Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jensen605_gw

Upper Cabinet Pull Size

jensen605
12 years ago

I know this has been discussed on here a million times before, but I cannot find an answer to my exact question. What length pulls should I use on my upper cabinets?

I'm going with shaker style cabinets and bar pulls. I've already found info and decided on the 1/3" size for the drawer pulls. But, what about my upper cabinets? Do I go 1/3" there, as well?

My uppers are all 36" cabinets, so 12" pulls? What do I use on the 18" cabinets above the fridge and microwave - 6"?

I do like the look of the longer pulls, but I don't want to go with full length pulls like I've seen on the slab doors.

Thanks!!!!

Comments (13)

• jensen605
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks badgergal. I like what you did with your sizes. I would love to see a photo of the cabinet above the fridge if you have one handy.

Also, I'm curious about how you decided where to place the drawer pulls. I was planning to do them in the center of the drawers, but like what you did with putting them along the tops.

• ControlfreakECS
    12 years ago

Badgergal, can I ask what pulls you used? And is it just an illusion of the photo, or are the pulls on the uppers different from the pulls on the drawers? Thanks!

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Jansen605: below is a picture of the cabinet above my fridge. That pull measures 6 3/8. The cabinet to the left of the fridge is a tall pantry that has an upper door and a lower door. Even though the upper door is taller than the rest of my upper cabinet doors a kept that one pull the same length as the others. So all the uppers are 10 inch pulls except my fridge cabinet.
    As far positioning my pulls, I had seen pictures of pulls put in the middle of the drawers but when I held the pulls up to my drawers, I just liked the way they looked better at the top.
    {{!gwi}}

Controlfreakecs: the pulls on my drawers are the same as the upper cabinets but I used different sizes. The previous picture I posted was a little fuzzy so maybe thats why they looked different. The pulls are from Hickory Hardware. They are the Greenwich in the stainless steel finish. Here Is a close up of them.
    {{!gwi}}

• cakelly1226
    12 years ago

My cabs are a bit shorter 38 in with molding and I used the European pulls too. The size on top were 6 inches and I used a combo of 8 inches, 14 inches and 24 inches on the bottom cabs and pantry. I think they are the perfect size. Don't know if you got yours yet but this company had amazing prices and customer service- gliderite.com.
    I would post pics but I am waiting unil we are fully complete in a week or so:(

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Nice!
    I really like the pulls.
    I am going with one size - but 2 on larger drawers....
    Not as many choices in AB but if I had seen yours, I might have switched colors on the handles!!

BTW - I ordered samples from LookInTheAttic - they carried Copper Mountain pulls that looked nice on the computer. I will not ever order from them again.
    18% restocking fee for unopen and 35% if you open the package!
    Their website is misleading as it says returns in 30 days but unless you click on the returns, you will miss this.
    I suspect they will not last long with their policies.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

I just looked at this post again and have to add that once more the camera is playing tricks because the close up of the pulls that I posted above looks there are two different sizes on that drawer. Those pulls are both 13 inches. I guess the top one looks longer because of the angle.

• ControlfreakECS
    12 years ago

Thank you! I really like them and the price is great! I wanted to find a modern pull that wasn't the standard bar pull that came in multiple sizes without costing $50+ each for the larger sizes! How wide are the large drawers with the 19" pulls? I don't think I'll need any that big, my largest drawers are 40" and I was thinking 12" pulls would work fine. Thanks again!

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Controlfreakecs: glad you like the pulls. I thought they were reasonably priced. I actually got them cheaper through a local hardware store that just sells door and cabinet hardware than any online source. The local store sold them at 30% off retail and there was no shipping and handling charge. Also some of the online places didn't have the bigger sizes. So you might want to check a local specialty hardware store if you have one near your home. The handles seem to be a very nice quality.
    As far as sizes go, I actually used the 19 inch pull on my 36 inch drawers.
    The 24 inch drawers have 12 inch pulls. I have 10 inch pulls on 17 inch drawers. I have some drawers that are only 13 inches wide and those have the 6 inch pulls.
    What I was trying to do was keep various lengths all approximately the same proportion in relation to my drawer widths.
    Her is one more picture that shows the 24 inch, 36 inch and 17 inch drawers:
    {{!gwi}}

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Hi Jensen. Personally, I wouldn't go 1/3 on upper pull size. You might just eyeball your various pull sizes on the uppers to see what looks best or pick the pull size you're using the most on your drawers and use that one. Just be sure you have enough finger space.

OR...you could install them horizontally.

• jcee730
    12 years ago

Hi Breezygal,
    May I ask where you got your pulls? They are exactly what I was looking for! Thanks :)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Here's a slightly better view that shows the pulls and the sizes I used.

The pulls are the Aubrey in polished nickel from Restoration Hardware. I'm very pleased with the quality. I think they might still be 15% off, but not sure.

• dseng
    12 years ago

Breezygirl can tell you for sure, but I think those are Restoration Hardware Aubrey pulls.