Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jax1723_gw

Big Update w/ Pics!

jax1723
15 years ago

Finally got around to taking some new photos. While it's not done (a lot of finishing work needs to be done) it's come a long way. It's our first house/renovation and it's been quite an expeience. The bulk of it has been DIY (with the help of family, friends and this board -- thank you all!)

Here's a couple of before shots. Everything was very brown and early 80s. Wish I took more before shots before we tore everything out:

Here's a few "durings". We took out the wall in between the kitchen and DR and removed a closet. Plumbing, heating and electric was all re-routed and upgraded:

Here's where we're at now:

I need suggestions for this window treatment please!:

That's it for the moment. Still need to get stuff done like toe kicks, molding, undercab and island pendant lights, etc. done, but at least it's functional. Feel free to ask anything.

Thanks... this forum has be a HUGE help.

Cheers

Comments (34)

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

• jake20
    15 years ago

Very Nice!

hey, are the cabinets thermofoil?

We were thinking about the glossy look also, but were afraid it may be too modern for most people's taste when its time to sell the house.

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The cabinets are painted in a high gloss white ( made by luxor).

We're going for a modern/contemporary look and plan on being here for a while so we decided to just do what we wanted.

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    15 years ago

Looks great!

What's the backsplash behind the range?

I'd do super simple roller shades for the windows.
    I think Smith Noble had a fabric that was black with some silver to match your stainless steel...

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith-Noble Roller Shades

• giacomo_it
    15 years ago

nice upgrade, welcome back to the 2009 :-)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Whoa! Night and day. I wasn't expecting that. I LOVE the b-splash behind the stove, and the warmth the floor adds to the mix.

• scootermom
    15 years ago

I love it! Contemporary, clean, stylish. I love your granite -- what is it? That ghostly donut on the island is wicked cool.

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. The backsplash behind the range is mini-pebbles. They came on mats but didnt fit too well together so we had to leave bigger seems and glue hundreds of them one at a time by hand. It was pretty tortuous and my friend who was helping (he's a mason) hasn't shown his face here since it was done lol!

• holligator
    15 years ago

Wow! THAT is quite a transformation! Very impressive! You must be enjoying every moment in there now. :)

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

Wonderful - congrats! I had to laugh as the dishwasher panel in the before photo - never seen anything quite like it :)

I'd love to see a closer pic of that backsplash pls

• footballmom
    15 years ago

It looks wonderful! You should be very proud and must just giggle with joy each time you walk into your new space. It is a small functional, but well done space. It really does not even look like it could have been the old space, ever. You have opened it up to be light and airy but modern and warm. Congrats! Post when you get it 100(although it looks fab now)

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again. The granite is Virginia Mist (also called jet mist I think).

Here is a link that might be useful: virginia mist

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a close-up of the stones:

• User
    15 years ago

WOW>...very sleek and sexy !! What a great "cool" space. You have done a remarkable job. c

• twoscoops
    15 years ago

What a fabulous DIY job! I love how all your finishes work together and how your wood floor warms up the space. Your pebbled backsplash is a beautiful focal point; the texture just pops~love it!

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the roller shade link. Would you just use the shades or would you add some type of curtains/valance? I would like to tie it in with the sliding glass door next to it but I'm not sure what to do there either (white curtain is temporary, as is the farmhouse table and light in the dining area).

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

I love it - I am a huge fan of modern/contemporary kitchens. The back splash is a great compliment to the kitchen.

Loved the before photos - especially that rockin' dishwasher....

As far as window treatments, I noticed in one photo art on the wall with red, so you could use something with red in it. I think it would be a nice splash of color on that wall. Or bring in a color to compliment colors in neighboring rooms. I would find a fabric I love (geometric, asian, etc.) and make roman shades.

Below are links to sites selling fabrics:

http://www.contemporarycloth.com/

http://www.eamesfabric.com/maharam.html

http://www.reprodepot.com/fabrics.html

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.makemefabrics.com/sess/utn1549e10d187a36d/shopdata/index.shopscript

http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

In all the kitchens I've seen here on GW, I don't think I've ever seen one with mini pebbles as a backsplash. Brilliant! You've created a unique, calm, modern look - well worth all of the effort of setting the pebbles by hand. Congrats.

