Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ehs20815

Am I going to regret mixing countertop materials in my kitchen?

ehs20815
15 years ago

Hi All,

My cabinet install is next week, and I'll have white painted cabinets in a u shaped configuration with a 68" long island, also in white, in the middle. The house is 1928 fieldstone in an urban-ish area.

I'm feverishly debating (in my own head of course) whether to do all dark-veined white marble (which was my original plan) or to have black soapstone on the perimeter and have the marble only on the island. I'm thinking this would give me the focal point factor of the marble island (visible from DR and foyer), plus the easy-to-live with soapstone in my actual cook/prep areas.

Also, the marble is a little busy, so I'm thinking the plain black of the soapstone would be restful on the eyes, without competing with the island. On the other hand,

it's a smallish kitchen (17 x 13) and I don't want the mix of materials to look jumbled and weird.

DH refuses to discuss kitchen stuff anymore, who can blame him! And I can't afford to pay my designer by the hour as I vacilate. Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

What do you all think???

Comments (17)

• lagrant
    15 years ago

I am trying to do the same thing - white painted cabinets, very large calacatta marble island, and soapstone on the perimeter. I have looked endlessly for quiet black/grey soapstone that I can touch and see (as opposed to just ordering online) to no avail :(. I believe that the difference in counters is okay because the cabinets will be all white, on both the perimeter and island.

SO to answer your question of "what do you all think?" - I am HOPING it will look GREAT!!

• edlakin
    15 years ago

it sounds lovely. it's a classic combination. don't hesitate.

• luvnola
    15 years ago

Go for it!! You'll love it!

• cate1337
    15 years ago

Mixing your materials like that sounds beautiful. Frankly, I think keeping everything white would be visually overwhelming.

We have a different set-up and different colors than you but do have two different counter materials and are happy with the results.

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I'm doing something sort of similar.

My perimeter cabinets are off-white with a glaze. My island is natural cherry. Different door styles. I am using a golden queen granite on my island, which is about 7 feet long. My perimeter countertops are a very dark granite, called bronze macchiatta, which I have never seen anywhere but my granite yard.

I will have the same cherry cabinets and granite in my butler's pantry. The golden queen granite is a very strong pattern with a lot of movement, quite dramatic, at least the way I remember it. I haven't seen it in so long, who knows? They only had one large slab left of that particular lot, not enough for the whole kitchen. The black granite also has a lot going on, but in a much subtler way. From a distance, it will read as black, but up close, it is much more interesting, with brown and silver. I didn't like that granite as much, but it was quiet enough I thought to mix with the stronger granite.

I would never have thought of it. My KD suggested it. I hope I like it.

Yours sounds very nice. I think marble and soapstone is a great combination.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Your ideas sound great, does anyone have pics of their kitchens that have the different countertops or different color cabinets on the island? Thanks.

• Jan_S
    15 years ago

"And I can't afford to pay my designer by the hour as I vacilate."

This made me laugh. We have the same problem. We NEED a designer to help us decide things, but after we talk with him we just get more ideas, have more questions, and second guess all his recommendations and vacilate, vacilate, vacilate. It's so much more satisfying and pleasant to do brainstorming here, not to mention cheaper.

• lleet
    15 years ago

Yes! Got for it! I was in the same position  it was hard to pull the trigger, but we are going with white perimeter cabinets with white honed Calcutta, and the island is a dark stain with dark brown granite. IÂm hoping it looks as great in real life and is it in my head. :-)

• homey_bird
    15 years ago

The other day, I saw a kitchen on (I think) last month's Kitchens magazine issue. The kitchen on the cover has a green granite + stained wood cabs on the perimeter and a taupe/beige granite with Green cabs on the island. The hood and the range and surrounding cabs were cream, I think. The theme was French Country.

I loved the idea. Though my DH is against painted cabs (therefore I do not see that possibility), it gave me the confidence that two colors on cabs can look fantastic.

I think that the key here is to have a common element that ties together the whole kitchen, be it cab style or something else.

It would look fabulous! Best luck!!

• maydl
    15 years ago

I hope not! Our combo will be Dakota Mahogany granite perimeter counters and Rojo Alicante marble island.

• dixiechick_07
    15 years ago

Most of the magazines are showing mulitple countertop materials. I have installed granite on the perimeter cabs and have bb on one end of my island (lowered by 4") and stained concrete on the other end. I love the way it looks. I think your combination of black and white would be very CLASSY looking. Go for it if you want!!!!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

I have absolute black honed granite for all my perimeter cabs. I also have my beautiful white carrera marble on my island and 2 baking centers. The perimeter cabs will be Dover White (SW) and the island and baking centers will be distressed black. I love the combo and think it is a beautiful look. Go for it, you won't be sorry

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

I think it will be beautiful, elegant and classic!

• sweeby
    15 years ago

I think the decision should be more fundamental than two countertops or not. Move higher-level in your thinking and decide whether you want the island to be the same or different:

A) - Island to match the rest of your cabinets and be an integrated and harmonious part of the whole kitchen; or

B) - Island to be a separate, free-standing design element - like a table - something different from the rest.

If you go with option A, then keep the island cabinetry and countertops the same colors and styles as the others and know that you're making the right decision for that design.

If you go with option B, then I'd suggest changing the color of the island as well as the countertop, possibly even a different door style and/or different hardware. Make it visibly and distinctively different from the rest of the kitchen. Give it its own identity. Add legs, base molding (versus standard toe kick) - other details that separate the island from the rest of the kitchen and make it look like furniture instead of kitchen cabinets.

IMO, the one thing you DON'T want to do is 'split the difference' design-wise, because then your kitchen design becomes muddled, and those are the kind of designs that don't wear well.

Is the island the same? Or is it different? Choose one!

• txcat
    15 years ago

I think it sounds fantastic.

• amberley
    15 years ago

I plan to use soapstone on my perimeter over off-white glazed cabs, and white marble (Calacatta?) on the island, which will be a distressed aqua. I am also trying to fit a good size piece of butcher block somewhere in the mix. I love all of these materials, both for looks, texture (I can't wait to "fondle" my own ss), and for functional purposes.

IOW- If you like it do it!!