifically made for collecting stuff. They probably don't make them anymore. Probably why I don't like anything like that around the house.

• zeebee
    10 years ago

For most of us, life is just a lot simpler if we avoid these types of products in compost, and I think that is why they aren't usually recommended in household compost piles - it takes a lot more work and care to get your pile hot enough for them to decomposes safely. Also, many find that they are much more attractive to local vermin than ordinary veg waste. Indeed, my cousin won't even put any cooked veg waste in her bin because of the fox/raccoon activity in her town. I've never had any problems with wildlife in my yard (mice excepted) but my bin is sturdy enough to thwart even the local coyote population. - Cooksnsews

Yeah, my good friend here in Brooklyn hosted a colony of baby rats when she put all her food waste in the compost pile - went out to give it a stir and all these little long-tailed critters went scampering. Needless to say, she changed to a sturdy bin and no meat or dairy scraps. Blech.

Never had a GD, since they were banned in NYC for a long time due to the strain on the sewer system, especially in pre-war apartment buildings with old pipes. Now that they're approved, I'm not interested. Stinky waste gets double-bagged and taken to the outside trash can right away.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

The toilet thing is learned from a European parent, who grew up where there are no garbage disposals and no private septic fields. If it's all ending up in municipal wastewater management, why not use the larger pipes that are less likely to clog?

It's not supposed to be a great idea to have a GD on a septic field, but many seem to manage it just fine without overloading their entire leach field. As anything else I imagine the key is in moderation.

And this thread is just another chance to use the Canadian: Garburator. Garburator! 'Fess up, who doesn't want to say that word out loud as many times as possible?

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

I live in the country and have a septic system. I currently do not have a garbage disposal, but am thinking about installing one in our new kitchen. We do compost, but it is the random things that go down the drain that I am considering installing a gd for. I too hate digging stuff out of the drain, and I tend to put those chunky soups down the drain anyway with water running and jamming those pieces of carrots down with a fork. We have lived here 26 years and gotten the septic system pumped out once...lol no problems...actually got a new system 10 yrs ago (not because anything was wrong with the old one...it just wasn't on our land) and it has yet to be pumped out. I'm undecided on the whole gd thing.

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

circuspeanut...I too use the toilet for disposal, or try to encourage for those soggy leftover cornflakes (anything to decrease the amount of stuff I have to force down the drain in the kitchen). Growing up I had a friend with a garburator...I always thought it was the brand name!

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

We didn't have one at our old house (septic system), won't have one at our new house (another septic). I know there are gds that are designed for use with septics, but it really seems like a "why bother" to me.

I guess I'm confused. Garbage disposals don't take up much room. And if you have one, no one is making you use it. You can still do composting if that's your thing (I compost, but I know that not everyone does). Why would you, OP, want to see fewer garbage disposals?

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I saw a science article recently where cities are piloting use of garbage disposal to liquefy and generate energy. Useful counterpoint to this discussion I think. I think Philly was one of the cities in the pilot program. Food waste in garbage is a major problem in landfills. I agree about composting and try to compost as much as a I can. I do have a disposal on one of the sinks but not in the other. Have to see how it works.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Milwaukee, garbage disposals to energy

Here is a link that might be useful: Milwaukee

• ginny20
    10 years ago

circuspeanut: I love Garburator! I'm going to start saying that. Fewer syllables than "garbage disposal." Let's see if we can get it to catch on.

• shelayne
    10 years ago

If you don't like them, then don't get one. Pretty simple solution.

We have two--one at the main sink and one at the prep sink. The prep GD gets the most action. If I notice any smells, I give it a little lemon or baking soda action. That works quite well.

• theresa2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm the OP. I've been busy with summer stuff, had no idea there were so many replies to my OP. Sorry if I offended anyone. I really wasn't trying to stir things up other than food for thought. I do not enjoy telling people what to do, so sorry if it came across that way. I should have worded my post a lot better, especially my title as many of you have pointed out. If you knew me in RL, you'd know that I'm not a bully and I'm surely not bossy. Just some sloppy writing on my part. . . I apologize for that.

I read all your post and learned quite a few things. I think it was a interesting discussion.

Thanks for all your comments.

• DiggingInTheDirt
    10 years ago

Finally I have learned why some people do not like garbage disposals! Honestly, I was perplexed when I heard a friend of mine adamantly say she would NEVER have a garbage disposal, and I was too intimidated by her tone of voice to question her, but every time I use mine, I wonder what she could possibly not like about it.

Garbage disposals don't stink, but the lack of one does. The food waste smells in the kitchen wastecan until someone takes it to the garbage can in the garage, where it continues to smell until garbage pick up day.

I do food prep at my sink, and absolutely detest having to fish food particles out of the strainer. This is the main reason I want a disposal, so I can just send it down the drain without the threat of a clogged drain.

I am very sensitive to noise, and until you mentioned how noisy they are, have never noticed the sound as being intrusive. I think the loud sound serves as a warning that the disposal is chopping, and everyone better keep their hands clear of the thing, so it's a good thing.

It may use water, but fortunately water is a renewable resource, so I'm not concerned about how much I use.

I could not live without my garbage disposal. It makes life in the kitchen much more convenient, keeps our house cleaner and free of bad odors, and cuts down on the amount of garbage we put out to the curb each week.

• DiggingInTheDirt
    10 years ago

Finally I have learned why some people do not like garbage disposals! Honestly, I was perplexed when I heard a friend of mine adamantly say she would NEVER have a garbage disposal, and I was too intimidated by her tone of voice to question her, but every time I use mine, I wonder what she could possibly not like about it.

