Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Context matters

Posted by linelle (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 15:59

I just got back from three weeks in Jerusalem and other parts of Israel. Everything is tile and limestone. The Armenians do beautiful hand-painted tiles and I came *this* close to buying a set for a focal point in the shower. Not that I'm remodeling my bathroom, just for if and when I do. I talked myself out of it (weight, fragile, what am I thinking?). Even though I'm not a blue person, the cobalts were breathtaking.

Now that I'm home, I realize that I loved all that stuff there, in that place. In my little bungalow, it would have seemed like an alien visitor.

A bit of tile from the wall of the magnificent Dome of the Rock:
tile

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Context matters

Beautiful!

o

Wow. Gorgeous.

o

That's a beautiful picture.

I did the same thing in Portugal a number of years ago. So glad I didn't take those tiles home because they would still be in my garage.

o

Funny you mention this. I'm going to Marrakech in 2 months and thought I'd like to get some tiles there to incorporate into our new build -- we'll be breaking ground around the time I leave.

I'm still undecided, as I love the look of these beautiful tiles, yet my home will be very traditional with a rather soft neutral palette. Perhaps I can find a place for them in a secondary bath????

o

We're going to build a circa early 1930's bungalow, and I've been thinking about some tile like this for a tile rug in our main bathroom. I do think some of the patterns and colors would look out of place. I am a quilter (I tend to use modern fabric with traditional patterns) so I also feel like it would reflect what I love a little more.

o

I agree that context matters. But I think it is still possible to incorporate global things you love in your own home. There is a little village in southern india which is renowned for its tiles. I love these tiles and will at some point find a way to include them in my home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Athangudi Tiles

o

Context does matter, although I totally agree that with care, you can incorporate the beautiful things you find when you travel. Some of it is thinking about what will work with what you have at home and some of it is just whether or not you like the global, well traveled look.

My husband and I were in Venice years ago, oohing and ahhing over, well, a lot of things. Trying to decide what to bring home, we concluded that one of the really ornate masks (Venice is known for masks for carnival) would look out of place in our plain white walled NYC apartment, but the simpler mask we brought home worked beautifully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here