Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wintertime_gw

Gloss Cabinets: How were they made?

wintertime
15 years ago

Hello! I have yet another question.

Related to my cabinet quotes post....

I am doing high gloss cabinets in my kitchen. I have almost decided on a pale grey. I am in the process of getting quotes from local custom shops and I need to be better educated.

Both shops say they will paint the MDF whatever colour I chose then apply the laquer in many coats to get the finish I want. One maker suggested that this was a significant premium over regular cabinets because of the shop time involved. That makes sense to me.

My question is: What are the :right: questions to ask them about the process? Can I have a sample door made to make sure they can acheive the look I want? Is 'baking' the doors better, or is this hand sprayed finish sufficient?

What do I request for the edging of the cabinets?

Does anyone have photos of custom gloss cabinets that they can share that didn't come from Ikea or Baulthap or Scavolini ect?

Thank you so much!

Comments (14)

• Fori
    15 years ago

I don't have a clue except to say you really must insist on a sample door! You may pay extra for it but it'll be better than getting a lot of the wrong thing. And if it's right you can carry it around with you to pick out other materials.

• giacomo_it
    15 years ago

I love you just because you going to have a glossy lacquer finish kitchen!! :-)
    glossy lacquer kitchens (I know the italians) there is 2 way of doing it.
    1- mdf painted "like a car" meaning they paint matte in a oven and the finish with a clear coat for the shiny glossy finish.
    2- (like mostly of the italian companies) they give 5 or 7 coats of paint and then they send out to a specific company that does only buffer the doors/panels an became glossy.
    I have to say that here in Chicago I didn't find any company that can make good glossy finish, even matte paint is hard and I had a client that came back to me because the cabinet were less expensive and the paint was much nicer.

so... ask the cabinet maker to make you a big sample with all the corner finish ... and I don't know where do you live but if you can somebody that sell italian cabinetry with a reasonable price go for it!!
    just keep in mind... that to all the price book that I saw of italian kitchen in my past and present glossy lacquer finish is the most expensive, because it's really a premium finish.

below a sample of glossy finish compare with glossy laminate

From tech_pictures

and here the most recent job in glossy gray finish.

From New York

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Mine are satin, not high gloss but they are MDF and the edges were treated with something like autobody filler and sanded to create a smooth edge.

• giacomo_it
    15 years ago

I took a couple pictures to show the glossy finish
    dark grey glossy in the middle white matte finish and again light glossy :-)
    I hope everything will help and sorry for my eng.

From tech_pictures

sorry the battery of the cam was almost dead.

• vetchu
    15 years ago

i just placed an order for kraftmaid venicia tygris gloss cabinets......i think they are thermafoil?? sorry the pic is ginormous.....i don't know how to make it smaller!! =0)

• Stacey Collins
    15 years ago

Wow, that's a very beautiful and striking kitchen, giacomo! Thanks for sharing the pics.

• wintertime
    Original Author
    15 years ago

giacomo thank you!!

The very light grey door is exactly what I want, except my colour might be very slightly less blue and more taupe!

Would you mind if used your door picture as an example? I am afraid that when I talk to the cabinet makers they pretty much think I am crazy to want gloss but they all ~say~ they can acheive it. I think I will have to narrow it down to one or two and get a sample door.

Giacomo, which is better, the baked on one or the second way you described? In the photo of the two doors, the left one is the baked one?

I would like to get a full italian kitchen but I just don't think it's in my budget. The only one I've found around here is Pedini. Maybe it won't be as outrageous as I thought....maybe I will get a quote from them just to see.

Thanks again, I am so excited!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

A lot of top line high gloss furniture is finished with German Polyester, and buffed out.
    Casey

• giacomo_it
    15 years ago

I prefer when 7 or 9 or even 11 coat and the buffer.

glossy is expensive but try.. I know that Pedini... mmm I don't want talk .. .but i'm lower of them :)

click on this picture to download more and better quality.

From glossy door

• sochi
    15 years ago

Wintertime - thank you as well for this post, I'm learning so much. Scavellini has a few centres around, at least I know they have one here in Ottawa. The price is extreme I think - that is the reason why we are using a local cabinet maker, using Scavellini and other Italian kitchens as inspiration. But there is no harm getting a quote from Pedini or others!

Giocomo - great work! What are those stripped countertops? Amazing.

• jdesign_gw
    15 years ago

I've done a few kitchens like this with super high gloss. I can tell you it is the most difficult finish to do. I used polyester paint. It's available here in LA from Polylux. It's a lot higher build and much harder than lacquer. All high-end Italian or German cabinets use this type of paint. It needs to be wet sanded to as high as 2000 grit and buffed out just like a car. It's a lot of work. The Italian or German companies probably use some sort of automated system to get it so perfect. I don't know where you're located but no local company that doesn't specifically do this finish is going to give you the depth and cleanness of the finish of these imported cabinets. You can get a door with a glossy finish on it and you may be happy with it. It depends on what your expectations are. I'm not sure I would go around paying a whole lot of money for samples until I knew what they were going to give me.

• wintertime
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is great information. Thank you.

Giacomo, thank you for the photos, those showing the edges are exactly what I need. I also was wondering what that countertop is?

I am going to meet with 2 local cabinet makers and go to pedini and we'll see what I come up with.

At this rate my kitchen is going to be a total gong show! I'm calling it 'transitional modern' since I want clean lines and gloss cabs but also matte countertops (soapstone) and a berta range and visible (not hidden) stainless appliances.
    Yikes.

jdesign, the one guy seemed to describe that exact process so that's promising. He figured it to be an additional 7-8k on top of the regular cost for those cabs.

• giacomo_it
    15 years ago

the sample sitting an old table that I use, nothing special.

wintertime please please hide the DW!!! :-)