Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cessnabmw

Spice Jars and Labels

cessnabmw
12 years ago

Now that the kitchen is almost done (will be posting all my pics and details soon), I wanted to see what everyone does for spice jars and labels.

We have two spice pull-outs on either side of the stove and want to add jars and labels.

Suggestions?

Recommendations?

Comments (9)

• colin3
    12 years ago

20 years ago, we ordered four dozen 8oz amber jars through a local health food store, and we've used them ever since. The closest thing I can find on the 'net is the link below. The wide mouth makes them easy to clean -- they go in the dishwasher. The amber protects the spices from light. While the white plastic screw tops may look a tad pharmaceutical, you do want something that seals well and easily.

Re labels, with a printer and computer and blank labels from an office supply store, you can make your own.

Here is a link that might be useful: round amber spice jar

• colin3
    12 years ago

Same idea but a little more elegant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wide mouth amber bottle w/lid

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Here is a great link! I don't use any of these currently, but I definitely will once I get into my new kitchen :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Options

• plllog
    12 years ago

This thread is more about storage than bottles, but it shows lots of varieties. This is another interesting thread about spice containers. A follow up. But there was a great thread that was more about bottles that I can't find. Short summary, a lot of people like bottles from Specialty Bottle, and others like the squat bottles from Anchor Hocking.

It seems my ideal spice jar is a Spice Islands jar. I like the size and shape, the opening, and the metal lid. Someone posted (after I broke one) that the Penzey's lids are plastic so they break if you drop the bottle, rather than the glass, but I've dropped plenty of glass spice bottles (onto concrete) and haven't broken them, and I like the metal lids with the plastic seals. Before we had a local Penzey's I bought a lot of Spice Islands, and have saved the jars for reuse with loose spices. I do buy Penzey's in the jar, however, because I'm not organized enough yet to store the overage of bulk packets, and have such a variety to choose from that I don't use them up fast enough for that to be a problem.

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp

I got little tins from here but they have jars and bottles as well. I have ordered some of their larger jars for my pantry. Very fast. Well packed. Tins came nicely packed as well.

• sayde
    12 years ago

For labels there's a site called Bowfin Printworks -- you can order custom labels -- you specify the spice names and also the font. The guy who owns it loves and collects fonts. They're a splurge but what fun to choose --

• nancyaustin
    12 years ago

I second the doggonegardner's suggestions, especially about the tins and the link to the Specialty Bottles site. From Specialty Bottles, I got about 10 of the 8 oz square tins (for the spices I use frequently) and a bunch of 4 oz square tins and labeled them with a label maker (although sayde's custom label option sounds elegant). The tins have been great--the square shape seems to give maximimum storage in a minimum space, plus it is easy to fill measuring spoons from the tins.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Labels are fun, but it's such a pain to deal with the machine, I find - wasted tape, can't remember how it works, battery/energy to run it... I found it just easier, cheaper, faster to have a roll of colored tape around, either lab tape or if you don't work in a lab, you can get colored tape from kids' educational equipment/school supplies stores -- or even just the orange tape from painting supply departments -- that kind of thing. write-on-able tape, but that's a little spongier than masking tape. I just use that stuff and write on it by hand. Fast. Effective. Sticks better than labels. You can put the labels on the top or sides to taste. If you were really organized you could use different colors for, say, herbs, baking stuff, various ethnicities, etc.

I find most important is that the letters be BIG and BLACK - I use a sharpie. I love those things....

• gillycat
    12 years ago

I bought a spice carousel on a good sale with 2-sided lids ( for sprinkling or inserting spoon)
    It was $20 for 16 bottles so I just threw the carousel out. Now they are nicely organised in my pull-out

However I have now seen this which I think is so clever - flattish bottles instead of round! Space saving for sure!

I might have to get it for the rest of the spices

Here is a link that might be useful: brilliant idea for spice bottles