Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackier_gw

finished brooklyn kitchen

jackier
13 years ago

first off thanks to all the amazing info i've gathering from this kitchen forum...i've learned so much here, it's been invaluable!

this was a tough project from the start...a brownstone built in 1901 with many obstacles (doorways, windows, chimney bumpouts, money)...but i gathered a great team of people, research everything like crazy, and kept a sense of humor throughout.

Sources:

rta custom cabinets from Scherr's :: painted sherwin williams 'repose' gray (uppers) and 'dovetail' gray (lowers)

(they are amazing...i can't say enough about how great scherrs is to work with)

caesarstone organic white countertops

oversized subway tile backsplash

all faucets are Danze Parma Collection (brushed nickel) from faucet direct.com

extra deep kraus kitchen sink from overstock.com

cork floor tiles from durodesign cork

open shelves made by KF cabinetry (brooklyn ny)

bosche stove/microwave, dishwasher

kitchenaid bottom freezer single door fridge

tolix counter stools

titan1 pendant lights from DWR

Here is a link that might be useful: i blogged my whole process at designsmitten.blogspot.com

Comments (38)

• Fori
    13 years ago

Very very nice.

It's beautiful and appropriate.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Hi Jackier --very beautiful! I love how calm your kitchen is, while being very pretty and chic. i look forward to reading your blog.

• Angela
    13 years ago

Love it! Great job!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Love it. It is a huge breath of fresh air. I love modern and your kitchen is a wonderful example. Dark sink is a punch and so much counterspace. Lovely counters, too. Just right for family, friends, cooking, eating, reading. No gimmicks. Truthful. (I just made up that ---for a kitchen--truthful) And yours is truthful, so not pretentious and so lovely. Enjoy.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Oh, it's so beautiful. I particularly like how you stacked the cabinets to the ceiling.

• lazydaisynot
    13 years ago

Wow, what a great kitchen. Nice job!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Jackie, that's just gorgeous, and so light, airy, and spacious looking for a Brooklyn brownstone! And appearances are deceiving, since there's actually so much storage.

I'm glad I looked at your blog for more pictures -- your accessories are lovely, and even the cabinet liner paper is so pretty! And the cork floors are terrific.

Please post the eggbeater display when you finish : ).

Becky

• elba1
    13 years ago

Congrats - enjoy your new kitchen!

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Great blog!

What type of brackets did you use for your shelves? Vendor?

• caryscott
    13 years ago

Such a nice clean lines but at the same time it has such an unassuming, casual and warm atmosphere that one doesn't always associate with more minimalist design. Fantastic restraint. Terrific choices.

• jerzeegirl
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

what a great kitchen! such a calm inviting space. "repose"... what a lovely color gray. you did a wonderful job. i really, really like it! :)

• clafouti
    13 years ago

Love it!
    I also used the Alvar Aalto vase idea from remodelista.
    Your kitchen looks so fresh, modern, warm, inviting.
    Congratulations!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I wish I could pull off a room as simply chic as your kitchen! It's just perfect for what I picture a very urban Brooklyn brownstone to be. I've never been to Brooklyn mind you, but your kitchen screams Brooklyn to me. Thanks for sharing!

• User
    13 years ago

Beautiful and simple. I love all the clean lines and that is a great choice of colors for the cabs. Serene....I will check out the blog. c

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

What a great space. I enjoyed your blog immensely. Love the punches of color in small amounts. Also have to say the custom bath cabinet with the litter box is genius! Enjoy your lovely home.

• doraville
    13 years ago

Very bright! I would have not thought of using the larger tiles for the backsplash, but they are a nice choice. The gray of the cabs show up better on the blog. Enjoy.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Love, love, love your kitchen!! The choice of cab colors and style, peninsula table, open shelves (and EAT--too cool!), cork floor, counters, bs (especially including it behind open shelves), lighting, and all knobs (which surprises me because I tend to gravitate to pulls)!

Please share all info you can about those open shelves and how they're installed. Do you know how much weight they'll hold? I so want open shelving to the right of my range (over my prep area), but they'll need to hold quite abit of weight. TIA!

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen and thanks for sharing!

• mcgillicuddy
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen!

It looks like you have everything you need, and nothing you don't need. It's so clean and open and seemingly simple, but it also reflects much care and thought in every decision. It's minimalist in the best way.

Wonderful job!

