Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angryrooster

Layout, do you think this can be changed or improved

jjaazzy
12 years ago

Wow first time posting and I think I got it! Yippee for me!

Ok, now on to the subject.

Putting together an Ikea kitchen. I have a large very open downstairs where the DR, LR and Kit all share space. The drawing is not to scale in respects to the living room area. I didn't put that into drawing.

In my mind I have all this space but on paper..... NOT.

The objective is to have a clean contemporary space with added storage.

Currently the kitchen is smaller. I have pushed the sink area back 2 feet into the dining room (open space to the left) so the counters front edge will line up with this bump out wall, rather then working within that smaller space. This should make the kitchen much friendlier to work in, with the added 2'x 6' floor space. Not much but I will take itDistancehe Distace between the bump out and corner is 106 5/8" the oven sits within this area.

The refrigerator wall is 92 1/4" Plus if I go over the garage entry door trim I can capture another 1.5" Not ideal but not going to give up a decent cabinet to save door trim. Maybe I should get rid of that trim all together and finisome otherge someother way, or smaller trim.

Cabinet marked #1 is a floor to ceiling Pantry that faces the dining room area. (glitchy Ikea program won't spin it)

Cabinet #2 Base cabinet of drawers 24" wide

Cabinet #3 corner base cabinet with pull out shelves 49"

Going with a full slab door not with a drawer as shown.

Cabinet #4 Base cabinet of drawers 30" wide

Cabinet #5 is a Floor to Ceiling cabinet that will recess into wall C at the corner, existing pantry there now.

Cabinet #6 is the Sink and cabinet.

36" with full slab doors.

To the left of sink is DW

cabinet #7 is 12" pull out

(full slab that slides out with two upper hidden drawers) Thinking if I can reduce the sink base I will make this a 15" wide bank of drawers.

Cabinet #8-9-10 face to the dining room and are 24" wide bank of drawers that are 12 7/8" deep.

Cabinet #11 is just a 9" wide filler space for wine bottles. Not in love with that, just filling in space. DH thought a pull out flat screen thSusanlls out and rotates on a lazy susan would be nice..... maybe.

Cabinet #12-13 24" x 39" tall uppers.

That are to each side of contemporary SS hood. over the 30" slide in range.

Cabinet lazy25" x 39" upper Corner Cabinet with lasy susans

Cabinet #15 30" x 24" upper with over the range micro instfridge under it.

Cabinet #16 Upper over the frige. 36" x 18" x 24"

Plan to use Granite or similar on all counters shown in brown including the DW area shown next to sink. Thinking of bringing solid surface material down the expose wall next to DW and DR side cabinets.

Thinking of having cabinets that face DR done in Walnut or wood grain by the company that does alternate door fronts for IKEA.

The rest of kitchen will be done in their ABSTRAKT white. With minimal door pulls for a very clean look.

Well that's it.

What do you think? Should I move anything?

Ikea didn't like the idea of having cabinets against the Extractor hood but I wasn't sure how to line up the cabinets using a 21". Then I tried to make one a 21" and leave the other a 24" and it came out all skewed looking.

Also I have to pick out a sink so that maybe I can reduce the sink base and increase the 12" slide out. I have 1 large sink now in kitchen and I think I would like a small sink next to a large sink. So plates and such can getgaraged off and maybe save a fork or two going down the gargage disposal. YIKES!

Hopefully these photo's will post for me...... fingers crossed.

The above cabinets are as follows

kitchen
From kitchen

Comments (13)

• User
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is there any way you could post bigger pictures? I can tell there's a kitchen there, but that's about it.

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Marti8a you had trouble. I was able to double click and then click again on the post and it brought up a full screen picture for me. Did you try and click on it? Thanks in advance for looking at it. Let me know please, I could try and post again.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

There's no prep space in that kitchen.

• User
    12 years ago

Can you eliminate what appears to be part of the old wall next to the wine cabinet? It will really box in that wine cabinet space and make it awkward and hard to use. Also, is the counter beside the sink really lower than the sink? Is there a purpose for that? It would be easier if it were the same height.

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marcolo for enlarging for me. Well I make do, and I pump out allot of food in this kitchen. Hosting all holidays for family, open houses for a HS group, & cooking for elderly friends and family. Unfortunately that's all I get. Originally we were going to take the kitchen all the way down the wall through the dining room but were not certain we will stay in this house forever so I have bumped the kitchen out 2ft. which gave me usable cabinets in the 2 corners that are not utilized now. And a whole new row of cabinets that face the dining room. I have 24" on either side of the stove top and I will have to the right an left of the sink. I will have more surface area and cabinets in the new design then I do now. Seen in brown and over the DW which I couldn't show. Thanks!
    I can't create more space just have to use this space the best way possible. I just want to make sure that I didn't miss anything or there is something I could do different. BTW ceiling height is 1.5" short of 8ft.
    Thanks all!

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

might be overall better to move range to left-with 12 in or so of counter on the L side....on the corner between range and frig place corner sink. Get an over the range microwave. Now the peninsula is cleared and you can use it. If the sink is designated to remain in the peninsula,get a smaller one! To the left of sink I see a dishwasher...this is not a kitchen for a large dbl bowl sink. On the peninsula, create rounded corners,have some counter overhang and avoid chunky handles...you can move around this peninsula then and enhance the prep possibilities. This is a good kitchen for a corner sink.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

No, I'd do the opposite. Move the range to the right, fill the corner with a lazy susan, and get at least a smidge of prep space between the sink and the range. Counters in other areas serve no use or function.

