Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

Pull Out Broom Closet

jeri
14 years ago

We are thinking about doing the Pull Out Broom Closet pictured below.

Our new home is large (3300 sq ft), but there is very little closet space. We widened our laundry room so that we could have 16 inch deep shelves running along one wall  about 10 feet long, 9 feet high. Part of this wall will be cubbies for the 4 family members. The rest will be pantry.

We do not have a broom closet. Part of me does not want to give up space inside for a broom, mob, dust pan, etc. The only thing I would want handy is the vacuum wand for the Hide-a-hose (HaH) we will be installing. My husband suggested we allow room for a 6" wide (total inside width) broom closet. This would only be 16 inches deep. Do you think that would be wise? Or should we do the pullout below? We could put the pullout on the other side where the washing machines and sink would be. We wanted as much counter space as possible on that side, but I think would could give up 7.5 inches for a pullout like this  if it would be functional.

I would not use a broom once the HaH is installed, and I donÂt mop more than once a week  this is why IÂm loath to give up too much space for these items.

What do you think?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

of course. they are much needed items and need a home somewhere. you never know when you'll need that broom - like when the HAH isn't working...

• Julie B
    14 years ago

When we did our kitchen last year I used the above idea and modified it. We put in a 12" wide pull out. We Love it. Everyone who see it wishes they had one. We store the swiffers,broom,steam mop,windex, tools,fly swatter and etc. I also had a electrical outlet put in the back so I can keep my cordless stick vac charged up. If you have the room go for it! Very convienient.

• jeri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I didnÂt have those things (broom, etc) in the laundry room, they would be just outside the laundry room door in the garage. Not sure they belong there  not sure they donÂt.

Buehl  Thanks for the link! IÂm guessing you never did one? Do you think it would still be useful if we only had 16" of depth? We could go all the way to the ceiling which would give us vertical storage space.

JustMeJulie  You have this but it is 12" wide? I donÂt suppose you could post a picture?

• Julie B
    13 years ago

Here you go. The outside dimensions are 12", inside would be narrower. We have ours in the mudroom off the garage entrance. HTH

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• jeri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow - That is super cool. Thanks so much for responding!

It looks like you could get a *lot* in that! Do you feel the 12" was necessary? Is there any wasted space? Do you think this would work in a smaller space?

How deep is it - 24"?

• Julie B
    13 years ago

Your welcome!
    The outside measures 12", The inside of the pullout is 7". My GC called it Julie's big drawer lol. Don't know if there would be a way to skinny it up, ask your GC. For my stuff the 7" was the minimum I wanted to go. I told my GC that it had to hold my cordless stick vac plugged in. But I do love that size. The peg board metal brackets you can buy anywhere do hold the broom, duster, steam mop, etc very nice and tightly. The depth is standard counter at 24" but the actual drawer is less. For me it does have a little wasted space. I am only 4'11 so anything above my reach is wasted as I am to lazy to get out a step stool. lol

• jeri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Julie - What do you think if I had one that was as wide as yours but only 16 inches deep. I could go all the way to the 9' ceiling.

• Julie B
    13 years ago

Jeri- I think that would work especially if the inside drawer dimension could be the 16". If all I had was 16" I would definately still do it.