Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Which option do you like best?

nyrgirl35
10 years ago

Which one do you like better? The cabinet designer likes pic # 1 best, but being that the paneled dishwasher is in the middle I need a utensil drawer so I was thinking pic #2

Comments (22)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#2 I think this might work best

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

# 3 I like this one too but I think 3 drawers instead of 2?

• christina222_gw
    10 years ago

I agree, the last option but with three drawers.

• eam44
    10 years ago

So...why is the dw so far from the sink?

• chispa
    10 years ago

How wide are each of the door panels on the upper cabinets? That caught my eye as being a bit too busy with all the vertical lines.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Drawers are better than cabinets in my book every time.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree with EAM44. It looks like you might be taking dripping dishes from the sink across the floor to the DW. Am I seeing that correctly from your pictures?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Can you post your layout?

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

EAM44 I couldn't have next to my sink because then my sink wouldn't be centered. I just have to turn halfway from sink and place in DW.

Chispa I agree I think I might change 1 to glass? The upper cabinets are 24"

I like drawers too but then where do you store your kitchen aid and things too bulky for drawers?

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my layout with the exception of moving the MW next to fridge bc it's a pull down door and would have been too high

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drawings from cabinet place

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pics

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pics

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I figure I have to make some of those upper cabinets glass to break it up, just not sure which ones?

Any opinions on which base cabinets I should make drawers and which to make cabinets? The drawers under peninsula are refrigerator drawers.

I'm also making the wine fridge either 15" or 18" I don't need a 24" and I'm also deciding about the decorative legs by sink and wine area if I should use them or not and should sink be bumped out along with wine fridge?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

So what's the small base between DW and LS?

I have small appliances in my super susan. I don't have a Kitchenaid mixer, though - the top of my mixer comes off the base, so it fits in a smaller height. Do you use your mixer a lot? Could it go in a pantry cab?

One of the best things you can do before you order cabinets is figure out where you will put things, and what will fit where. Drawers are definitely more efficient than cabinets for most things, as long as they are the right size. Things like potholders and utensils near the stove; pots and pans near the stove; dishes near the DW.

Having the DW on the adjacent run is not the end of the world - I had it that way in my old kitchen, and it's that way in my new kitchen. I considered every option possible - and putting the DW next to the sink meant sacrificing storage elsewhere. I don't pre-wash my dishes, so most things go directly from the table to the DW, without dripping. Even if there were a few water drips from sink to DW, it wouldn't be a big deal - my flooring can handle a little water.

• crl_
    10 years ago

My kitchen aid mixer lives on the countertop. In my previous kitchen with drawers all the rest of my small appliances (crockpot, toaster, etc) lived in a deep drawer.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

drawers for sure, no question.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

If you have a DW with a basket for silverware, you can be more flexible about where it is stored. I keep my silverware near the table - it's easier for someone to set the table w/o getting in my way while I'm cooking. My silverware drawer is across the kitchen from the DW but I just carry the little basket over there when I'm emptying the DW. Just thought I'd mention that so you don't think you have to have the silverware by the DW.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else: more drawers = better. Where do you think you'll be using the mixer? Maybe on the counter between the prep sink and the range? I'd keep it close to where you'll use it, if you can. Then see if heavy duty glides can be used in one drawer to hold it. (Check the weight limit for glides.)

• amberm145_gw
    10 years ago

chispa has a REALLY good point. KDs like lots of little doors for balance. If you've got spots where you can only fit a small cabinet, and you've got bigger doors next to it, it looks off. So they put in lots of little doors, and it's all even. However, I have learned the hard way that smaller doors are not as easy to use. I gave up a large cabinet with 2 doors for smaller cabinets with 3 doors. It looks better from the next room, but now when I'm trying to access the dishes in those cabinets, I have open doors in my face. Not nearly as functional as having one big cabinet.

And I never even noticed the "off" cabinets before.

The KDs who suggested this probably made a little extra, too, since more doors cost more money.

• vdinli
    10 years ago

I like the option you posted at 16:56 with the microwave in the wall cabinet. I am not sure of how the drawer below the mw will be used but could you put in a tall cabinet and have the countertop end on top of the DW? I personally would prefer a deeper drawer than a small counter there.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pic at 16:56 was before I realized that was too high for MW because it's a speed oven also with a pull down door.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Why does your sink have to be centered? If it wasn't could the dw go next to it?

I have all drawers except for sink base 9" flat pan cab. and corner cabinet. My big KA mixer is kept on the counter. My KA hand mixer would fit in a drawer. I'm getting a new blender soon and will keep it in the pantry or on the counter.