Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stained vs. Painted Cabinets

Posted by lac153 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 14:51

I love both looks of stained and painted cabinets, so I cannot decide. I am really leaning towards stained, but I also want to do hardwood floors. For our budget, I know we will need to do Alder cabinets. Any pictures of Alder cabinets? Or stained cabinets with hardwood floors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stained vs. Painted Cabinets

I like the look of stained because a hint of the natural wood shows through. We have cream/tan stain on maple and it's nice but we have a ceramic-look (lino) flooring.

o

I have stained cabinets with hardwood floors. I am a fan of the light color that really lightens up and opens the space.

Photobucket

o

I can tell you the painted route is definitely cheaper. You don't have to worry about having as high quality wood and the painting process is definitely less time consuming than staining.

We originally budgeted to do painted cabinets but ended up going with stained. In the end, like icequeen mentioned above, its nice seeing a hint of the natural wood through the stain.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen!

o

Most of the manufacturers I deal with charge more for paint. Perhaps the cheaper painted doors Scott speaks of were MDF? If you're getting painted cabinets, I don't know as the wood matters. Something like oak will look a lot different than painted birch or maple (just because it's got a wide open grain) but there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between painted birch or maple and painted mdf.

o

Here's a pic of my stained alder w/ hickory hardwood floors.

Photobucket

o

Crazyhouse6, I love your kitchen cabinets and your floor is beautiful. I love how your island brightens up the kitchen and giving it that new updated look with islands a different stain/color than the kitchen cabinets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here