Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prep sink size?

Posted by khallock (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 14:38

I am having a prep sink on my island. I really dont know what sink to buy! The cabinet is 24" wide.

I already bought my main sink - a Blanco wave undermount stainless steel sink. I was going to just get another Blanco (single bowl) sink that was smaller. But then I was looking at mrdirectint.com and the prices on that website are much less! They have sinks that look similar to the Blanco sink I was going to buy for a prep sink.

Should I stick with Blanco so that the finishes match? Will it really even be noticeable? Should my main sink and prep sink have a similar shape?

DH wants a small prep sink. but i've seen people post here that they got the largest one they could fit. I'm not sure what to do. I've never had a prep sink before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prep sink size?

I would be careful about other brands of stainless sinks. I have heard that some that have been imported from China have rusted. Blanco is one of the best stainless sink manufacturers in the world, in my opinion. I would stick with them. As for size... I have never heard anyone complain about a sink that was too large!

o

Typically bar prep sinks are 15-18" W

All stainless steel will match, make sure you are getting at least 18 guauge thickness and you should be good to go.

o

Your title say size, but you seem to be more concerned about price. Besides the price or matching finish, the quality of the stainless, the overall quality of the manufacture, the gauge or thickness of the metal, the use or lack of an undercoating to reduce noise, delivery and availability, return policy if the sink isn't what was expected, whether the manufacturer and the dealer will be around to deal with any issues should they arise and more should factor into your decision make sure you are factoring all these things into your decision. The sink will be used daily, probably many times daily, and for a long time. Depending on how it is mounted, replacing it could be a real pain -- and is likely to cost more than the savings you are looking at just to pull it out, disconnect and reconnect the plumbing. There are plenty of reasons not to skimp.

Personally, I would not go smaller than 15x15 (close to what I have --and a Blanco, BTW) or 16 x16 for a prep sink, and if you have room for 18 inches or more, that can be a good thing. I would also try to have an 8 or 9 inch depth to reduce splashing in a smaller bowl and to be able to fit colanders,e tc. I was trying to balance the need for work space on my island and am very happy I didn't go smaller . I might have been able to go slightly larger, but I have a 21" depth cabinet and I think we balanced everything we were working with pretty well.

o

Mine is 12 x 14 (elkay). It fits a large collander, which is what I wanted min. We started out with a 24" cab planned, but ended up shrinking it to 20" when we decided on that sink, and that gave me 4" more on a drawer stack in the island. I wanted to maximize counter space. I'm happy with the size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here