Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any thoughts on Plain & Fancy painted MDF doors?

Posted by marcia59 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 14:51

I saw a KD today that I liked. She has several cab lines, but I think I'm likely to be choosing between Ultracraft and P&F.

We really like shaker style and I think the choice will come down to natural maple or painted white. One thing steering me away from painted doors is the cracking that you get on the seams(?) joins(?) . . . the cracking where you get where two boards meet. I know that MDF inset panels are the usual method of dealing with this on a shaker door, but that I will still see cracking over time.

P&F offers a completely MDF door for painting. The KD says the advantage is that it won't crack and that the only disadvantage is that it can't be refinished.

Any other pros or cons?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any thoughts on Plain & Fancy painted MDF doors?

I have P&F painted inset cabinets and no cracking after 9 years. I have a tiny bit of wear on the edge of the trash pullout and on the DW panel handle which I bought for $4 from Lee Valley and had them spray for me.

Can't help on their MDF.

I'm not especially a fan of kitchen cabinets and I only like painted. Also very critical. I've been super happy with P&F quality (even with some installation goofs which I hope you wouldn't have). There's a can of their paint in the basement (contractor urged me to get just in case) which is probably be too old to use if it's ever needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here