Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmidwest

Is this pull shape outdated?

M V
10 years ago

I haven't paid that much attention to what is current, as far as pull shape is concerned. I want to update from my very 80's cream and faded brass pulls and thought something in satin nickel might work.

I found these pulls on clearance and am very tempted since I could replace all 37 pulls in my kitchen, for $20. I may paint the cabinets at some point, so at this price, I could change them again if I wanted to go another direction in the future. Is the shape dated though? I was concerned about going too modern, with the arched top/80's cabinet faces.

Comments (11)

• M V
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A view of the kitchen

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I think they would look fine, and would really unify your kitchen details, a good compromise on style and working with what you've got for cabinets.

The most important point is one you already made: at that price you can hardly go wrong!

• crl_
    10 years ago

Brass is coming back. . . .

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Hey, those are the same cabinets (except darker, and I have arched tops and rectangular bottom doors) I put in when we built in 2007! Had to match my mid-90's china cabinet in golden oak ;-)

I say for $20 go for it (and hang onto the old ones just in case they come back LOL)!

• M V
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm...I found a very similar one in a bag of samples I picked up at home depot. I installed it and it looks really clunky! I actually prefer the old ones to this one! I have another sample, with a vary narrow center bar, but the same spoon shaped end that is much better! Really wish these clearance ones were more like that!

So hard to pass up at .46 a pop!

I know brass is coming back, but I just don't like it even if it was the new ORB...

Maybe I'll try soaking the old ones in ammonia and see if the brass comes off (they are worn to silver in a lot of places)....

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

If the holes line up, what do you have to lose?

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

I think they look fine. If you like the style of the ones you have now, can you use a satin nickel type spray paint to change their color? I don't know of any paint in particular, but I've seen this done to change hardware to black and oil rubbed bronze finishes. Maybe Rustoleum?

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

juddgirl2 said my next suggestion, which is to paint them.

I am with you, I do not like brass hardware any more than I like high-gloss cabinets, no matter how in-fashion they might be.

• schicksal
    10 years ago

I think it's an improvement. Also the cabinet faces don't look outdated to me. I saw the same ones at Lowes a few days ago.

Add me to the brass haters club. Especially the polished stuff from the 1990s where the plating would rub off. The more muted or darker kind is kind of OK though.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I think they are an improvement to what you have and will accent your appliances.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Oh, just noticed exposed hinges (mine are hidden interior cup hinges, the Euro style I guess). Are you going to change those out too? Maybe going with an antiqued or tarnished brass pull would be better so you don't have to worry about the hinges?

I have bright (builder grade) brass-colored door knobs throughout the house, I do plan on replacing them with better quality (don't know color yet) later on but when we put the stair rail on I splurged on antique (unlacquered) brass very ornate supports from I think it was House of Antique Hardware. They sort of look like the same kind of finish on my "distressed" brass hardware on the DR china cabinet & buffet (the stairs are open to DR). I don't have HW on my kitchen cabinets.

Sorry you can't see the full bracket, but this is the only closeup I have.