Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aokat15_gw

White inset door, single bead vs. no bead

aokat15
14 years ago

Hi All - I'm wondering if people can post here pics of their white inset kitchen cabinets with no-bead. We are going for the white shaker style inset - but from the quotes we have gotten so far, the difference between no-bead and single bead is about 10%. I'm curious if you found similar price differences and to see those who have no-bead. Any other pros to having a single bead besides the aesthetic?

Thanks!!

Comments (17)

• zelmar
    14 years ago

We don't have white cabinets but we do have beaded inset (stained.) One thing I hadn't considered was that the bead adds one more crevice for spills and airborne flour to sneak into. I love the look but I'm not sure if I'd make the same decision if I had it to do over again.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a good point... gets dusty too I'm assuming? I do love the look of single bead but I'm trying to see if we can save that 10% and I'll still be happy.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

Hi aokat,
    I have white cabinets with a single bead. My kitchen isn't finished yet so I can't offer anything in terms of the dust trap issue but I can say that I was also torn between the two and ended up going with the bead. I think the bead made the kitchen look somewhat more formal than I had envisioned. The whole space was a bit more casual in my head and I actually do attribute some of that to that teeny, tiny beaded detail. It packs a visual punch IMO. I have pictures posted around here somewhere of my not-quite-finished kitchen. Do a search on my user name and take a look.
    If all else fails, just do eeny-meeny-miney-moe or flip a coin. The kitchen store I used took ten percent off and threw in a free dishwasher so I just said "what the hell, I'll take the bead!"

• rmkitchen
    14 years ago

We have white full overlay (didn't want to forfeit the space for inset, though I love the look!) with a single bead -- looks fabulous but yep, it's a crap catcher.

Our kitchen is two years old and in the beginning I was fastidious about wiping everything down and going through the bead with either a Q-tip or a toothpick wrapped in a paper towel or a cotton ball every few weeks. No, I am not joking. Yes, I was going insane.

Now, those cabinets are lucky to be wiped down every few months and I only attack the bead where the spot is egregious (like on the dishwasher / the trash pull-out -- those are the worst!).

If I knew then what I now know I'd do without the bead. It's such a minor detail and truthfully, I don't think its lack would detract from the overall feel of my kitchen.

But I still love the way it looks!!!

That black thing is one of our cats faces -- curiosity!

This is our kitchen.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

dotcomgone.com, any more pictures of your beautiful cabinets and more pictures of your kitchen. I love the doors and despite liking the single bead look, if it was in my budget for new cabinets (still not sure, I have to have a pricing done but decided to wait one more month to get more work done for more money coming in), I think I would save money as well as save on cleaning and go with your clean look. What is the name of the paint you used and what is the finish (i.e., satin, etc.)? I also love your countertops and backsplash and would like more information on those.

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

I should have posted pics, I was lazy this morning....
    Here are my single bead cabinets, wish me luck, I'm not the kinda girl to clean with a q-tip, toothbrush or toothpick! lol.
    (disregard the very ornate corbels, those aren't there anymore, it was a mixup)
    I really do think the bead adds a hint of formality.

{{!gwi}}

Zoomed out
    {{!gwi}}

• trish21
    14 years ago

Aokat- I may be wrong but some of the photos above look like they have a beaded detail on the door/drawer. There are also those with the beaded detail on the frame. Just to clarify we opted not to do beaded on the frame due to expense and to maximize space. With beading on the frame it requires each drawer to be framed, and due to space ours our flush.

Lynn2006: I'll try to post some more photos. I posted some finished kitchen photos in Jan. I think so you can also search under my name. I didn't post to the FKB. We used Benjamin Moore White Dove in oil/satin finish I believe. The countertops and backsplash are 2cm Calacatta marble.

• jeri
    14 years ago

Lynn - I just tried to Bump DotComGone's beautiful kitchen - but I'm not sure it worked. This is another inspiration kitchen for me :-)

• aokat15
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much, for all the input. Dotcomgone - yes, the cost for the bead on the frame is about 10% more from what I've gotten, so that's what I'm trying to see if I can go without. LOVE your kitchen and think the flush is beautiful so that is great to see!!

• remodel-mama
    14 years ago

Ok - let me make sure I am getting this straight.

rookie_2010 - your cabinets are considered beaded inset (requires each drawer to be framed)

dotcomgone - your cabinets are inset with beaded detail on the door/drawers (means that drawers can be flush).

Did I get it right?

I guess I better clarify with our KD which one we're getting! The order simply says "beaded inset cabinets."

Love both of your kitchens by the way! I am hoping some of your good kitchen karma rubs off on me since I am both a rookie and a former dotcomer...

• trish21
    14 years ago

remodel mama- I send good kitchen karma your way. Our cabinets are inset, but flush with no bead detail. I opted
    to do an ogee rather than a shaker detail. It all gets very confusing. I didn't realize until today that 'beaded' can mean both the detail on the very outer edge of the drawer/cabinet and the frame. I had always thought of 'beaded' as the detail on the frame. If you google 'beaded inset' it will take you to several cabinet makers and photos/drawings to help you better understand. All the terms are so confusing so be sure you know what your designer means by beaded. Good luck!

• penelopejosephine
    14 years ago

We did the bead on the inside of the door (instead of the frame). The thought of cleaning the groove on the frame was enough to make me wary. Once I saw a kitchen in person that had the bead on the door I knew I would be comfortable with the look. Also, we have the bead on all doors and most of the drawers (the shallow top drawers are flat because our cabinet maker needed the drawer face to be deeper to do the shaker style.

OT...Dotcomegone, your're kitchen always makes me swoon! I adore that backsplash!

Here's a picture (albeit not the best):

(the second photo you can see the flat top drawers)

• remodel-mama
    14 years ago

dotcomgone: thanks for the good karma! Do you mind if I take it with me throughout the whole house? Wow - it is confusing. I will check with our KD tomorrow.

penelopejosephine: thanks for posting the pics. We chose a similar style door front. I would love to see more pics of your kitchen - it's beautiful. Are your cabinets 42" high?

thanks everyone!

• penelopejosephine
    14 years ago

Hi remodel-mama! I had to go look at the drawings of the cabinets. There is 46.5" from the bottom of the cabinets to the top of the crown. So, I'm guessing the cabinets are closer to 40-42". I hope this helps. I need to go work on finishing up the kitchen (we're doing the painting, which is not done, and we're waiting on a light). I'll post our finished kitchen as soon as it's done :)

• send2bbc_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Here is a picture of a inset door with no bead

Here is a link that might be useful: White kitchen