Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmieb_gw

backsplash help grout question asap

kimmieb
14 years ago

My installers are supposed to be here any day for my backsplash. I need type/brand and color recommendations from you guys.

Field tile: Sonoma Crackle Subway Ceramic in Creamy 3 X 6

Stovetop splash: Walker Zanger Vibe Mosaic Moroccan in Blue Shadow

Cabinets are Farrow & Ball Lime White

Countertops are Crystal Carrara Marble

Comments (7)

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Positano thanks for responding. I only had to wait a couple of weeks for my whole tile order, it was in stock.

The brand of grout is it Mapei? where do I get it? I have to have all my ducks in a row for the guys installing because they don't speak English too great and I don't want any miscommunication.

Also, do I use that same grout with the feature tiles over the stovetop which are the Walker Zanger Morroccan? The sample below looks really white but, the field tile is white

I love herringbone patterns. That was one of my top choices. I really wanted it all over but you had to buy so much more tile to do that & I thought DH was going to do the BS so I was scared to do anything too complicated. The Moroccan is on paper mesh sheets. I would love to see yours when it is done too.

Pics below:

Here is the WZ Ashbury in the blue but, I think mine is like the crackle shadow. No pictures I can find anywhere. The pattern is what I will have with the border pieces in blue and a line in creamy. The border pieces are called Creamy Crackle Warren Liner & Vibe Blue Shadow Rail Molding.

I have a much smaller area than the sample photos but, you get the idea.

{{!gwi}}

Here is the Moroccan in another color.
    {{!gwi}}

• positano
    14 years ago

Well, I'm no grout expert. Mapei is what my tile store recommended. I think it is a good brand. All I know is that you should not buy the Lowes Brand. I used it in my mudroom and the color was way lighter than the sample.

I would start another post asking for Bill V's advice.

The WZ is beautiful, I would go for a grout color similar to what they used. It looks perfect.

Can your tile store give you some guidance?

Can't wait to see it!

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm going to bump this again hoping to get some help. I must have posted at the wrong time of day because I only got one response. Your help is appreciated!

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

Mapei is sold at Lowes. They make fairly good products. I've used them for tile projects. For grout you have to be sure not to use too much water during clean up. This will cause something called efflouresence (spelling doesn't count!) where a white film is washed out of the grout and dries on the surface. You can sometimes get rid of it with some acid based cleaners (not sure which ones) but it is a pain. Grouting is (for me) the hardest part of tiling. You really really really want to wash it just one more time and that is not good.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Mapei's a good grout, but usually you have to go to a showroom to get it. That means paying a premium price fo it. If you go to Lows, they cary Laticrete (my personal favorite), and over at Home Depot, they have Custom Building Products. Both good grouts. As for picking colors, it's tough without seeing the actual tiles, but here goes..

For the subway tiles, at Lowes, check into Laticrete's Siltstone #16, if you want to blend the tiles. If you want to use a slight contrast and show the brick pattern, look into Laticrete's 39 Mushroom.

At Home Depot, I'd be looking at Custom's #385 Canvas to blend the tiles, and for a slight contrast, look at Custom's #122 Linen, or #382 Bone.

As for the feature above the cooktop, I'd do as you showed in your first pic, and use the same grout as you use for the field tile, to show contrast the tile and really make it stand out.

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Bill, Texaskitchentoo, & positano. I'll report in after it is done! I really appreciate the responses..