Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

verde butterfly or black pearl for my flip?

chinchette
10 years ago

Which would you pick for a flip, given they are the same price? The cabinets will be Ikea Adel White.

I am leaning towards the black pearl for simplicity. DH likes the Peacock.

Comments (23)

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

I happen to love crazy granite. So, I find black pearl more than boring. The peacock has some beautiful interest to it when you are close, but gives the calm look of a solid color on first impression.

Even a buyer who maybe wanted black wouldn't look at Peacock and say, "Whoa! Too wild!" so I think it's a safe (and less boring) choice.

• Linda
    10 years ago

I like verde peacock.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay. Two peacock votes!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I have Verde Peacock in my kitchen and I love it. It is a level one granite but it looks beautiful. Verde Peacock is slightly different than Verde Butterfly. Butterfly usually has some white splotches in it while Verde Peacock has some gold in it. For a flip you probably cant go wrong with either but my vote is for Verde Peacock

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

The verde peacock is lovely!

• sail_away
    10 years ago

Since we recently installed Black Pearl, I feel obligated to speak up for it. I like the quietness of it---from a distance it just looks like a black granite, but close up you see the variety---black, grey, khaki. I always to try to stay fairly neutral in the materials for things that are permanent, or at least expected to remain for a long time. I figure, if I want to add some more color, I can do that with accents or removable items.

• ctbert
    10 years ago

What color are your cabinets?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd prefer the blackpearl because it seems a bit more contemporary and neutral, and I prefer bluish/greyish over greenish. But then, either would be fine.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your votes. The cabinets are white ( Ikea Adel white) and the floor is travertine look-alike tile. I'm still undecided. I guess its not going to matter either way, because my market is hot right now. But you know, TKO is TKO.

• chloe.chloe
    10 years ago

We picked black pearl for our new construction home to go with our maple chiffon cabinets ( shaker style). We have to sell our home in 6 years ( we are military family) and wanted something that would appeal to a wider range of people when the time comes to sell. I think black pearl is a safer option IMO. Good luck!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, the husband agreed in this application its black pearl. We did like the verde peacock slab but are trying to be more contemporary and neutral. Hope to show finished kitchen soon!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Oh well. Anyway, I'd prefer Verde peacock.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Looking forward to your pictures!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

I love green and have a green granite, but a lot of people don't like green at all, green anything. Also in my area it's associated with the late 90's, early 2000's when green granites were all the rage here...and also when I last redid my kitchen. Now I rarely see green granites in the slab yards. Unfortunate because I would love another green for our grill island.
    Both of your choices are beautiful, but if you're planning to flip it I think black is a safer and more neutral option.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've got typhoon green at my house, which some people think is grey. And a green/grey tile floor. I agree that green is not for everyone though. I sometimes wonder if I will get tired of it. Have had it 7 years. Truthfully, in the price range of the investment property, and in the location its in, I think that any granite is considered to be great.

I saw a beautiful green granite in the bargain section today. In fact, all the granite that I looked at 7 years ago is in the bargain section now!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Well, you know, black isn't for everyone either. I would never want a black countertop. Unless it was soapstone. Really, either way, some will like it and some won't.

• SaraKat
    10 years ago

We put black pearl in the laundry room with the very white cabinets in there. It looks really nice with the high contrast. It's true, it's safe, it's not splashy but it's classic and I think it looks beautiful. Clean, crisp, shiny, forgiving.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Honestly I think that liking or not liking the color comes in more at a higher price point. For this price, this house, its gonna be really likable! There is very little inventory out there and my competitors don't have granite. And my buyers will most likely be a youngish couple, into contemporary, really happy to get into the house.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

In that case then why ponder it; put in what's least expensive.

"I saw a beautiful green granite in the bargain section today. In fact, all the granite that I looked at 7 years ago is in the bargain section now!"

Chinchette I was wondering that, if granite colors go out of style like everything else. I didn't expect that, but must be because as I wander the yards again I see a huge difference between what I found in 1999, 2008 and now. Only ones consistently there are the speckled and veined tans, golds and tiger colors, but unfortunately I'm not an earth tone brown girl.
    Wish I could find a place that had a bargain section. Everyone sells slab only. Maybe I should check with a fabricator for a remnant, because I would love to find green bamboo for my outdoor grill island. That was one of the wild ones around in 2008 and nowhere now. Too funky for indoors for me, but would love it in my yard.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"I see a huge difference between what I found in 1999, 2008 and now. "

Those quarries might be done. Some of the stones change a lot as they get deeper in, too, so they really don't look the same. New stones that come along, I'm sure people take a fancy to because they're different. So things will surely go out of favor, too, as you say.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

"Quarries might be done". True, and sad to think we deplete these resources that will end up back in a landfill some day. Asked about it in the sab yards and in addition to that and changing tastes some said they're keeping a smaller inventory because home building and remodeling is still slow and they're no longer able to get stone that came from some countries in the Middle East.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>In that case then why ponder it; put in what's least expensive.

And ruin my fun? : )

• chinchette
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We went with black pearl. I like it a lot. It has a complex black look with browns in the mix.

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design