Garbage disposals don't stink, but the lack of one does. The food waste smells in the kitchen wastecan until someone takes it to the garbage can in the garage, where it continues to smell until garbage pick up day.

I do food prep at my sink, and absolutely detest having to fish food particles out of the strainer. This is the main reason I want a disposal, so I can just send it down the drain without the threat of a clogged drain.

I am very sensitive to noise, and until you mentioned how noisy they are, have never noticed the sound as being intrusive. I think the loud sound serves as a warning that the disposal is chopping, and everyone better keep their hands clear of the thing, so it's a good thing.

It may use water, but fortunately water is a renewable resource, so I'm not concerned about how much I use.

I could not live without my garbage disposal. It makes life in the kitchen much more convenient, keeps our house cleaner and free of bad odors, and cuts down on the amount of garbage we put out to the curb each week.

• homeimprovementmom
    10 years ago

I have not had one and its been 24 years of catching food in a drain and hitting the drain on the side of a garbage can and then using a paper towel or what not to wipe the sink clean of food debris. In a lot of homes if you don't get the food out of your home, you are looking at a bug problem and no matter how diligent one is, a dog is a dog and will find its way to food usually in a garbage bag that is then broken open and strewn across the floor or yard.
    I am starting remodel and I am chosing to go with a garbage disposal because I find I actually use a lot of water to clean the sink and then when one of my 4 teenagers has dumbass moment & forgets and pours oatmeal down the sink, well that's just going to bring anyone to tears and talk about a waste of water! so yeah, count me in on the garbage disposal team.

• kai615
    10 years ago

Two years ago we moved from the city, where we have had a disposal forever, to the country, where we have septic and there was no disposal in place. I told my husband we had to install one and he said he wasn't sure if we could, but would look into it.

Two years later, we are still living without and now I am very glad we have. I am with the OP and will now not go back to living with one. I thought I HAD to have one. I now realize that they were way more trouble than they were ever worth. It WAS always clogging and inopportune moments (that was a great Thanksgiving), it WAS always a huge waste of energy and water to then waste the perfectly usable scraps of food instead of composting, it WAS always very loud, and it DID always eventually no matter how careful I was eat a piece of my silverware or other small thing that made it's way down the drain, and yes... it DID smell once in a while and required extra care and attention.

I am glad there are at least a few who feel the same way.

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

homeimprovementmom I am with you! Hubby pours left over everything down the sink (for some reason I can't convince him to use the toilet) and it is a hassle to clean it up. In our reno I am getting a disposal, have been 27 yrs without and can hardly wait! I doubt I will use more water with it than I already do cleaning the debris up.
    Alison

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

Good for you.

As for me, I love having a garbage disposer. I have to laugh at some of those reasons for not having one... especially the one about silverware and rings... if that happens to anyone, they're probably not responsible enough to have a garbage disposer and should steer clear!

Also, some people should not own pets. Let's start a list on all the reasons why.

• viet_gunjan
    10 years ago

hey only for Testing purpose...

• romy718
    10 years ago

I know this is an oldish post. I noticed several people saying they can't have a GD because they have a septic system. We have a 23y/o septic system, have always had a garbage disposal and haven't had any problems. I'm putting 2 gargage disposals in the new kitchen (main & prep sink).

• maid_o_cliff
    10 years ago

To the Op, please close your eyes, as my kitchen is getting a face lift, and I can't wait for my new garbage disposal. Mine broke about a year ago and I think my kitchen stinks (literally) without it!
    Oh, and I do not throw garbage down my toilet, EWWWW

I use it very little, but it's a convenience, I did not like being without! I will go hug a tree today however. LOL Tongue in cheek!

Red

• hellonasty
    10 years ago

I have never had one. I don't even understand what they're for. I mean, yeah, I know what they're for... but I guess since I've never had or used one I just don't know what I'm missing.

When we redid our kitchen 3 years ago (man that time has flown by) I didn't even consider putting a GD in. Again, have lived without it for so long, it didn't even occur to me to research it, and anyway my sink cab is tiny.

• Tim
    10 years ago

They're not permitted in some Canadian cities period, including Toronto where some homes sewer and storm drains are combined and as such, anything going down the sink ends up directly in Lake Ontario. Too much organics = bad times for the lake.

We have weekly compost pickup in Toronto. I have a small stainless steel bucket / lid from Lee Valley Hardware on my (gasp) marble counter top in my all white fancy-shmancy kitchen. Special biodegradable plastic bags are used in these in-house compost collection bins. When its full, we take the bag and toss it in the green bin in the back yard which lives in a small cedar shed I built for it, our recycling bin and the garbage bin.

Doesn't stink, doesn't smell, no mess at all. All food waste goes into it, as do any paper napkins with food/grease on them etc.

Don't miss our in-sink-disposal unit one bit. Its been years since we got the weekly compost pickup and there was a lot of noise about it before it went into practice, and nothing since. We've (Toronto) diverted tons and tons of waste going to landfills every day, and all that organic waste that was going down the drain isn't taxing our water processing plants.

Wasting electricity and water to grind up your wasted food all adds up to a massive waste of valuable resources.

Anyone who is so stuck in their ways to suggest they couldn't possibly live with or without something as ridiculous as a garbage disposal needs to take a good long look in the mirror and give some thought to what's important to them.