Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djhinva

Help with black granites please!

Heritage Chrome
12 years ago

Hi all! Trying to convince DH that the antiqued black pearl we like will still be black when it is in place in the house. He keeps saying the slabs look gray in the warehouse in contrast to the polished! It does loose a bit, but I think once it's in place, with cream cabinets, that the contrast will be sufficient enough to still read "black" to the eye. Does anyone have experience with this? Does your antiqued/leathered AB or Black Pearl still look black? He's a show me kind of guy. If you have photos (Francois47? I think you have exactly the look I'm going for!), please post them??

Comments (19)

• InfoDiva1
    12 years ago

My AB leathered reads as black with irregular greyish splotches, which move around depending on how the light hits. My cabs are white and the countertop is a tremendous contrast. It's so "un-granite" looking that a number of people have asked me what my countertop material is.

That being said, the stuff is bulletproof. All kinds of grease, etc. have been left on it for hours and it cleans up without a trace.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• califkitchen
    12 years ago

I don't know if this will help or not-

I have honed black labrador granite. When the stone yard showed it to me, they had some with "enhancer" on it and some without. The enhancer definitely made it more black. I wanted more of a grey black so I chose not to put the enhancer on my slabs. If your DH like s more of a black black, you should look into the stone enhancer

• ellabee_2016
    12 years ago

Is it possible to buy a square foot sample of the granite (finished as yours will be)? That would seem to be worthwhile, given the overall expense and the importance of both of you being sure it's what you want.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

We used honed AB as a saddle in our MB. They enhanced it for us to better match the charcoal-black porcelain floor tile, so I am guessing it wasn't as dark/black when it was un-enhanced. It looks pretty dark and black now though.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all, Thank you so much for your responses and suggestions. This Forum is wonderful for advice!

Califkitchen - I've seen the enhanced and I think I would definitely want it.
    InfoDiva1 - I like bulletproof. I think some variety would be great actually.
    cat_mom - I like your name..my daughter is Cat also..(plus if you saw my most recent Fusion picture "Saturday Salb shopping post...)..it's of a Cat!!)
    ellabee_2016 - We've tried to get samples, and they just aren't offering yet. I think I have to be ready to reserve before I'll actually get a sample.
    francoise47 - Thank you so much for the images. your kitchen is lovely. Your closeup actually shows quite a bit of texture and helps me. And yes, it reads black.
    I'll just keep on working towards this and see where I get!
    Thank you again.
    ;-D

• babs711
    12 years ago

InfoDiva1, I'm *this* close do doing leathered AB on our perimeters. I saw/felt it for the first time last week. It's very very nice! Did you have yours sealed or enhanced or does it need it since it's so dark? I've read various things. I just don't want to seal it then have the sealer be the etching problem (which I've also read). Thanks!

Francoise, your kitchen is lovely! I remember your pendants! Those are the ones that aren't made for US, right? I think I looked at those but thought they wouldn't work for some reason. I like them but can't recall what site they were on!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Babs:
    I bought the octagonal pendants over my island at ABC Home in NYC.
    I'm guessing, (lol) that thanks to my flashing pictures of them all over GW,
    ABC Home has jacked the price up from the $119 I paid to 150 dollars each.

They are made by Chehoma (which does not sell retail)
    and can be purchased through Deco et Compgnie for 119 dollars each.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendants at Decoetcompagnie

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

I think its odd you can't get a sample. I have about 10 granite samples right now from three different places. 2 do not expect to get them back. The other does but is in no hurry. All of them were free.

Go somewhere were you can get samples.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

it's the leathered or antique finish that I can't seem to get a sample of and I agree..it's odd. Now we're in discussion about which comes first, antiqued or leathered..or rather which is smoother. I honestly think a lot of places are using these terms interchangeably. I know that when I see/feel it..I'll know it no matter what the "label" is and that's what matters.Looks like I'm traveling to THE place that does these finishes. What I spend in gas could be my backsplash!! Yikes

• InfoDiva1
    12 years ago

Babs, my leathered AB has no sealer or enhancer. There's a pic in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: InfoDiva's AB leathered granite

• Paul Celeste
    12 years ago

We did the leathered Jet Mist, sealed it and it is great. So easy to care for.

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

I have ''brushed'' Black Pearl, looks a lot like leathered, on my perimeter cabinets. I love it. It reads as black, shows NO fingerprints or other stains after almost a year. A southern exposure window behind it does not cast glaring reflections. Here are a few old pics that might be useful to you:
    This shows the granite with harsh sunlight on it in the front, shadow in the back:

This shows the beautiful texture in ''normal'' lighting:

And this shows the ''black'' look of the counter at a distance:

Hope these are useful.

Sandra

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Sandra -- Your counters and kitchen are beautiful!
    I love the brushed treatment.
    It really brings out the variegation in the stone in a very appealing way.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! They are all gorgeous! Ack!!! My heart goes ba-boom ba-boom for Virginia/Jet Mist..but it's out of our range. Sigh. Thank you Sandra for your pictures. Your granite is really beautiful!

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello InfoDiva! I was just looking again at your picture and your layout looks almost identical to ours! So nice to finally see one similar. I love how your granite looks too!

• jcee730
    12 years ago

Hi Sandra! I love the look of your textured granite and was looking for something similar but a little concerned that the texture will make it harder to keep clean with all the little crevices.My mom says cake batter and oils may get stuck... what has your experience been thus far?? Thanks :)

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

jcee
    The texture is SO easy to clean. The variation is slight and gradual, not crevices, but shallow rounded undulations. Just a wipe with a damp sponge and it comes clean. And NO problems with scratching or etching either. It is a tactile and visual delight delight. If it is what you want, I cannot imagine that cleaning will ever be a problem.

Sandra

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found a brushed black pearl today and put it on hold. I'm so excited I don't know that it is really brushed..it doesn't have as much texture, but it's lovely and I'm so relieved. Thank you so much for posting the pictures.

{{!gwi}}

Source: Uploaded by user via Deborah on Pinterest