Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnut cabinets with melamine inside? Anybody?

Posted by thedork (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 14:22

I know the pros and cons between melamine and plywood for inside of the cabinets but I just cannot picture the white look inside with walnut on the door and the melamine is cheaper. Need to make a decision...

What would you suggest? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnut cabinets with melamine inside? Anybody?

Melamine comes in black, and looks great with Walnut and other dark stained woods.

o

I am not sure if we mean the same thing but melamine comes in many different colors and "grains".

The doors on my cabinets have maple veneer on the outside and maple-like melamine on the inside. The melamine looks very "realistic".

Here is a link that might be useful: Melamine Colors and Grains

o

The interior of wood cabinets is usually a light maple melamine. Only white cabinets get a white melamine interior. You do NOT want dark interiors, as it makes finding things difficult do to the darkness.

o

Great tips! I think the cabinet maker said WHITE - didn't mention any other colors.

o

We *thought* we wanted our interiors to match (doing dark exterior cabinets) until one of the cabinet makers mentioned that it would make it more difficult to see things - lighter colors reflect the light better so you can see what's in there more easily.

If you have an IKEA nearby, you can get some ideas of what darker cabinets might look like with white interiors.

o

Are you going for a modern look? If so, white melamine would look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: wood with melamine

o

I would say modern but not ultra :) - thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here