• KitchenExpert
    12 years ago

Ikea. You will be the envy of your trailer park!

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kitchen expert, I don't understand why you would come in here and leave a message like that. I don't live in a trailer but if I did, that would be fine as I would have a roof over my head and would be doing the best that I could for the moment. I am however doing quite well, better then you. You know how I know that I am doing better then you, by the way I conduct myself.. I don't hide behind a computer screen and try and insult people. I am kind to the many nice people on these boards who come in here looking for help and offering help. I have enough class to tell people. they did a fantastic job on their project when I like something and keep my opinions to myself when I see something that is not to my liking, as I know everyone has what they like and that is the way it should be.
    I am also not going to spend any time defending Ikea. I have done my homework and I am happy with the reviews I found.

What do you personally gain by making such a comment? Please don't come back to my thread again, if you do, I will placing a complaint.

• User
    12 years ago

I'm still concerned about that bit of old wall. Does it have a purpose? Is it concealing a post that holds up a beam? It would be nice if you could work around it, and not have the pantry face the dining room. Having to walk around the peninsula when you need something would be so inconvenient.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

KitchenExpert, your time here will be short lived. Make one more comment like that, and you will be banned.

Plus, your ignorance is humiliating. Ikea is the best value in kitchen cabinets available anywhere near its price point. You're really at the extreme end of self-humiliation, where the only antidote is the traditional Japanese solution. Don't hesitate. It will be best for you and us.

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcolo, THANK YOU!
    Marti8a The wine cubby back up against the wall, is an another Ikea design glitch, it slams everything against an available wall. I would have that pulled forward flush with the bump out wall face, or I just might end up looking for a way to store a TV in that slot instead, maybe both. Ikea has wraps (idk what else to call it) that would make that area look finished not all hodge podge.
    I can't get rid of this bump out wall entirely. Plumbing pipes run in this wall up to 2nd floor. I might be able to reduce it some, I can see the clean out cover, might be able to reduce it back that far. But, then my tall pantry might look odd. I realize this pantry being on the other side is not ideal but I have another one and I have lots of catering supplies that I don�t use everyday and� well� it will get used.

Herbflavor, your right about not needing that large a sink and sink base. I am going to start looking for sinks that I like. I do want to do some sort of split sink as I am tired of grinding up silverware. But maybe those ss ones with the grate at the bottom might work. I have to do research to see if people like them. What size sink would you suggest?
    I don't want to put the sink in the corner / "Don't put baby in a corner!" No windows in this corner kitchen space. However the whole back of the house is glass that overlooks a lake and that is my view now from the sink so I want to keep that.
    I thought about moving the stove to the right however Ikea only offers 2 corner cabinets and I am up against the one that works best. Plus to end the uppers with a corner cabinet doesn�t look good. If I move it to the left I will share standing space at the sink and really bottle up standing room.
    I work in a 2x2 area now for prep one next to the sink and then the back corner area and it works fine for me so I think that will be ok.
    What about the upper cabinets and the range hood? I see many pictures in here and other sites with the hood up against the cabinets however Ikea suggest space needed to each side. I put 21" cabinets in and they looked odd to me. What do you think?
    Plan to tile the whole back splash up to the ceiling in a glass with ss tile. So I like the idea of having a little breathing room around the hood however I just don't like it in the rendering I might be doing something wrong.
    Someone asked about having the counter lower next to sink again that is an Ikea thing that would all be same surface. I should just pull that DW out and put in a 24" base cabinet for rendering purposes.
    Herbflavor, you mentioned pulls. Your right although I love the big contemporary ss pulls. I want a clean contemporary look and am going to just put in minimal, can barely see em pulls. I might even look into bump latches. Like you have with say a stereo cabinet. You bump it and it pops open. No decision on that now.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

I like 21 in cabs-flanking the hood,from what I see it looks fine....you just need the depth to swing that door open on a regular basis...18 in doors could arguably be a better fit. You have to pace out when you stand back for that door swing how does that affect "cramping" for the person leaning back a bit. Not a biggie. Get a single bowl, deeper sink....look at julien, whitehouse,franke-at their web sites. On to the pantry....is this to open from dining side? let's say yes.... what about a base cab with drawers pulling out into dinette zone...lay counter then an upper leaving 15 in of backsplash height-the upper could be a 15 or 18 in depth-also opening out into dinette[ go to scherrs for this carcass depth-still can use Ikea doors] Now because you layed some counter in there and separated the top and bottom, you get some skooch area around the sink-you can lay some drying implements, or stack dirty plates...extremely useful. All I can say is that our peninsula is behind the frig like that..pull items,turn and you will want that landing area-single sink!...push it over to the right! [now you've got extra bit of counter with pantry re-do]....around the peninsula is where one stations him/herself...the corners and the other spots get the toaster,coffee pot,etc. You will want to face people and other open rooms as you do things. Actually, in truth,a back window with sink under would be the typical configuration....that is not happening here it appears....are you definitely set about no kitchen windows? okay..just be sure....do explain more about your pantry sketch there.