deleted

This post was edited by kateskouros on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 15:57

Comments (68)

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

Beautiful. I love all the light.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and serene... you've done a great job thus far planning it out. The natural light streaming in there and into your breakfast nook is wonderful! You're very lucky to have that. Can't wait to see your backsplash!

• jeri
    11 years ago

IâÂÂm so excited I didnâÂÂt miss the revel! IâÂÂm on/off for years and I have followed you when possible. I *love* how you have hidden everything! Function and Form - perfect! IâÂÂll keep this in mind for my upcoming (3 years waiting) reno. If I get my way (dh?) I too will have white shaker style cabinets with marble. :-)

With that marble - you want to keep your backsplash simple IMO. However, I have loved the Arabesque threads lately - do those appeal to you? I wonder if Marble and Arabesque could live harmoniouslyâ¦

Also, thanks to the âÂÂBuilding a Homeâ forum, I have a central vac with the HaH. I would not want to live without it again. DH installed this himself, so it is not too hard to do. Not that he is not talented! But we are DIY folk, not professionals. Also remember, with the HaH, you only need a couple of outlets. I have a 60 foot and a 50 foot and they cover my single story 3300 sq. ft. home.

Beautiful Kate - Enjoy! :-)

• Gooster
    11 years ago

Congratulations and enjoy your new space! I love the hutch of course (both of them, the white and stained twins) but I especially love the breakfast nook. What a wonder, light-surrounded space... almost like a conservatory.

Best wishes, however, in getting DH to give up the TV for book shelf space.

• rkb21
    11 years ago

What a beautiful space. I love all of the natural light!

• eam44
    11 years ago

I like your idea of keeping it simple and somewhat linear, but how would you feel about bs that is a little less rectangular in layout or shape? The first image is of a mosaic of Carrara and Thassos marbles in (essentially) a 1" x 4" herringbone pattern. This is my favorite for your kitchen. I love the calm that the Thassos brings to the Carrara. Actually, I love everything about Thassos marble - from its history to its beauty. In this mosaic it brightens and enlivens the other stone.

Below is a Carrara mosaic in a diamond shape, followed by Carrara hexagons.
    {{!gwi}}

• fourten1j
    11 years ago

For your backsplash, have you considered something like ice grey honed 3x6 marble tiles? That's what I'm leaning towards for my backsplash, and I think it would look great in your space.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

So glad to see your stunning kitchen - with all of its wonderful storage space.
    I love your sun room - those giant windows open up the room with lots of light!
    I think keeping it on the white side of tile is a great idea and you can't go too wrong.
    I am not sure about marble and marble - but maybe if I see some samples it might help.
    The cordless phone - You did such a nice job with the plug mold (pictures!) and then you have the single phone jack in the middle of the one cubby. I debated on this and decided to put our phones in the great room and just swap out charged phones in the kitchen as needed. I do have jack in the wall of our sun room and keep an old non-electronic phone stashed away for power failures.
    Take a look at Breezygirl's recent ABB post - it has a lot of choices and some might work well with your gorgeous kitchen.
    In time, the house problems will be solved. Hang in there!

• Linda
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is truly amazing!!! It must be frustrating to be dealing with all of the things that aren't done/right YET, but know that they will all soon be fixed/finished. You have a spectacular home! I love everything about it!

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

I like your top left one very much.

I also love the idea of a herringbone in white or marble or hexagons. I am loving hexagons - just something classic but with a little twist.

• angel411
    11 years ago

Wow Kate! I have been following your story since back in the day. I have been waiting for this reveal for so long! It does not disappoint- it is so gorgeous!! I love the wood and white tones, the light from the windows, the built in centers, and on and on and on! I know it wasn't easy, and still isn't, but my goodness you should be so proud!

• elissahart
    11 years ago

Your space is just gorgeous. Love the materials and all the windows. Hope that you will enjoy it despite all the remaining frustrations! I like the idea of continuing the marble in the backsplash and think the vertical tile picture you posted could be really cool. Well done!

• fallonflat
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! One of my favorites on Garden Web.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

EAM411, that first option looks interesting. i don't think i've ever seen it before. not sure if it's where i wanted to go though. i'd love to see a backsplash with that tile. and although i love a hex floor, i'm not feeling it for the walls. the diamonds ...i think aren't right for me either. idk...

hoboken, when i see the mini brick in that pic in a new day i STILL love it. that's a great sign!

i think i have to resize the pics -they're a bit small. and hoping oldbat2be will stop by and work some magic here (desperate, not so subtle hint!).