• tigger
    15 years ago

That is quite a transformation!! Everything looks wonderful - I especially love the glossy white cabinets. And the pebbled backsplash is a very unique feature which goes very well in the space.

Where are your barstools from? I'm leaning toward something like that or the Bombo style barstools. Enjoy the kitchen now that most of the hard work is over!

• rcvt
    15 years ago

Great job, Jax! As many have already said, the black-and-white look is very cool and elegant. I like the art work too, or maybe even especially. Is is a painting? A photo? I'm planning to have art in my kitchen remodel if I can keep at least one wall free of cabinets (not easy in a 10" x 11" kitchen, but I plan to try real hard). Enjoy yuour new space,

rc
    in
    VT

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love the pebble blacksplash and the ultra modern kitchen you created. I am finding out I have so many styles that I love and this Kitchen Forum has really opened my eyes to such beautiful kitchens and great ideas. Is your beautiful floor maple? What stain is on it and what size plank width?

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    15 years ago

Did you get the pebbles from ModWalls? They have a pebbled glass mosaic that's pretty cool too.

RE the windows, we had plain black rollers over our sliders in our old house.
    They basically disappear, which is the sleekest most modern thing I could come up with at the time, plus they're pretty economical, block some UV light, and you can see out through them, but not in.... and you can always add a valance or a sheer panel on a decorative rod if you decide later that you need more texture, color or layers.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.modwalls.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=13

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Wow, beautiful transformation!!

• plllog
    15 years ago

Amazing transformation!! Beautiful!

I haven't checked the links the others gave you, but I think cell shades might continue the modern look, while not being too harsh to live with (like shiny vinyl might be). They'd look good with the divided lights, and because they're so flat when they're pulled up they won't interfere with the view of your yard. The light colors also let in a lot of sunlight when they're closed.

• Maria410
    15 years ago

What a great transformation!! I love how you opened up the space. The pebbles are great -- in some shots they look like running water. Nice DIY job.

• ebse
    15 years ago

You did such a great job! I cannot believe its a DIY! Want to come do mine, next :)

We also are considering jet mist, possibly antiqued or honed, but how do you like the polished? Does it show much dust/prints?

• shanghaimom
    15 years ago

Wonderful! Very impressed that it was mostly DIY, too! I am also doing the Virginia Jet Mist granite. I was keeping my fingers crossed as I scrolled down that that would be what you used--yours is so pretty, I didn't want to have to consider a whole new option. Was going to do honed, but this is the first photo I've seen of it polished--gorgeous! Very, very nice.

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The bar stools are reproductions of LEM piston stools. The "real" ones cost like +$700 EACH. I got the repros off ebay for much less.

They're pretty nice. The height has a good range of adjustability so they're very functional. Pretty comfortable for something so minimal. I am a little concerned about the quality, but so far so good (have had them for about a month or so). I had to assemble them but it was very easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay stool link

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The art on the wall is a painting I did probably about 10 years ago. Thanks for noticing it!

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As far as the DIY, I have to be honest and say I had a LOT of help. My family and friends were paramount in getting this done and I am lucky to have such skilled and generous people in my life. Just had to make sure there was beer in the fridge... lots and lots of beer.

• tigger
    15 years ago

Thanks for the bar stool info! I am also not willing to pay $700 for LEM stools - I'll be happy to have reproductions! I'm one of those people who would not spend that even if I had more money than I knew what to do with :)

• User
    15 years ago

Wow....(jaw dropped onto floor!)

• rjr220
    15 years ago

Gorgeous transformation! It's hard to believe that it's the same space! Can you tell me what kind of hood you have? I like the curved lines . . .

• jax1723
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. The hood is a ge monogram (model# ZV750SY). It was kind of an impulse buy and some people have mentioned it might be underpowered (I think it's 370 cfm) but it seems to wok fine and we like how it looked (anything is better than what I had in my bachelor apartment --which was ZERO ventilation).

Someone asked about the floors. They are a pre-finished maple. They do seem to show dust/scratches more since they're on the darker side, but when they're clean they look awesome.