Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mid century kitchen and a question

Posted by cluelessincolorado (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 15:06

Thought some of you might enjoy these photos from a house for sale near me. For you historical kitchen experts, what were the cabinets under the main uppers used for? And look at all the drawers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mid century kitchen and a question

I am no expert at all, but my husband's grandmother had those in her kitchen and she stored spices in them. The doors on hers slid from one side to the other. Those look as if they fold down? My brother would love that kitchen!

o

I would totally guess spices. I have actually considered something like that for our vitamins and whatnot that I do not care to keep out on the counter anymore. Saw some at HD the other day. Hmmm...

Cool kitchen!

o

Thank you. I thought they looked like they folded down as well. Greenhaven, I am beginning to think you like a challenge...The basement of this 1918 house has an apartment with what I imagine is the original kitchen.

o

Cool looking, though I must say the space between the uppers and lowers in that second picture looks unuseable.

o

VERY cool - both of them!

The second one reminded me of a house I looked at a bit over a year ago. It had the original 1938 kitchen and a sink quite similar to the one in the older kitchen picture above. The cabinets were nice and had glass inset.

It's back on the market now and they're having trouble selling it. The new kitchen looks like pretty much any low end spec house from the last 10 years. They went too far and left no original character from the place whatsoever.

o

Texas_Gem said: "Cool looking, though I must say the space between the uppers and lowers in that second picture looks unuseable"

Indeed. Very similar to what I had in our 1947 home with original kitchen; shallow base cabs and low uppers; very unusable.

clueless in colorado said: "Greenhaven, I am beginning to think you like a challenge..."

LMBO! Ya think? ;o) Seriously, though, the ones I saw I think were Rev-a-Shelf and simply attached to the underside of the cabinets. Pretty slick!

o

Texas_Gem said: "Cool looking, though I must say the space between the uppers and lowers in that second picture looks unuseable"

So true. But looking at all the junk on my counters, this may just what I need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here