Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

A penny backsplash?

kam76
10 years ago

So I am having some copper accents in my kitchen and saw this cool idea for doing a penny floor. Works out to be about $2.00 a square foot (not bad!). Has anyone tried this as a backsplash? It looks like they give an option of gluing the pennies to mesh squares first so that technically would work for a backsplash right- just like tiles that are on a mesh? I guess you would have to grout with something to not see the mesh lines. Regular tile grout? They suggest a polyurathane sealant over the top. Is there something comparable that could be used on vertical surfaces but would still give that glossy wet look?

http://adetailedhouse.com/2012/07/28/cents-and-sensibility-how-to-make-a-penny-floor/

Comments (26)

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Looks cool, but I just see germs. haha I would have to make sure every penny was super clean before I started. Yes there are sealants that you can put over them that would give them a shiny finish.

• itsallaboutthefood
    10 years ago

Can't you put this behind a piece of glass to take care of any cleaning issues? But you would want to seal them so that they won't tarnish over time.

• psbjmb
    10 years ago

I haven't seen a penny backsplash, but did see a penny bar countertop done (link below). You might find some ideas in the link - though it's not grouted, it's covered with an epoxy that wouldn't work on a vertical surface.

I wonder if you could build an insert horizontally to lay the pennies on and epoxy and then attach them to the walls (like largish tiles?)

I hope you figure it out and show us some pictures :-)

Patty

Here is a link that might be useful: Penny Countertop

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol. I am not a germ a phobe i guess. I would probably clean them just to be sure the dirt/grime was off so they would stick well. The article said you could try vinegar if you want them shiny. I use white vinegar as my main household cleaner.

teacher tile do you have any recommendations of names of sealants I should look into? Any special consideration on applying it to a vertical surface? Would you grout first? TIA!

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Could you install it on those thin sheets of "wood", then put that up? Probably would have to come up with some way to over lay the seams though, so they would fit like a puzzle to not be "straight". I think it's a fun idea, I've seen counter tops "covered" with pennies too. Of you could make a framed back panel and hang it as an accent piece.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Here's a youtube tutorial:

Here is a link that might be useful: penny backsplash

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

terri_pacnw said: "Could you install it on those thin sheets of "wood", then put that up? Probably would have to come up with some way to over lay the seams though, so they would fit like a puzzle to not be "straight".

I am using beadboard paneling for my backsplash, and the edges are routed to "click" together so-to-speak. The pennies could be mounted on such paneling, sealed up and them attached, i would think. Did not look at writersblock's link, yet.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Writer's block that is a lovely backsplash, cool how they used all new pennies for the shiny effect but it looks like they just super glued them ...didn't seal them at all. I would worry that moisture/grime would get between the spaces. I really like the epoxy look but it seems that would need to be done on a flat surface and then somehow tacked up to the wall....I will have to think on this.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Here's one for a floor that seems like you could maybe adjust it to the wall:

Here is a link that might be useful: penny floor template

• localeater
    10 years ago

The link is to an article about a mosiac artist who did a penny floor. It mentions she grouted and sealed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amanda Edwards

• xedos
    10 years ago

They get encased in resin / epoxy which will create a smooth and fairly hypoallergenic surface.

Since no air will get to the pennies, they won't tarnish any more than they already are.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

Here they talk a little bit about adhesives and grout.

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Kitchens/Copper-Penny-Back-Splash/detail.esi?oid=28580752

Here is a picture of copper penny tile from Houzz. In the comments there are a couple of companies mentioned where you can buy the tile. Good luck!

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Doylestown Kitchen & Bath Remodelers Superior Woodcraft, Inc.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I love copper, and I think it's a very cool look. We'd talked about this idea as a floor, but I hadn't considered it for a backsplash. I want to use pennies somewhere, but I'm not dead-set on whether it'll be the kitchen, the laundry room, or a bathroom. Or maybe we'll have a penny-covered coffee table instead.

I played with this idea some time back (just on a little piece of scrap wood), and I messed up pretty badly the first time. DEFINITELY PRACTICE! I used gorilla glue (read that somewhere online), and it "expanded" after I put it down. The result was that the pennies "popped up" and glue squirted out between them. Obviously, I used too much. I'll say it again: DEFINITELY PRACTICE.

I watched the video that someone provided -- I didn't know you could get "new" pennies. Where would one obtain these?

This post was edited by MrsPete on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 20:54

• crl_
    10 years ago

Copper is anti microbial so pennies are actually the perfect backsplash for a germaphobe. .

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper is anti microbial

• mdln
    10 years ago

Saw (& liked) that penny floor pic before.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Ya, only the Federal Reserve can wreck the money, not us!

Pfffttt...

Look at Jelinik cork for their penny mosaics.

Here is a link that might be useful: cork penny tiles

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

OK, here's info from the Dept. of the Treasury, key word "fraudulent".

"Is it illegal to damage or deface coins?

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who âÂÂfraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.â This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent."

On the other hand, in 2006, there was a 120-day temporary limit on melting or exporting pennies and nickels, due to a shortage.

Here is a link that might be useful: interim rule of limit on melting and exporting coins

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

Oh prosecution isn't guaranteed. ;)

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Allison did a wonderful article on tiling with pennies that showed how to get color gradation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiling With Pennies

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

nosoccermom shared: "This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is."

So a placard reading "These pennies have been altered" would be enough of a disclaimer to avoid prosecution?

LMBO, I am definitely playing, lest my comment be taken as snark.

The whole penny thing is not MY thing but I am fascinated by its appeal.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

Oh the Federal Reserve. Eh. I turned down a library job there because I didn't like being under a microscope all day. Yes even in their library.

Well I wouldn't worry about prosecution because there are lots of public places with altered money, but if you're concerned there are several similar looks above.

There was a bar with a penny bar top we went to as kids. Yes a bar. It was the '80s, the ghetto, and they had quarter tacos and a pinball machine so it was okay. I remember sitting at that bar with my sisters completely enamored with the glued down pennies.

There is also a Bbq place in NE Iowa where they did the entire floor in pennies. Its a very rustic place but has a very cool look.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

"there are no sanctions against such activity [i.e. altering coins] absent FRAUDULENT intent."

So, if you spray paint a coin with gold enamel and then try to pass it off as a genuine gold coin, that would be fraudulent.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Someone just posted this one over at ikeafans:

{{!gwi}}

All they say is "pennies set in black grout", but if you wanted to sign up there you could ask them.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikeafans stat kitchen

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

More details on that backsplash today:

For those who want deets:

Pennies are a mix of heads & tails arranged in a completely random distribution of shiny/nonshiny. I glued pennies to ~8"x10" chunks of window screening using circular graph paper layered behind as a guide. Because I didn't want to risk the grout polishing the pennies to sparkly newnessâÂÂI like the vibrance of the variationâ I sprayed the sections with a matte, clear spray sealer before attaching the chunks to the wall with regular tile adhesive. I then grouted with black grout and sealed the whole thing with a coat of satin polyurethane I happened to have left over from redoing hardwood floors.

Two things I would do differently next time (and, oh, yes, there will be a next time!): 1) go right to the ceiling. 2) leave a little space between the pennies.

• kvdjas
    3 years ago

Beautiful