Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindiver

Take pictures as you go along!`

lindiver
13 years ago

Hi, I'm just cruising by as I finish printing the pictures we need and don't have time at the moment to find the right thread to add this to.

One of the best pieces of advice I read on GW (besides all the planning help, responses to SOS's and everything else) was to TAKE PICTURES. We followed that advice and have pics of excavation, cement, the all important studs, electric wires, pipes, etc. We've already had to get them out on a few occasions as the electricians needed to be sure of where certain wires were, the cabinetmaker needed to double check for studs in hanging and today, as I'm running back to the master closet with the pictures of where the studs are exactly.

I highly recommend that you take pictures for reference as you go along.

Be back later after the closet is done. :-)

Comments (7)

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

LOTS of pictures. I didn't take enough. There is no such thing as too many pictures.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

That's not the only reason to take pics...sometimes you need them to prove that someone did or did not do something...that was our experience! Our GC forgot to replace insulation in our outside wall & ceiling (where it overhangs). They claimed they did not take the insulation out and that our outside plumber must have...I had dated pictures showing the insulation was removed weeks before our outside plumber was there! There were other similar instances as well as instances when they claimed something was never there...but I had pics to prove otherwise. It got so as soon as the GC said something like that I'd respond, "I have pictures, do you want to see them?" and he'd say never mind, we'll fix it.

• country_smile
    13 years ago

yes...take pictures of everything. We had to pull out the photos to show the electrician where the drywaller crew mistakenly covered up an electrical outlet.

• nkkp
    13 years ago

Ditto about the pic for electrical outlets - we had a few covered over too. Also, we put extra 2x6 cross braces between the studs in our closets, beside the windows, etc. This way, we have a solid wood backing to screw shelves, poles, drapery rods, etc into. I wrote with a black magic marker the location of the cross brace on it (i.e. 60" arrow down, 30" arrow right) and took pictures. Now I just have to look back at the photos to see exactly where the braces are located. We did the same thing for our t.v. mount. If only the pictures were organized-lol!

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

We learned how valuable that was when we built our last house. After we moved in, I happened to notice the water in the toilet was hot!! I was pretty shocked. I knew in an instant what the probem was.....the hot and cold water supply lines going to that bathroom were crossed. But I had my pictures so it was really easy to see exactly where the problem was and it was a fast and easy repair. On this house, I needed to mount some heavy brackets to support my granite bar. I knew there was electrical wires in that area somewhere, just not too sure exactly where. After looking at my photos, I was able to determine exactly where it would be safe to drill. Gotta LOVE digital cameras!!

• bobb_2010
    13 years ago

According to the Cordeleone Syndicate (Wiring forum, X-Ray Service thread) knowing the inside of your walls is not important, the Pros, they call themselves, can spot and fix the problems by sight. [roll eyes] How much longer and the extra cost in diagnosing they don't mention.

Here is a link that might be useful: X-ray Service Thread

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    13 years ago

Ditto what Buehl said: when the sheetrock guys covered over the wiring for the undercabinet lighting, they blamed the electrician for not marking the wiring. The electrician insisted he had. The photos proved the electrician right, and who was reponsible for the extra cost! (Not me!)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm