Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marble - Difference between distributors?

Posted by SunnyAlberta (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 15:01

I am going to put in a marble backsplash. I got some marble samples from different tile places in town and they vary in thickness. At one place the Bianco Venatino is 25sq/ft and at another it is 18sq/ft but a little thinner. Does the thickness matter? Will the same type of marble vary in quality or color between distributors? Home depot you can get some marble for 12sq/ft but I have heard of some crumbling issues with cheaper natural stone. Please educate me.

I am debating between Bianco Venatino and Carrara. My cupboards are a light cream color (which I am coming to terms with as I thought they would be whiter), my countertops are caesarstone concrete on the permitter and nougat on the island. The white on the island is a shaded white which picks up the tones around it. The concrete color is just slightly lighter than the raven caesarstone. The countertops will be installed on 24th. My tile will be going in that week and the builder wants to install the backsplash within a week or so of the countertops going in. So I am trying to narrow it down before. Please share your marble backsplashes with me.

The island has an eating bar that isn't shown. The kitchen is also not painted as the pictures are older.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marble - Difference between distributors?

Hi Sunny,

I know for sure with slabs there are different "grades" within each type of marble. If I remember correctly, slabs are graded by letter, A, B, C, etc. with "A" being superior.

The problem is, ad I imagine it would be even more the case with tile, it can be hard to get an honest answer about what grade a slab is.

A saleswoman at a local stone yard known among fabricators for lower quality (like C grade) slabs told me she had no idea what grade the slabs were when I asked. The places that carried high-grade slabs were obviously more willing to discuss it and to disclose what grade each slab is.

A good fabricator can tell whether marble is of high quality based on pitting, etc., so if asking what grade the tile is doesn't work, maybe you can bring a few samples to a fabricator.

o

I can't help you with the tiles but I thought that my cabinets would be much whiter than they are also. Mine are creamy and at first I was quite upset however after a year of living with them I have come to appreciate their slightly calmer feel. I think that white would have been too stark for the long term and the creamier colour has definitely grown on me. Just thought I'd pass that on.

o

blfenton - Thanks for your post. You made me feel a lot better. I do love the two-toned look and I really like the creamy cabinets it just wasn't the white I was imagining. I painted the pantry door to match the cabinets and they repainted the walls from the purple tinged grey that was a bad color match on the walls. I put my countertop sample on the island and was so happy to see the Nougat pick up the cream. I am reassured that it will come together.

I will ask about grades of the marble. I love marble and didn't want to put it on island because of the kids and this is my way to incorporate into the kitchen. There are so many types of marble I am little lost of which one to go with and how to tell which one is going to be a good quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here