Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciewolinsky

Need help-any suggestions??

Marcie Wolinsky
10 years ago

We are in desperate need of any suggestions! My daughter gutted her kitchen in November & used a local cabinet maker. She contracted for custom cabinets with melamine cabinet boxes with solid wood doors and drawers of painted or stained maple. She chose a medium cherry stain and on first inspection, she thought they looked fine. (I have to add that she is young and was going through a high risk pregnancy at the time, so her full attention was not on the cabinets.) Now that a few months have gone by, some of the cabinets are peeling. When she emailed the cabinet maker about it, he told her that he couldn't get the cherry stain to look right, so he took it upon himself to use a laminate or veneer (she's not sure which) instead of the stained solid wood doors & drawers. From a distance, the cabinets look OK but on closer look, they really look fake & cheap. Here are a couple of pictures. The cabinet maker offered to either replace all the doors & drawers with solid wood in a contrasting color (my daughter can't imagine what that would look like) or to fix the current cabinets where they're peeling. She is afraid that if they are coming apart & look this bad now, what will they look like next year? She really hates her new kitchen the way it looks now. Does anyone have any other suggestions for this disaster?

Comments (4)