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

What a glorious kitchen! And I do mean glorious! The windows with light filling that amazing space is just too beautiful. Your floors are to die for (not literally!). Your breakfast room is perfect and I love the table and the simplicity of the bench. Who cares about a central vac?.... I've had them in several homes and never used them as they just don't work like the regular ones.

You must be the luckiest girl around. Every detail of your kitchen is stunning. Sending you vitual hugs and salt shakers!

I think you should relax, enjoy the gorgeousness that you've created and wait for a bs. By now you've made a gazillion decisions and joining the ABB club for a couple of weeks or months might be restorative and bring clarity.

Congratulations on one of the loveliest kitchens I've seen.

• amykath
    11 years ago

STUNNING!!!!!!! Whatever you choose will look amazing.

• lincolnduncan
    11 years ago

This is seriously one of the most beautiful kitchens I've seen on this site (or in a magazine for that matter). It's hard to read your post though and not think "damn, these are some first world problems". You did a wonderful job. Be happy in your fantastic kitchen!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

It is so beautiful. I love your window mullions one of my favorite designs. Your bridge faucet is just gorgeous in your kitchen and you did a good job with layout in your kitchen. Really nice. There are so many tiles to choose from it can be a daunting task. Your kitchen is also the perfect candidate for the dramatic ribbon flowing tiles gray on white marble or the new wallpaper looking tiles. Could be fun to mock up! Too many choices out there!

• lannegreene
    11 years ago

When I opened this post I thought those must be her inspiration pictures. Nope, that is her kitchen. Wonderful job, very professional looking.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

wow, looks like a magazine kitchen already. congrats!
    my vote would be mother of pearl mosaic for the backsplash. it would be stunning on your range wall!

[Modern Kitchen Tile[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-tile-prbr1-br~t_1053~s_2105) by Las Vegas Building Supplies BuilderElements.com

[Modern Kitchen Tile[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-tile-prbr1-br~t_1053~s_2105) by Las Vegas Building Supplies BuilderElements.com

• farmhousebound
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I, too, thought those were inspiration pictures at first :)

What kind of S&P shakers and cookie jars do you collect? Might be able to help you out . . . :)

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

So much light and so much beauty! What a great space.

Sorry to hear it's been a heartache for you it really is gorgeous. I love your mixer/crock pot/food processor spot. What a great idea and keeps things hidden when you want to.

I can't wait to see the back splash once you've got that nailed down and installed.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Kate-Bless your heart! Go get that vertical marble tile.
    I've spent the past two weeks looking at marble tiles. That looks like it belongs in your kitchen. Really.
    These houses seem to eat up our lives, I get that; we are a almost two years into our build. I don't have central vac installed yet either. Sometimes all you see is what is not right. Yet.
    Give yourself a chance to make some good memories in your new house. If I had your address I have a S&P shaker set for you :)
    By the way you have one humdinger of a kitchen!

• janetraz
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is amazing! I love your floors. The whole kitchen is just spectacular. The views from all of your windows look so pretty. I love the eating area. I sure hope you are able to relax and enjoy it soon. It's one of my favorite reveals I've seen.

• Pattyjill
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! So much space and a place for everything...luck girl!

Can you tell me the height of your ceiling a about your hood please. I love it!

Thanks for sharing those photos!

patty

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

What about something that echos the variance in your flooring.

Even with an all-white backsplash, something like the first image that EAM44 posted:
    >> The first image is of a mosaic of Carrara and Thassos marbles in (essentially) a 1" x 4" herringbone pattern. This is my favorite for your kitchen. I love the calm that the Thassos brings to the Carrara.

I agree it's perfect for your kitchen. I think it's perfect because of your flooring.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Got your email but couldn't reply due to your settings. (PM me with it if you like).

Glad to see you've taken the plunge...it make take a few maxed-out posts to find what works but I know we're game for it. Can you please post some pictures taken from 'straight on' (these work best).

• honorbiltkit
    11 years ago

What??? Is this tiny, boring, ill-thought out kitchen stiiilll in process?

It remains sublime, Kate, and I don't blame you for freezing up at the prospect of this final decision. I think you should let fate take over and commission a tile mosaic of your famous neighbor leaping through the air with guitar in hand.

Actually, I echo hoboken on the top left/vertical marble tile. With the color variations and the verticality, it presents a gentle bamboo-like texture. I would only caution that I have known people to go crazy trying to get the tones of one grey and white marble to harmonize with those of another.

Congratulations on persevering through your trials. The results are fabulous.

