Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feisty68

need help with supporting granite over dishwasher overhang

feisty68
10 years ago

At the bottom of this post there's a diagram :)

I would really appreciate some advice on a method for supporting a granite counter overhang over a dishwasher at the end of a cabinet run. We are DIYIng a IKEA cabinet install and planning on 3 cm granite counters. The dishwasher is Miele G5285 SCSF Futura Crystal Series.

I know the standard way is to use a panel at the end to support the end of the countertop. I am reluctant to do that however. I already have a counter depth fridge cover panel (gable) on the left of the dishwasher and a cover panel on the right (attached to the sink cabinet to provide extra support). I think it would look crummy to have an additional support panel to the left of the dishwasher - it would wreck the symmetry. Also, I am planning a tall, narrow custom pullout to the left of the fridge and every partial inch counts in my small kitchen.

I don't think it would work to use the fridge panel as support for anything because it's only 5/8" and because the dishwasher side doesn't leave any space for brackets or supports (the dishwasher sides aren't curved at the top - see photo at the bottom of post).

I thought of a solution then found out that a GWer has actually done it :) . Would shelayne's solution be acceptable for my situation? I have lots of room at the back because that cabinet run is 2.25" bumped out from the wall and the dishwasher itself isn't that deep. Posted by shelayne on Sun, May 2, 10 at 15:14

"We had to put brackets over our dishwasher because we have a farm sink to the right, and an oven cabinet to the left of the dishwasher and not enough room to add extra side panels. DH screwed 2 x 4s into the studs (level with the tops of the cabinets, to also act as a support) on the back wall, and then screwed 20" x 20" cold rolled steel brackets to the 2 X 4s. Our fabricator was very happy with them. This worked very well for us because we have the sink cabinet bumped out a little from the wall, and our dishwasher is not as deep as some of the dishwashers by US companies.

Here is a photo:

The brackets were made by Short Run Pro.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freedom Granite Countertop Brackets [url=http://www.shortrunpro.com/countertop_brackets_s_vhv17ytw_vhv13ytw_vhv1ytw.aspx]"

And here's my kitchen design:

Here is a link that might be useful: thread: Granite counter top support over a dishwasher

Comments (13)

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Below I've linked to the product I'm looking at for supporting the overhang over the dishwasher.

I'm also considering a smaller bracket by the same manufacturer to support the planned 15" overhang on my kitchen island. I would need 4 of those to support 5 ft of breakfast bar overhang right?

[Sigh, another specialty hardware product - the shipping on this stuff is killing me.]

Here is a link that might be useful: Freedom Granite Countertop Bracket - 20

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Won't the thickness of that bracket you pictured push the dishwasher too far down and forward?

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply sjhockeyfan :)

"Won't the thickness of that bracket you pictured push the dishwasher too far down and forward?"

I have lots of room at the back of the dishwasher - almost 5" - so pushing forward isn't an issue. Pushing the dishwasher down may be an issue though. I'm not sure how thick the steel bracket needs to be - they list a number of thicknesses to a max of 1/2". [edited to add: the 20x20 bracket is 1/2" thick] If that thickness was required, I would need to add a horizontal stainless filler strip above the dishwasher. Maybe that would look bad?...not sure. The legs of the dishwasher are adjustable so they would allow for that.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 17:18

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Screw some cleats to those panels, one on the back wall, and be done. It's an 80 lb. piece of granite.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input Trebuchet. If I add cleats on either side I will have to add fillers to hide them on both sides because the dishwasher sides rise straight up to the top (see below) - they don't curve. I'm hoping to avoid that to protect my filler space to the left of the fridge so that the hinges operate properly

Unless I am misunderstanding your advice?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

It seems to me that if you have room for a steel bracket between your DW and countertop, you have room for a cleat on the fridge panel and the back wall.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

fiesty68:

I assumed your dishwasher opening was a standard 24" when I suggested blocking on the panels and wall.

The dishwasher sides rising to the top and not curving makes no sense to me.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

A 1" aluminum "L" channel siliconed and and fastened with countersunk 1/2" screws will make an inconspicuous, unobtrusive, and strong cleat attached to a 5/8" particle board panel.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really appreciate your help Annkh, Hollysprings, and Trebuchet :)

So, the thread I linked to below clarified a lot for me! The dishwasher isn't installed yet and I wasn't 100% clear on the installation requirements. I learned a few things:

a. the dishwasher opening needs to be exactly 23-5/8" wide in order to prevent noise issues

b. the dishwasher needs to be installed with no gap between its top and the countertop

What that means is -

1. I cannot use the 20x20 L brackets mounted on the back wall because they would cause an unacceptable 1/2" gap on top of the dishwasher (noise issues)

2. I probably should not use cleats on the sides, because that would create gaps beside the dishwasher sides, which could lead to noise issues.

That leaves an additional panel on the left hand side (bracketed to the wall/floor) as the only solution that will create an acceptable dishwasher install *and* countertop support. Now I have to evaluate how to deal with the resulting asymmetry (more panel on the left hand side of the dishwasher) and figure out if I still have enough hinge clearance on the left hand side of the fridge.

Trebuchet - thank you for the instructions on how to attach a cleat to 5/8" particleboard - that is very useful info that I will use elsewhere in the kitchen install :)

Annkh - I have room at the back, not the sides.

Hollysprings - bingo with your comment on how gaps will affect dishwasher install.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help with noisy Miele Diamond?

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I have an overhang area like this in my kitchen. It's just supported by a wooden box case that goes all the way around the edge & is drilled into the studs (mine is a bit larger than yours). The front is covered with a cabinet fill piece, or something like that. I'll try to post a pic tonight if I remember.

.... nevermind. I totally read that wrong & thought you were leaving a little nook beside the dishwasher that would be open. DUH...

This post was edited by teachertile on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 13:36

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Symmetry is overrated.

• feisty68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for trying to help teachertile.

Sjhockeyfan - sacrilege!