Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Need help with Backsplash- Mock-up greatly appreciated :))

raehelen
16 years ago

OK,

Just when I'd about given up on finding a backsplash, found a couple of contenders while looking for tile for shower- figures- right?

I have three pics- one of each choice, and one of counter/cabinet without any in case anyone is willing and able to do a mock-up for me. Now that camera is working again (still need to buy a new one- but have a short reprieve), I can take more photos if required.

Short background, we are basically craftsman/mission type people, we love hand-crafted natural materials, floor is Tigerwood, can take pics with that if needed, but same tones as cabinets. There will be a short granite backsplash on counters- can be any height we want- so if we pick 3X3, we'd do 3" BS, 4X4, 4" BS. We are having solid granite windowsills, and backsplash underneath them (2 greenhouse windows), and solid behind stove. There will be a 5" radius curve from top of BS to 3" strip (Like Dorothy's).

I had two other choices, but DH vetoed them. One was ceramic subway tiles, in 2 tones, I kinda liked it, but think that these two suit the whole house motif better. AND, we still have a fireplace surround to do- and could incorporate something that ties in with BS- there will be the same granite on a ponywall in the LR (same room as FP). I'm adding a photo of the FP rough opening (in case anyone has any bright ideas). We have a beautiful slab of birds eye maple that we'll be making into the mantle leaving the outside edge natural- and are going to have two columns on either side of the opening outside the 6 foot wide hearth. Same Tigerwood flooring in LR as in kitchen. (See small sample in front of hearth?)

This tile really picks up the sagey green tones in granite

This slate has many of the tones in granite

This is blank counter

This is FP rough opening- 6 feet wide- hearth is 16" deep

{{!gwi}}

Comments (15)

• muscat
    16 years ago

At first I liked the first one better, but I had to keep looking at the slate just because I do love slate and its natural earthiness. As I looked at your choices again, and the fireplace, I think I'd pick the slate if you are looking for a tile to use in both locations.

Both are really nice with both your cabinets and granite.

The granite looks very dark/grey/blue-green in the first two pictures, but very brown/grey/green in the last picture. What granite is that?

oh, and I am useless at mock ups. Sorry!!!

• jlab
    16 years ago

I think the first one looks really good. You are right it does bring out the green in the counter. May I ask where you found the second one? I have been having some difficulty finding a 3 x 3 slate and that looks exactly like what I wanted to use for our backsplash. Thanks!

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your responses,

Muscat, the granite is Butterfly Blue, and it looks like the top two very dark/grey/blue-green. The blue is a periwinkle blue, it has cranberry spots and large sagey-green leaf shaped spots. (I find it very difficult to take good pictures of granite. Maybe when I get a new camera with more pixels it will be clearer.) Seems to be impervious to everything so far- very hard.

jlab, I got the sample from a store in Canada called Tiles for Less. the stock # on the invoice for the sample reads: FD-PN_MOS_MIX P.Naturali 13X13 Mosaic mix It is 6.99 a piece (ie each 13 X 13) When I take the sample back, I'll ask for the name of the supplier.

• dawn_t
    16 years ago

Beautiful tiles!

Here's a quick mock up in PSP.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

HTH,
    Dawn

• dawn_t
    16 years ago

Oops - looks like I got the scale of the 3" slate tile wrong, compared to the cabinet. It appears quite a bit smaller than it should (more like 2"?) I'm not good at trying to cut and paste into 2 different sized pics.

Dawn

• jlab
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the info and if you could find the supplier I would be VERY grateful.

So after seeing the mock ups I have to say that I really love the first tile. The cabinet really brings out the brown in the tile and the green looks beautiful with the counter.

Dawn t- great job!

• cpang74
    16 years ago

I agree after mock up I prefer #1.

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dawn,

Thankyou so much!

That really helps a tremendous amount. Sorry about the small slates being wonky- had a wee accident- had them fun-tacked up, but not for long... if you know what I mean...- so had to hold them, and being on a paper backing they didn't sit up straight!

DH just left for work- but wonder if he'll still prefer the slate after seeing these pics! I LOVE the tile even more now- even the accent that I wasn't crazy about looks fine. I'm thinking if I go tile, I'd have some custom made accent pieces done, and I've got my eye on a Motawi tile on eBay!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

#1 here too!

What is tile #1? I think it looks very, very nice w/your cabs & granite!

• bayshank
    16 years ago

#1 tile looks great ! go for it

• dawn_t
    16 years ago

Glad to help, because I'm going to be asking for everyone's collective wisdom and input, in a few months :)
    We're starting a new build in 19.5 days. (first one and hopefully last one!)

Dawn

• muscat
    16 years ago

I'm back to voting for #1, though if #2 were available in smaller tiles, it would look better. I think that for their size, there is too much contrast between the colors of the tiles. A smaller mosaic look would be nicer. #1 is GREAT!!!

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dawn,

How exciting! We built a new house 23 years ago, and I don't remember having the angst this remodel is causing. Maybe being younger and having my hands full with a wee babe kept me more centred. Of course, we had a GC- and this time around I'm taking on that role, so that may have something to do with it.

Buehl,

The tile is from Italy, a company called Marca Corona. I tried to find it online and I'm guessing it may be either
    'Re-Action' or Evolution. Very reasonably priced.

I also found a pic of Evolution at Oldcountrytile.com that site has beautiful gallery pics that are worth navigating. Unfortunately, I can't post a link to the exact page, but if you go to the Home page, click on products, then walls, then the pink dot at the end of the second line...hee hee... you can see a pic of the tile in a bathroom. The backsplash pics are truly inspiring and I recommend for anyone still on the hunt!

Here is a link that might be useful: fastfloors has a pic of Re-Action from Marca Corona

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

I like #1 with your kitchen.

dawn: nice job with PS

I think I will be posting soon with my BS ideas.

• User
    16 years ago

the mock up changed my thinking; just love tile number one

i think it will look fabulous with the cabs and counter

GL

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!