Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Are "Bisque" Appliances Selling?

chisue
10 years ago

This is the best color for replacing all the appliances in our Maui vacation rental condo. It is almost exactly the same color as our Corian countertop w/integral sink. We're replacing cabinet doors with a light shade 'bamboo'. Flooring is 13" 'Maui Dirt' tile (red-orange). I'm not sure what to do for backsplash.

I remember 'almond' appliances that came and went decades ago and wonder if this color is selling -- or is expected to stick around for a while. (I might only replace as the existing white appliances fail. All are now 13 years old.)

Comments (7)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Bisque hasn't sold well in over 15 years. Many manufacturers don't even make it as a choice in any but the lowest featured items in their lineup. And some manufacturers don't make it at all.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I have GE appliances in bisque. Love them! The microwave is a convection Profile model which was not inexpensive or their lowest line. The range was not a cheap low end, imo, but can't remember the line. It too has the so-called convection feature and plenty of features. Certainly not what we see a lot of here but decent enough for the average household and more than a lot of people spend.

I never really cared for almond but find this a pretty color. I did not want SS and the appliance whites are too stark. I think there will always be a need for something in the middle that blends better with some cabinet colors. I hope these last because I don't want any other color in here. SS is not for everyone and the smudges are a real eyesore, same with black.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

At AJ Madison appliances:

Of 809 ranges offered, 72 offered in bisque, top price $1300
    Of 997 refrigerators, 30 in bisque, top price $1400
    Of 339 dishwashers, 13 in bisque, top price $549

So percentage-wise, of the totals there are very few offerings, and feature-wise it looks like the ranges are going to give you the least variety of options.

There are probably one or two bisque options with decent features in every category and I don't think this would be a problem with a rental property unless it is advertized as a luxury kitchen.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

snookums2 listed the same reasons I give for liking the bisque appliances; white can be too stark, stainless smudges and is more expensive.

I offered a little lament when we said adios to our bisque fridge, but the bisque stove is staying awhile longer.

• chisue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dislike SS -- it 'reads' as grey to me and the fingerprinting is icky. White is so stark. I can't see black at all. This is a moderate-priced 1 BR 2 Bath rental, $160 - $220/night depending on season.

I was hoping 'bisque' would be around for a while in moderate-priced appliances, but I may just bite the bullet and do all four at once. You can't NOT have a functioning fridge/freezer in a condo on Maui, and ours is 13 now. (Fun to have both condo and permanent home dating from 2001. Everything, everywhere, will go at the same time!)

On Maui you pay a premium for everything, and stores are limited to Sears, Lowes, and one independent. All of them stock and can order 'bisque'.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

My parents have always had bisque appliances and bought their last set maybe two or three years ago. I think they have Maytag. They have Birch cabinets with a clear varnish and a medium toned stone look laminate counter. I think it looks nice, but my mom is sort of color and commitment phobic so she does it to play it safe more than anything. She did tell me on her next round of appliances she would probably go SS, but I don't see her doing it though.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Do a google for older threads: "gardenweb bisque appliance". There are quite a few threads where you will find more layperson's opinions. Designer kitchens will opt for the more expensive appliances and ss.

You are not alone if you like them. Sometimes they just look better depending. But you can mix a bit if you want a higher end chef's range.