• jackier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi all- OP here.
    thanks for all of the lovely comments and compliments!

there were a few people who asked about the hidden shelf brackets.
    i posted about them on my blog but in a nutshell: we had some heavy duty angle irons made by a local metalworker herein the neighbor hood (one of those places that makes iron fences and railing really...lots of em here in brooklyn). then our contractor attached them to the studs before the sheetrock and tile. the guys that made the shelves made sure there were voids in the actual shelf inself so they slip right onto the bracket like a sleeve...the shelves are very thick to begin with.

http://designsmitten.blogspot.com/2011/01/s-h-e-l-v-e-s-i-n-p-r-o-g-r-e-s-s.html

Here is a link that might be useful: designsmitten

• brianadarnell
    13 years ago

Jackie- wow! I don't know how I missed this on Friday, but your new kitchen is lovely! I love the cleanness of the gray/white combo. Beautiful!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

The first word that came to mind was "pleasant". I think it is a very cheerful and clean look and will make a happy place to prepare meals. You have a lot of storage but have managed to still have a nice work area and to keep it all attractive. It is sophisticated without being remote. This one is a great example of making the most of your space. ;)

• junicb
    13 years ago

Looks great!

I would love some more details about your Scherr's experience, if you have the time. I skimmed the blog, but didn't seem a lot about your cabinet buying/assembly process. Thanks!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I've been considering SW Dovetail Gray...Is the 2nd photo the most accurate in terms of how dark it looks in person?

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

I'm a fan of upper cabs in one color/stain mixed with lower cabs in another color/stain so right off the bat, I love your kitchen. It's inviting and well laid out. You must love cooking in it.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Totally OT but after visiting your blog, I wanted to give you a heads up about housing a litter box in a vanity cabinet. We did this in our laundry room. We love the out of sight concept and we had no problems with our previous cat. But we've run into issues with our current kitty. He, uh, sometimes misses the box. Over time, his periodic accidents have destroyed the cabinet box. If you haven't already, you might want to take steps to protect the cabinet (we put down a large scrap of vinyl flooring). It might not be an issue for you but, well, you know the saying about "stuff" happening. ;-)

• jackier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

junicb i'd love to give you more info...you can email me at jackielnx at gmail dot come. i can send you their shop drawings which are great to see and are very helpful.

lisa a- thanks for the litter box advice...good to know! i 'm so glad we did this...and so glad they're using it!!

rhome410 regarding dovetale: yes i think the second photo is pretty good...maybe slightly lighter but not as light as the others. it's hard to shoot!

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

what a beautiful, clean and refreshing kitchen! Great job, and enjoy!!!

• sandn
    13 years ago

Jackie,
    It's beautiful. I looked at your blog and you had great vision to be able to transform your space so completely. I love the echo of the cork floor colour in the custom wood shelves and all of your small design details. I too am a great lover of flowering branches indoors in the spring. I have some towering branches pruned from my overgrown crabapple tree in my kitchen right now. Our cat loves the interior tree.

• lolog72
    13 years ago

I love everything about it!! The colors are all so soothing and the open shelves make the kitchen seem much more open and airy. I did open shelves too and it's one of my favorite things about my kitchen.
    You really did a great job!

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

Lovely, beautiful colors, I love the raw floating shelves and Shaker cabinetry.
    Lynn

• jackier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for all the lovely compliments everyone! I gathered so much info from this site...it's just been a fantastic and very educational experience!

Here is a link that might be useful: designsmitten

• cardamon
    12 years ago

Beautiful and simple in design. Off to look at the blog. Thanks for posting your wonderful kitchen.

• kaismom
    12 years ago

I thought that you had used Viola Park cabinets. They look like what I would see on Viola Park web site!
    You used Scherrs... Do you mind telling us what the cabinets cost through Scherrs?

• jackier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kaismom: i consider that a huge compliment that you thought these were viola park! of course i looked into those...too cost prohibitive...but gorgeous. definitely an inspiration for ours.
    the cabs from sherrs cost in total around $7000. well worth it considering they are fully custom, painted 2 different custom colors, and include all the cool features we spec-ed like softclose, full extension, funky pullouts, custom dividers, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: designsmitten.blogspot.com

• sas95
    12 years ago

Gorgeous job. I love the colors and your use of space. Perfect!

• jackier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks all!

• ZacsDaddy
    12 years ago

Really nicely done. NIce balance of modern and warmth. (And I love the open shelves.)