Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamkar2006_gw

Antique/ Vintage Farmers Sink

kamkar2006
11 years ago

Has anyone bought an antique cast iron farmers sink and used it in their kitchen or laundry room?

Thanks in advance, any pics of how you incorporated it into your space would be lovely!

Comments (11)

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Kamkar2006,

I used a 1920s Kohler double-basin farm sink in my new construction kitchen. It's still...still...still not finished, but here's a shot to give you an idea how we used it. Also, do a search for Arlosmom. She has a gorgeous double drain-board (if I remember correctly)farm sink in her vintage kitchen. It seems like there are others, but I can't recall the names.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

notherokie, how did you plumb that sink? I believe one side only has room for a bar-sized drain. Any code problems with that? Do you have a GD hooked up to it?

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Marcolo,

I kind of jumped the gun on this sink. Both sides have atypical drains. The right side is the bar-sink-sized drain and the left is a six-inch oversized affair. I've since seen several sinks with this basic configuration, but a normal kitchen drain in one basin that would accommodate a disposer. I wasn't planning on a disposer anyway. I don't use mine currently and I hope to compost more when (if) we ever get moved.

As for code, it wasn't a problem. I hear some cities have inspectors who live to exhibit their familiarity with arcane prohibitions, but we're building in a small town and I think the inspector is pretty thoroughly flummoxed by our house in general.

Oh, and I thought that if I should decide down the road to install a disposal, I could just put it in the 24-inch Shaw sink in the island. My face is burning as I confess that just yesterday I made a discovery. We finally have water(!)and I was thrilled to actually turn on the fancy faucets I've been fondling for so long. I rinsed some sand out of a waste basket and lo and behold it highlighted a fine webbing of crazing in the bottom of my Shaw's. I'll confess that I thought you'd gone ever so slightly off the deep end about these sinks, but I'm being forced to reassess.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Shaw's is supposed to be incredibly responsive in replacing the sinks, so now might be the time to do something about it.

I like your install of the vintage sinks. Not only the cabinetry but the way you up mounted it. It shows the form but it's still low enough not to present an obstacle. I couldn't live without a GD so that's one consideration that's holding me back.

• Maine_Mare
    11 years ago

My kitchen is still in the renovation process but the sink is in and the faucet is attached. I found this sink on Craig's List, it probably had 30 years of grime on it but it cleaned up pretty well!

The cabinets are frameless beadboard and will be painted BM Georgian Brick

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Marcolo, after I bought my sink off ebay, I saw the same seller list some really nice sinks with the standard drain on the shallow side. In a moment of perfectionist insanity, I contacted him about buying a second one. He talked me down. If I recall correctly, he mentioned that people have used creative plumbing to rig garbage disposers to the oversized drains. I really just wanted to use a duo strainer and a second sink would have been a very expensive fix. Thanks for the suggestion to contact Rohl. Part of me just really wants to ignore the issue. I'd like to actually use this kitchen before I die.

Mane-Mare, that's a beautiful installation! Can't wait to see it finished.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Here is my vintage sink. It's a Kohler and such an oddball that they were unable to locate it in their archives. Had started out on a houseboat in the 20's: green kitchen and two bathrooms, one purple and one green. Only a purple toothbrush and cup holder survives other than this sink.
    Anyway, I love the look and will say if your sink has good enamel, go for it. This one has beautiful enamel except on the bottom/lower sides of the bowls. It's impossible to keep it clean. The other issue is the 6" drain/strainer. They don't exist and I was told by a vintage sink guy in California, "if you try to take it off and it breaks, throw out your sink". Regretfully, I'm not including this sink in my new house remodel... it eats up too much of the base cabinet/counter space.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Not to rehash my own thread on this issue, but there seems to be a lot of demand for sinks like these if they could be reproduced and tweaked. The only two repro sinks on the market now do not have the dual-basin functionality--they consume huge amounts of space just for drainboards, and at least one of the repros is quite shallow.

Beware of draining hot pasta water into a shallow '20s sink basin. Don't ask how I know. At least it wasn't my foot.

• Maine_Mare
    11 years ago

Deedles, that is the coolest sink! It's such a shame it can't be used in your new kitchen.

If you're anywhere near Maine...I'll take it off your hands :) I could design an entire mudroom around that.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Deedles, I think you could have a bidding war over that sink! Maine Mare, I love your sink too, and Okie, I've been swooning over your kitchen for ages, love that sink cab! I need another house to accommodate my kitchen loves!

• freckles
    11 years ago

Maine Mare and mabeldingeldine - if you're in the SF Bay Area, there's a vintage double drainboard green sink right now at Ohmega Salvage in Berkeley.
    Listed for $650 but they usually will negotiate.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohmega Salvage Inventory

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida