Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel31

help with backsplash/countertop- 2 options - which do you prefer?

melkel31
9 years ago

So we went shopping again today to look at engineered quartz and granite... Here's what we came up with- some background for anyone who hasn't seen any of my other posts;) - we bought kraftmaid black vintage cabinets, copper hammered farmhouse kitchen sink- smaller kitchen... We are looking at the kashmire white granite with the tumbled travertine backsplash as one option. The other option is Cambria Canterbury quartz with a more natural colored backsplash. Thoughts on which you think looks better? :)- I tried to put option 1 and 2 in the links hopefully it worked!- can't figure out how to add 2 files so i will have to put the other one in another thread!! :( bummer

Comments (46)

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's the other option ;) this one is the cambria canterbury quartz with a natural colored travertine BS.
    I also added a link to see the Canterbury close up - it is very pretty and layered looking in person!

Here is a link that might be useful: cambria canterbury quartz

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OR ditch the travertine altogether and suggest another type of backsplash- i am looking at limestone now.... ??? so confused now!! :(

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Do you have pictures of the cabinets? Is there any black in the quartz?

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's a link for the cabinets ;) - btw not sold on the BS for the quartz just showing it with a neutral colored stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet link

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps consider black-painted beadboard for the backsplash -- to create a visually cohesive line between the strength of the black cabinets and the countertops .....

Just a thought ..... hope you don't mind .....

• carree
    9 years ago

What's the aesthetic you are going after? I love the cabs, I like the counter materials but not sure I am loving the BS tumbled looking stone. Maybe something a little sharper or cleaner lines? But that is just me. I went with brightly patterned glass for BS that most would dislike :)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's a link to some kitchens Pinterest .....might have some ideas or backsplashes ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest --pin board with copper kitchen ideas

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going for a rustic but warm feeling kitchen, I don't like modern clean lines at all for my own home. Our home was built in 1968 and has lots of character- beams on the ceiling in the adjoining room, lots of dark cherry and black a huge brick fireplace in the adjoining room also... just trying to give a feel for the house and the aesthetics we have going on ;)

• olympia776
    9 years ago

It's so hard! I'm kind of having a hard time picturing it. I think that I like the second choice of stone with it better although I might like the first stone better. Not too much help I know! The reason I like the second paring better is that there's higher contrast between the backsplash and counter and I feel like the backsplash picks up some of the golden tones of the countertop material.

I'm going through the same dilemma right now. Trying to pick a backsplash and I'm also debating using stone for the backsplash that's different than the countertop. I'll send a link to my thread if you want to share your thoughts:)
    I'm also including the link because I think it could be of interest - it's about combining different stones for the backsplash and countertop so it's relavent to your questions. Also, RHP123 posted her kitchen and I think it's got a lot of similarities to the second photo you have and that concept you have for your kitchen. Hope you find it helpful!

Here is a link that might be useful: thread about combining different stones for backspash and countertop

• fishymom
    9 years ago

I love the Canterbury countertop, the warm tones will look great with your black vintage cabinets. I think a warm copper colored backsplash would look great.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I vote for the 2nd combination! Please let is know what you decide and be sure to post pictures!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I am *all* about the first two choices together! I think that countetrop will give your kitchen the light factor it is going to need with the black cabinets. I also think that backsplash accomplishes your goal of giving it a warm, rustic feeling. It looks good with the counter and will complement your cabs.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Having recently gone through the backsplash hunt, my advice is to first find your countertops & choose your backsplash after your cabinets & countertops are installed. Unless you are in love with a particular backsplash material & the backsplash is the "star" of your kitchen,
    Trying to match small samples of stone in lighting that is not the same as the lighting in your home is difficult.
    I like #1, but #2 is warmer of the 2 options.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

None of those stones. Copper sheets, aged.

Or copper colored ''tin'' tiles.
    {{!gwi}}

With suitable under cabinet lighting, as black cabinets tend to suck up the available light.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone- the more i look at the 2nd combo - i def see the pink tone in the trav tile. That said, I still love that quartz but will keep looking for a suitable counterpart ;) - the copper is beautiful but i think it may be too dark for the kitchen as we only have one standard window for natural light- i also want the copper sink to the the STAR ;) i do like the idea of finding a BS with a copper tone to it - there are some pretty lighter trave tiles too so we shall see.... :)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My sister has white Shaker cabinets and black granite and wanted an organic backsplash to warm it up. She used slate 3 x 6" subway tile--very pretty. I couldn't tell you the exact colors because all I saw was a lousy cell phone photo, but I know there was some copper and dark gray in it and no blue.