• cardamon
    11 years ago

I'm no help for the backsplash tile. I just wanted to tell you I was glad to see your post and your almost finished kitchen. It is really, really nice. Beautiful choices. But I knew you already had good taste so I would expect nothing else! love all the windows and light. Pick a good one and hope you pist it when it's done. I love looking at your kitchen.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

It looks really gorgeous! Enjoy! I know it's all just too exhausting and so hard to really finish. Sometimes you just need a break. It will be (and already is) fabulous!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I missed this! I'm in Boca! Woohoo.

Today is Thursday...how did your visit with Anna go? Any contenders?

Oh, and of course you already know how much I heart your kitchen! I'll come up and tell you that in person soon.

• sayde
    11 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful kitchen. Have been reading and watching for a long time and have a sense of what you have been through. The pain will recede. You'll eventually get things squared away. You'll forget the problems. This, I promise.

I hope you'll keep the backsplash very, very simple, a background to all the other gorgeous materials you've got there-- the wood, the marble, gorgeous windows. "Elegance is Refusal." Diana Vreeland

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the kind words, everyone! pattyjill, my ceilings are 9' tall, the hood and cabinets are custom.

and..... bee! YES! anna was here today and we went to the tile store and WE FOUND IT!

stay tuned. posting shortly!

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

That is a exciting update!!!

If Bee comes over can I get in on the action for another visit?? : )

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hoboken, you're welcome any time.

and here's the backsplash. it's by alsyedwards; 3/4 x 4 thassos. the grout is kind of sparkly, and really adds a lot of depth to it. we were talking today and i don't think of it as "beautiful". as everyone knows there are some very stunning tiles available, and they are beautiful all on their own. you know the type: they're maybe a bit swirly, laser cut, mixed materials and all that...

but none of them are really "right" for my space. these are Perfect, i think.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

There you go.

Perfect. It will not steal the show from the counters, but it will be an excellent back up singer.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Oh, swoon swoon swoon! It is gorgeous.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Alysedwards tile - quality of sample image is not great so I'm afraid this will not show actual effect.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

michoumonster mother of pearl:

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks so much, oldbat2be! i need to get a price for the tile, but i think we should just assume it costs a fortune.

• annachosaknj6b
    11 years ago

I can vouch that Kate's kitchen (along with the entire house!) is even more gorgeous in person than it is in the pictures! Her kitchen is my favorite by far (including my own, which I love dearly). And that bathroom....there are no words for how stunning it is.

The tile she chose is absolutely perfect for her countertops and the feel of the room and it's going to be a design home run. It is, as bee said, an excellent backup singer. I had never seen that sparkly grout before and it is fascinating. I shouldn't say sparkly because it sounds too My Little Pony and it's not like that at all; it's a hint of sparkle, just enough to intrigue the eye. Anyway, we had a great time; Kate's just as much fun IRL as she is here online. I am looking forward to a return trip to see it all finished!

• jlband25
    11 years ago

The kitchen is stunning! What type of hardwood floors do you have? Is that Carrera Marble you used on your counters?

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you anna, for helping! i really didn't want to go it alone, but you made it so much easier. i've only seen a few pics of your beautiful kitchen, but i hope to see it IRL soon!

thanks to everyone for your support and advice. so many different visions, each of them spectacular ...it really is hard to choose!

jlband25, my floors are american walnut and the counters are calacatta gold.

• zkgardner
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning! Would you mind sharing what your flooring is? Its equally as beautiful.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

All this talk about the fabulous bath, I know this is the wrong forum; but please post a photo here so I can dream!

• embemis
    10 years ago

Kate,
    Your kitchen is beautiful! If you are still checking this, would you mind telling me about the island marble? Were you able to find one slab or is there a seam that I don't see in the pictures?
    Thank you!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Kate, you kitchen is stunning! Can you tell me more about your floors? Also what is the white paint used on your beautiful cabinets?

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks so much! i was fortunate enough to find a large, single slab of calacutta gold (although it's not very gold, which i like). the floors are domestic walnut (mix of A and B grade) and the cabinets are factory painted sherwin williams dover white. it's very creamy, not a bright white.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Kateskouros, I LOVE everything you have done to your kitchen and with all the light and windows you have, going with a creamy white was the right thing to do as it is soft and shows up as white with all the light. The counters are beautiful and the floors are gorgeous. The kitchen cabinets and appliances I am in love with.

• embemis
    10 years ago

How are you liking the Thermador columns? Are the 12 inch handles holding up? We are planning on using the 30 inch fridge & freezer as well! Hope you are enjoying your beautiful kitchen!