Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise142

For those of you thinking about an Ikea kitchen...

denise142
10 years ago

I'm thinking about getting a plan made by IKD, an Ikea kitchen planning company. I love the idea of getting a professional kitchen design, at a reasonable price, to ensure my kitchen design is well thought out, will work well egonomically, and most importantly, saves me the hassle of using the Ikea kitchen planner, which does not seem very user-friendly? Does anyone have any experience with this company? Alternative companies? Thanks for your advice about this.

Comments (3)

• feisty68
    10 years ago

One of the principals of IKD is a frequent poster on ikeafans.com and s/he really knows his/her stuff. I would tend to trust that company based on that.

I DIYed the design with some crucial help from ikeafans.com and I'm very happy with it.

A lot of it is truly knowing what you want from your kitchen - your design mission, which is about looks, function, feeling, etc.

Be aware that the current IKEA kitchen line is being phased out (within the next year?) so you'll need to figure out timelines for your reno. Lots of sales and good prices now or...spanking new design-y line soon (see the METOD line in Europe).

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

I spent hours and hours on coming up with a design and then enlisted the Ikea design services (provided by a subcontractor) for $200. The services included measuring, putting the design into the Ikea design software and in the meantime, adding suggestions they thought might be helpful. I am very satisfied with how things are going. I'm sure if I had paid more, I wouldn't have ended up with some of the problems such as routing of the range hood exhaust and fridge door space just barely allowing that doors be open fully. Also, there will be one open shelf on each side of the cooktop (beneath the upper cabinets). Wish I would have thought about exactly what the open shelf was going to be made up, provided by.
    Bottom line, I am extremely happy with what I've got but had there been another option for an Ikea design service that had a higher price (i.e. assuming better) and was local, I would have used the more expensive service. There were so many traumatic moments along the way that could had been avoided had I had a little bit more guidance. I checked Angie's list and searching on Ikea produced only a couple of results and turned out those results didn't do kitchens, only ofices and living room cabinets, etc.

• peppers_mom
    9 years ago

I really love IKEA design. But I hate the home planner! Sure, itâÂÂs free, but it was real aggravating and just not worth it. I found IKD after some googling and thought it was worth giving them a try. Anything not to deal with the home planner! I thought I would go bald tearing out my hair!

Well I didnâÂÂt go bald thanks to IKD. For not a lot of money (but I think their price went up) they took my sketches and my Pinterest kitchen board and made the kitchen of my dreams. It wasnâÂÂt perfect the first time but with a couple of phone conversations we got exactly what we were looking for.

Oh we had also heard the planner wouldnâÂÂt give you a complete shopping list, like things would be missing and youâÂÂd have to go back. IKD reassured me this wouldnâÂÂt happen and they were right.

Our kitchen is nearly done, weâÂÂve just been waiting for a free weekend to finish up a couple of things. WeâÂÂre really happy. I recommend them highly.