With your cabinets and copper sink, I like a lighter counter in a warm tone. The Kashmir White is too cool. With the swirly quartz patterns, I'd do a plain blacksplash, but I don't think you'd be happy with that. Even that travertine is too busy, and the undertones really clash. My eyes!! Make sure you understand undertones.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

definitely agree with you, may_flowers about both points- the kashmire white is a little lighter than we want- looking for something warmer that will match the copper sink too. Also agree that the quartz needs a more neutral BS. The one in the pic was just a sample- definitely way too much yellow going on and even pink tones that we don't like- we are looking into a different material if we go with the quartz. :) the trouble is finding a nice countertop that goes with the first option (the trav rustic tiles) - the granite we love competes way too much with it- the kashmire white is defitely more gray than white but need a little warmer touch- thanks for your advice and insight :)

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

Def #2 option.....
    How about your counter for your B/S also, even if it just behind your cooktop?? We did a full granite b/s on our cooktop wall and it was the best decision. We put the 6x6 tiles on sink wall....

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

The copper sink is going to look amazing with Canterbury if you go with that counter. We have the canterbury, have a backsplash currently, but I don't love it (just the colours seem to be off a touch) and we're redoing it. I like the textures though, as it's a busy counter, and a simple backsplash.

I think we'll probably do a simple subway in maybe a taupe (as we're getting new off white cabs now) as the counter is the star of the show. Or maybe the same backsplash but in a different colour (if my DH doesn't kill me with that idea!) (I would keep the backsplash, but the job is super shoddy and makes me embarrassed that I paid for it without putting up a fuss)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I would pick a super-simple non-patterned quartz countertop if you want brick/stone backsplash to be the feature.

• pwanna1
    9 years ago

#2. I love the combination and think it will look great with your cabinets.

• chiefy
    9 years ago

Have you looked at the Jeffrey Court Fire and Ice? I think it would look awesome with your sink and it has some dark to pick up your cabinets. It would not work with the busier Quarts counters you're looking at though. You'd need something quieter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire and Ice

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I am still feeling #1, myself. I think it is just quiet enough without being a stark contrast to the black cabs. Lots of dark specks not only to tie it to the counters but complement the "grainy" backsplash. The implied texture of the counter complements the backsplash, I guess is a better way to express my thought.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

chiefy76- thank u!!! I am LOVING these tiles!!!! Showing to my hubby now - he is afraid they will date themselves quickly - thoughts?? I may have to work some magic to talk him into these haha! but wow this is just what i have been looking for!!! :) :)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I totally missed that link last time around. Those are some pretty cool tiles! I think they are traditional enough not to date too quickly.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeah I do too greenhaven ! :) I must talk the hubby into them!!! love love love the fire and ice squares and brick in the slate - def will need a calm/warm CT for that one! :)

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love the Fire and Ice blacksplash tiles. I know several on the Kitchen Site has used the backsplash and I had been in love.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

adding this to this thread as suggested by another reader to help keep things in one place :)
    Thoughts about the look of the fire and ice "square" or fire and ice "brick" as a BS with my vintage black onyx cabinets? Wondering if either will be too dark? I would put a simple/NON-busy CT with both choices. here's one of the choices- The other i will put in the link.
    http://www.jeffreycourt.com/chpt9_slate_and_quartz_mosaics.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: fire and ice brick tile

• chiefy
    9 years ago

Ooh, I'm so glad you like them! Personally, I prefer the brick. The squares feel more modern. But they're both amazing.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

we are going to look at them in person this weekend. hoping they are as pretty in person! i found a google image of a kitchen with the brick and it looked so dark !! but hoping it's the quality of the pic :)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the Quartz color palette better because it's a little calmer and cooler. With the more intense Slate color and the black cabinets, this kitchen could scream Halloween. The square mosaic is busier than brick, and I think square mosaics are out of favor now.

I'd start with looking at the 4 x 8' field tile and consider the mosaic as an accent. Have we ever seen your floor plan? It'd be nice to know how much wall this tile needs to cover. The kitchens I've seen with Fire and Ice don't have a lot of backsplash.

Here is the Quartz field tile. It'd be very pretty with a creamy/griege quartz countertop like Caesarstone Buttermilk (I have something similar) and the F&I as an accent to tie in your copper sink.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Fire and Ice in Quartz.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you mayflowers! :) I do like the fire and ice quartz! That is on my list to check out for sure! when you mentioned an accent ... are you referring to using it on only one area? trying to visualize :)

also , no i haven't sent the floor plan- not sure how to do that haha! i have it on sheet of paper from home depot - maybe i can take a pic of it and download it- not sure if that will work or not ??

