Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staticfritz

DIY soapstone drainboard, phew!

staticfritz
16 years ago

well, this took long enough, but I'm really really happy with the results. the following are the step-by step photos of all the work to do the cutout for my farm sink and a drainboard in the soapstone. I was originally going to do runnels, but decided that cleaning them would be a pain, and I would probably be more likely to mess up the fabrication.

The sink surround pieces before:

{{!gwi}}

routed and polished edge for one side

{{!gwi}}

using a jig to cut, row by row, the drainboard with a diamond circular blade saw

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Using a belt sander to smooth

{{!gwi}}

checking the fit

{{!gwi}}

more smoothing

{{!gwi}}

starting to look like something

{{!gwi}}

wet sanding

{{!gwi}}

glued in place, sanding the joints

{{!gwi}}

faucet hole

{{!gwi}}

lining it all up

{{!gwi}}

drainboard closeup

{{!gwi}}

tada!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

• ehs20815
    16 years ago

My first reaction was "No, WAY! Someone did that as a DIY???" It's completely gorgeous. Hope to see more pics of the whole kitchen. Love the stainless farm sink (something new) with the soapstone (something old). Congrats!

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

OMG!!

WOW!!!

• amberley
    16 years ago

I am so impressed. I am coming to your house for lessons when we get our ss. WOW!!!

• cotehele
    16 years ago

Looks great!

• elizpiz
    16 years ago

Wow! Looks fantastic. What brand is your sink? We are pretty much decided on soapstone counters and I'm now debating about whether the sink should be soapstone or stainless. I love the look of the stainless with the soapstone - as has already been mentioned, a great combo of old and new.

• pamela928
    16 years ago

Bravo! Great new idea and shape. Your smooth "ramp" is bound to chip less than runnels. I know you've already thought about this, but do remember to round the exposed edges to discourage chipping.

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

Gah! ba ... d'uuhh. *Slurp*

THAT. Is incredible. I'm not sure I could do that with a bar of cheese - still less on a chunk of rock. Gads, that is lovely. I do love the incremental steps you've shown you've taken to effect the routing. Quel patience! Quel technique! C'est magnifique. You do nice work.

Although personally, methinks you've been criminally cavalier with all that stone dust rubbing around on your gorgeous sink there, fella.

• bethv
    16 years ago

Standing ovation! Great Idea & great execution! When are ya coming over to our house!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Now I wanna do mine! BTW, SS dust is talc, and is too soft to scratch the other SS (stainless). Not that a piece of sandpaper grit couldn't scratch it.
    I hope you wore a mask & hearing protection.
    Casey

• staticfritz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the great compliments guys!
    I had a big BBQ last night and a bunch of people stood there just rubbing my counters, it was great!

That soapstone dust was a beast, luckily i did most of the cutting outside, i looked like i had been rolled in a bowl of flour when i was done.

I've been so happy with the kitchen so far (though it's probably only about 75% done) The one before it was nearly useless, and while nice-enough looking, only had about 3 feet of counter. I've used the same floorspace to quadruple that plus add way more storage, a bigger stove and a bigger sink.

elizpiz-
    the sink was a $400 16ga ebay sink. no name on it whatsoever, but it's been fantastic.

• don_chuwish
    15 years ago

Very cool, I keep debating about whether or not to cut runnels into ours. I'll probably never get around to it just because of the mess, but I like you're idea and method. Thanks for sharing!

- D

• matt.hayes
    15 years ago

StaticFritz: Great job! I am looking for reference materials on how to work with marble/stone so that I can make my own countertops as you have. Any information on books, dvd, would be greatly appreciated.

You can email me directly if you like.

thanks.

• napagirl
    15 years ago

Great job, you have every right to be proud!
    ((clap)) .. ((clap)) .. ((clap))

• sjerin
    15 years ago

WOWEE!!!!! That is absolutely a beautiful job!!

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Whooo hooO! Great job! You should be very proud! The kitchen looks like it will be lovely! Don't forget to share finished photos!

Just think, now you have a skill to fall back on in case you ever need to find new employment! You can use us all as references!!!

• staticfritz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    Unfortunately car trouble (requiring an engine rebuild) and family stuff, and music festivals, etc mean that I haven't done much lately with the kitchen.
    I'll try to get some updated pics at somepoint here...

matt.hayes -
    i learned most of it by messing around with a scrap piece and the information available on m tex and canadian soapstone's sites (and maybe some others too?) did a lot of pokin around online and then just decided to try it!

• creidenouer
    8 years ago

Images are all broken. Any chance you could email? I'd like to do this. Want to see what the saw/jig looks like etc. Thanks! Email is c(donottypethispart)reidenouer@gmail.com.