Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
everutherford

Distressed black island with biscuit wall cabinets & mocha glaze

EveRutherford
11 years ago

I need help! I have planned on doing a distressed black island with biscuit colored wall cabinets that have a mocha glaze... My contractor, who is great at building is aghast that I want a black island. And now the designer at the cabinet company, who initially gave me a proposal with the black island listed, is suggesting that distressed espresso stained alder would look better. I have 6" wide plank knotty pine flooring. I'm set on the black island. Anyone out there with something similar? Anyone regret putting in a black island with biscuit colored cabinets?

Comments (7)

• jillies01
    11 years ago

I don't have a black island - but I have to say that I think that sounds BEAUTIFUL. If you do a google search there are so many pretty kitchens with black islands and either white or cream perimeter cabinets. I tried to link some pictures, but for some reason I can't get them to work today.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

People thought I was crazy when I said I was going to paint our fp brick wall in our FR black. I am the least decisive person around, but I KNEW it just had to be black, and that it would look good. And you know what? We think it looks terrific, and all the naysayers really like it, too!

Sometimes you have to go with your gut.

That said, realize that black will show dust, much more so than other stain colors. Our MB vanity is black and I could wipe it down daily. Or more often than that. Our hall bath vanity, same style/size, but Bordeaux stain, shows nothing.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

I've seen this combo a LOT in our area. It looks great, go ahead and do it! No worries..

• PRO
    Salmon Falls Cabinetry
    11 years ago

Black is beautiful. Distressed black is really beautiful. I wouldn't want it for the whole kitchen, but the island is a very normal place to "go crazy" with some style.

It may require some more cleaning and dusting, but it will be just fine.

One of the big things around here is finding a really old table and making it the island. Or an island made of barn boards. It is quite the attention getter, as is black. IMO, a nice ogee edge on the granite would make it killer. Just the island, not the main.

• lafacia
    11 years ago

I think you shoukd stick with what you want - what you originally selected. Chances are, you have way more vision. So many beautiful kitchens with black islands on Pinterest and houzz. Souns like its going to look great! I don't have time to search for them right now but here's one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black island

• poohpup
    11 years ago

My island is distressed black and I love it. Make sure you get a sample of a distressed door so everyone is on the same page about how much and where you want the distressing. Houzz.com is full of examples of really overdone distressing. My cabinet maker and I went through a few samples to make sure we were on the same page and I love how it turned out.

You love it, then go for it! It sounds like a beautiful combo.

• EveRutherford
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Apparently there was some miscommunication somewhere... I have always said distressed black, but I think the contractor might still be in denial and told the cabinet company to switch it to the alder. I'm definitely sticking with the black. I have a friend who did exactly what I'm doing, and I love her kitchen. I like wood for floors and doors, just not in my kitchen! Poohpup- thanks for the suggestion on the distressing- will make sure to cover that with the cabinet designer when I meet with her.