• crl_
    9 years ago

Yes, just take a picture and use the choose file button to post your plan.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After more shopping we put together this look. The cabinets are pretty much identical to those we are getting and this is the Cambria Canterbury CT. The BS is travertine- we like the color but thinking it's a tad busy- maybe something in this color family but a less busy pattern in the tile- we also are thinking the tumbled tile instead of this flatter version. thoughts?? :)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Major clash imo. Isn't the rubbed black-painted cabinet a little country casual? I think the travertine in a subway could work. Mixed sizes are too contemporary for your cabs. I think you'll tire of the Canterbury. Isn't it an older pattern? Trends are moving away from heavily patterned counters.

What is the overall look you're going for? What is your house style and other decor?

• crl_
    9 years ago

That's a lot busier than I would like, but your tastes may vary. I also feel like the overall effect is pretty dark, especially for a space with little natural light. But again, maybe you prefer dark spaces. Do you have any inspiration photos you can link? I think it might be easier if we knew what look you like.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Sorry, I see where you did say rustic and warm with no modern lines. I think you have to pick one surface to be quieter. The tumbled stones were used when Tuscan style was popular, and you did see them with busy gold-toned granites, often with very red-stained cherry cabs. You can find lots of examples of those kitchens still. So I would try some less warm colors to modernize the look.

Please do post some inspiration photos. You've probably seen Houzz.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks ladies! you confirmed what i was thinking- a designer put that BS with our cab and CT and we both thought it was busy and were not going to go with it but was just curious if it was us or if others would also agree to it's busyness ;) below is a link for the BS i really like and THINK may work with our look.. you will just have to scroll down a tad- it's the 2nd pic from the top. stacked trav BS.

As for the canterbury quartz- maybe we are mistaken but from what we have heard the Cambria is rather new to the scene and it's what many are getting now- haven't liked many other Cambria CTs. Still not opposed to granite but from what we are hearing quartz is the new best thing in CTs - am i wrong? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: trav BS

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's an inspiration pic as requested :) - I like a lot of different kitchens - I have a ton pinned haha! ;) but unfortunately I can't find a kitchen with black cabinets that isnt' modern looking - so no inspiration of what it will actually look like.. I know i don't like the while marble look on the black look... I love a french country kitchen - love rustic, warm colors - i do love dark colors- black, cherry, browns but I also love the antique white kitchens! just don't go with the rest of my house as well as a darker kitchen will. hope this helps a little?/ ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: [inspiration pic[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/oakley-home-builders-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~87710)

• crl_
    9 years ago

I went to houzz and searched rustic, then selected kitchens, then selected black for cabinet color. That pulled up several possible inspiration pictures. Here's a link to one.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz, rustic, kitchen, black cabinets[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/gaillardia-show-home-mediterranean-kitchen-oklahoma-city-phvw-vp~81646)

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the tips on searching houzz crl_! beautiful kitchen! not sure if i have seen that one or not- the inspiration pics are gorgeous! just wish my kitchen was that large haha!! ;)

• plants4
    9 years ago

The cabinets are intended to look older and more classic so it seems to me that the backsplash should mirror that. In my opinion that means no backsplashes that are instantly dated or modern looking, including "fire and ice" and other stones, tumbled or not. Ceramic tile makes more sense with those cabinets.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

went shopping again today to look at granite again- this is a granite i fell in love with when we first started looking around a month ago. Decided to go back to it and analyze it more... here's a pic from pinterest that gives a nice idea of how it will look. I think I am going away from the Cambria Canterbury and going back to granite which was our first thought. I think it just looks more rustic. :) Also wondering about a chiseled edge in the granite- I saw a pic and I LOVE it!! heard from the kitchen and granite people today that it is higher maintenance bc of the nature of it... anyone have experience with this? I am posting a seperate thread about this too. thanks for your input! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: typhooon bordeaux and black cabs

• crl_
    9 years ago

Personally I like the typhoon Bordeaux granite a lot better than the Canterbury Quartz. I think that might look fabulous with the silk color of the fireclay brick tile someone posted for you before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay brick colors

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Here is a strong vote for the typhoon Bordeaux or something along that line. I think that over time I would find the cambria Canterbury too strong with the strong black of the cabs (which I love btw).

If you don't like the cool grey of Kashmir white, have you looked at White River? Very similar but warmer. There is another stone also that someone posted here that is similar (warm, light, ivory/cream/grey, some movement but not hitting you in the eye) but I can't recall the name -- maybe someone else knows what I mean?