Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Runnels--cleaning and care

Posted by Stranger_In_The_Alps (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 15:40

We are set on Richlite (paperstone) counters and are also really keen on having runnels cut in (those grooves that serve as a built-in drain board). The Richlite fabricator recommended against it b/c they would be hard to keep clean and there could also be issues with the sealant breaking down b/c of the extensive water contact.

We realize that it will be a bit more maintenance (cleaning frequently, and maybe re-sealing more frequently than the rest of the counter). Any runnels lovers out there care to comment on their experiences?
Cheers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Runnels--cleaning and care

I have short runnels in epoxy resin countertop, probably similar to the phenolic resin Paperstone. I love them! I don't find them difficult to keep clean--just wipe them out when I wipe down the counters. Resealing would be a small sacrifice for such convenience, IMO. The only downside--they are so convenient, I usually have a few rinsed and draining items sitting there, waiting to be put away.

If you are using a dark color, and have hard water, mineral deposits might be a problem. I would expect that with any dark material--a gentle scrubbing should remove those.

o

I don't find them hard to keep clean. At any given time, there are probably a few crumbs there, but it is not really a big deal.

o

The Richlite fabricator recommended against it b/c they would be hard to keep clean and there could also be issues with the sealant breaking down b/c of the extensive water contact.

If the fabricator, who presumably has an intimate knowledge of the product and how it performs over time, is recommending NOT to do it, IMO, you're crazy to go against his advice.

Runnels are cool but I would not risk them in what is a paper product.

o

I agree with Angie_DIY, mine don't get dirty, just crumbs here and there. Mine are cherry treated with pure tung oil. If they fill with water after a lengthy dish washing session, I take the corner of a kitchen towel and run it down each runnel into the sink. Any crumbs go with it. No big deal. You can also use a hand vac to get any crumbs out. But honestly crumbs are rare, we don't prep near them usually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here