Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcorn

Cabinets to end of peninsula or stop short?

kcorn
9 years ago

You all have been so helpful with my layout and I am down to the final detail of my cabinet layout in the wet bar / beverage center area.

We will have an L shape wet bar / beverage center with the peninsula overhang going into the family room. We will have a sink and wine fridge in this space along with a few other lower cabinets as you can see in the layout below.

My dilemma is related to handling the upper cabinets. Right now, we have it designed for symmetry above the current sink placement - a 39" glass cabinet centered over the sink, allowing for an 18" cabinet on either side. However, in this design, the cabinets will be 27" short of the end of the peninsula (including the overhang). This seems like a lot of space � but maybe I could put some artwork there instead?

The other option is to put some additional cabinets to fill up 15" of the space and leave only 12". Would this look off balance to you? Please note: I didn't want to put cabinets over the 12" of overhang coming into the family room area as our ceiling height changes right at that point where the overhang starts. It is a significant change of height and I think it will look too odd having cabinets projecting into the family room.

(FYI - the total length available in this space is 90" for cabinetry and then an additional 12" of overhang)

Comments (5)