Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneestauffer

What is my perfect sink?

reneestauffer
9 years ago

This is my first post here in the kitchen forum, I've been lurking for a bit, trying to prepare for our kitchen/bath reno project we will be doing this fall.

We have an 1850's farmhouse. I'd call my style vintage eclectic... I like the idea of a vintage looking kitchen, but I also have 3 homeschooled kids and am a fairly messy housekeeper, so I need practical as well. If the kids drop something in the sink I don't want to end up with a huge crack. I want to be able to drain off boiling water without worrying about melting. Basically, I need a sink I can abuse.

I had thought I wanted to find an early 1900's cast iron sink w/ drainboard, but I am having trouble finding anything within driving distance that isn't all banged up and stained up.

I like the look of the big fireclay apron sinks, but fear their demise in a household like mine.

I really want a drainboard, and a single basin. I didn't think I wanted stainless, because it seems too modern looking, but after seeing the Kohler Stages sink, I am wondering if I could make it work.

So basically, my dream is a vintage looking sink that we can abuse the heck out of. We're planning on soapstone countertops, if that matters.

Comments (11)

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Have you thought about a soapstone sink?

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

Depending on the color you want, you might look at the black or white "granite" sinks like blanco's silgranit II. Lots of people have liked these.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I love my Dupont integrated sink that was a "freebie" from HD when I bought my solid surface counter tops. It has held up well to a busy active household.

I have the equal double bowel. I love the depth and the size.
    I have white, so a bit of Soft Scrub and a micro fiber..and looks lovely again..

They have Farm Sink styles too.

• cindyof4kids
    9 years ago

I have a Blanco Silgranite single Super Bowl sink. Center drain, 10 inches deep, 33 inches wide, single bowl, anthracite black color. I've had split sinks and will never go back, I love the room the single bowl has. Have had it over two years, cleans beautifully, no issues with dropping anything in it, using boiling water. It's a workhorse. I know they have other colors also like white and bisque and a brown color, I think it's called truffle. May not be the vintage look you are going for tho.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

There are two cast iron reproduction drainboard sinks available now.

Signature Hardware sells a 42" single drainboard sink, although it is Chinese, if that's an issue.

Sign of the Crab sells this 60" double drainboard model that you can only buy through vintagetub.com, I think. Not sure where that one is made.

There's also a guy in FL who makes fiber-acrylic copies of old sinks, but I would wonder how well those would work in a kitchen.

EDIT I see the double drainboard one is Chinese also. I found this reply from vintage tub:

A couple of notes: The "Made in China" label is just that - a label that comes off easily. Also, the Chinese have been firing porcelain for over 2,000 years. Say what you will about other specific aspects of Chinese manufacturing - they really know their porcelain.

AFAIK, there isn't anyone who does enameling on cast iron in the US anymore. I know that the few places that will reporcelain (not powder coat) old sinks and stoves have stopped doing iron because they can no longer get the stuff they need. They do still do steel, though, so if you're looking for a cabinet top sink (as opposed to the cast iron wall sinks), you might be able to have one reporcelained if need be

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 23:52

• reneestauffer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for all the tips and advice. I hadn't really thought about a soapstone sink for some reason, but DH really likes the idea. Then we could have a drainboard carved in, so that's a definite possibility. I think I really like the cuteness factor of a vintage white sink, but the soapstone has a nice historical aspect to it as well.

Writersblock, thanks for those leads. My ideal sink would have the drainboard on the right. Wish signature hardware could make that a choice. My friend is trying to convince me to get a double drainboard b/c she loves hers, but I don't think I want to sacrifice the counter space for an extra drainboard that will (in this house) just encourage more dirty dishes to pile up.

• reneestauffer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other thing that might be nice about the soapstone sink is we could have it built deep. The vintage sinks don't seem to be very deep. I do a lot of canning and DH makes beer in a big 5 gallon pot, so it would be nice to have an extra deep sink. Decisions, decisions! We really want the bones of the kitchen to last so we don't have to remodel again. It feels like a lot of pressure to get it right!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Make sure any sink, custom soapstone included, meets IAMPO standards. It would stink to shell out big bucks for a sink, only to have your plumbing inspector disallow it.

Here is a link that might be useful: IAMPO

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

Fortunately there are high arc faucets should you run into that problem and some of them do have a vintage look.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>My ideal sink would have the drainboard on the right.

Yeah, I'd prefer that, too. There is an ebay dealer who sells reconditioned sinks who often has lots of different configurations, including corner sinks (with the wall protector that runs around one side), but I'm pretty sure he powder coats them and I would be concerned about how well that would hold up for something as hard-working as a kitchen sink.

It's easier to find countertop single drainboard sinks (from the 40s as opposed to the 20s wall mounts) and those are usually steel so could be refinished properly. There's a guy someplace in the midwest who does true reporcelaining for sinks and stove parts.

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

Since you mentioned kids tossing things in the sink -- I used to chip a lot more dishes in our cast iron sink than I ever did in a stainless steel sink. When we redid the kitchen, I went back to stainless steel.

Another option might be a stainless steel countertop with an integrated sink, at least on the sink run if not throughout the whole kitchen.