Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

What is a 'super susan' and can you show me pix?

LE
12 years ago

I am not grasping the distinction that makes it "super." We will have a couple of corner cabs in our new (being designed now) house. I have a couple of lazy susans in this house, and although they are old and one could really use some WD-40 at the moment, I don't mind them, but I'm sure there are new and improved versions, so I want to make sure I spec the right thing. (Our architect sent me a link to an 800.00 Hafele corner pull-out system that was very cool, but not 800.00 worth of cool to me, anyway.)

Comments (13)

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Super susan does not have a pole in the middle. The shelves are supported on independent turntable bearings. I think they are generally pie-cut (but I don't think that is a necessary condition for them to be called "super").

• willtv
    12 years ago

As I understand it, the difference between a Lazy Susan and a Super Susan is that the rotating shelves of a Lazy Susan are supported by a central pole whereas the rotating shelves of a Super Susan are mounted to a fixed shelf, thereby eliminating the central pole.
    Here's a not so great mid-construction shot of our corner cabinet Super Susan

HTH.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Oh, I forgot a picture. Also a not-so-good, midconstruction shot:

• dseng
    12 years ago

What makes the super-susan super?

Shelves rotate independently. This makes it easier to get something (especially heavy items) off the lower shelf because you're lifting into clear space above, not negotiating around the upper shelf.

Shelves are usually exceptionally sturdy and rotate on ball bearings - we store a bunch of canned goods on one of our super susan shelves - enogh that they would have destroyed most of the regular lazy susan shelves that I remember from my youth (admittedly a "while" ago).

And especially if you are using frameless cabinets - the diameter of the rotating shelf can be very close to the full depth/width of the cabinet. Storage space is good!

• dseng
    12 years ago

Here's a link to an old discussion on GW of the very same question -

Here is a link that might be useful: What's a Super Susan?

• SaraKat
    12 years ago

What is the advantage of it as opposed to one with a pole?

• Buehl
    12 years ago

A "lazy" susan is the one with a center pole. A "super" susan is the one with no center pole and with "turntable" type shelves mounted on stationary shelves. There are pros & cons to both.

Pro(s) to both:

• It's very easy to access whatever is stored in it...everything is in front. All you have to do is rotate the shelves and what you want is right in front of you!

If something does fall off (in the cabinets w/out a curved wall, more on that later), it's much easier to get to the item than if you have a blind corner cabinet and something falls off. With a blind corner, you have to reach (if you have very long arms) or crawl into a cabinet that's deep inside a "blind" area. [This reason plus the fact that many of the blind-corner hardware/inserts meant to give you some usable storage do not last is one of the reasons my KD discourages blind corners of any kind.]

Granted, you will have to take things off at least one of the shelves with a susan, but you won't be trying to blindly reach deep inside a cabinet that's "recessed" into another one.
    Note: The pie-cut type cabinet (90-degree angle instead of diagonal front) gives you better access to contents than a diagonal opening. It also gives you more useful floorspace and counter frontage, less of a "closed in" feeling (particularly in small-to-medium size kitchens), and less inaccessible deep corner space.

Pro(s) to a lazy susan:

• Biggest pro, IMHO, is that the walls of cabinets designed specifically for lazy susans follow the contour of the round (or pie-cut) shelves so closely that I'm not sure even a grain of rice could fall off the shelves.

Another big pro, again IMHO, is that if you have the pie-cut type, the doors can be attached to the shelves and rotate into the cabinet when you open it. No doors banging the adjoining cabinets...something that can be an issue, especially the doors that are two pieces attached with a piano hinge with the doors flopping about.

Pro(s) to a super susan:

• No center pole in the middle to limit the size of items you can store on a shelf.

No center pole to block access to items.

Con(s) to a lazy susan:

• Has a center pole in the middle that limits the size of items you can store on a shelf.

The center pole could block access to items. However, all you have to do is rotate the shelf and no more "blocking"!

Con(s) to a super susan:

• Walls are usually not (never?) curved to follow the contour of the round shelves. This is the biggest con, IMHO.

Doors cannot be attached to the rotating shelves so the doors must be opened b/f accessing contents, You also have to be careful the doors do not bang into adjoining cabinet(s).

Most corner cabinet units/hardware, BTW, cannot easily be retro-fitted after the cabinets and countertop have been installed.

• la_koala
    12 years ago

No doors banging the adjoining cabinets...something that can be an issue, especially the doors that are two pieces attached with a piano hinge with the doors flopping about.

When the first words out of my DH's mouth when trying the super susan at the showroom were "Won't the doors bang into the other doors? I don't want to have to worry about that!" I knew I'd go with the lazy susan instead of the super susan. :-)

That's my DH's dream kitchen in a nutshell: a place where he never has to worry about dinging or damaging something that would make me cry!

Now off to the "Have You Damaged Your New Kitchen Yet?" thread!

--Lee

• hellonasty
    12 years ago

My Super Susan has 2 doors that open independently. At first I was annoyed, cause it takes two motions to open and close the doors when you need to get in the susan. But not I'm used to it and I'm glad I don't have the hinged doors banging about! I love the SS.

• FiveZs
    12 years ago

We saw this option when we were remodeling and had to have it, corner drawers. You may loose a small amount of space, but these drawers pull al the way out, so easy access. I also love the look verse the Susan.

• dseng
    12 years ago

FiveZs - What a great looking kitchen! Very classic looking and timeless. Are the upper cabs quarter-sawn oak? Love the marble(?) counter tops with the backsplash!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

FiveZs, I love the drawer idea! I also love the Super Susan idea better than the lazy Susan with a pole in the middle that I have now. Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen and unique ideas!

• FiveZs
    12 years ago

Thanks. The cabinets are all quarter-sawn. The kitchen is still in progress. The uppers are complete, stained/finished. The bottoms are still raw. I am doing the finishing work, so it's taking some time, but I am very happy with the outcome. Yes, VT Danby Imperial marble.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz