Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kooops

To paint white or not to paint white

Kooops
11 years ago

I am going back and forth on this question daily.

I've always wanted a white kitchen. I fall in love with nearly every white kitchen I see online or in magazines. My house is more traditional but I love every white kitchen from country to modern and everything in between.

We did a whole house remodel in our last home and I was all prepared to go with a white kitchen. At the last minute I changed to a cherry cabinet. Why why why!? Partly because our architect thought it would coordinate better and gave me the downsides to white- dirt, corner seams separating. The cabinet maker affirmed his warnings...so I went along with cherry and never really loved it.

We moved to a new house- cherry kitchen, except this time it's oranged over the years. The house was built in 1998. I like the layout and it works from a function standpoint, I just have never loved the cabinets. The previous owners did granite counters and a backsplash- neither of which I love but would be OK with white (I think).

I wanted to paint them white and considered getting a new larger island in a walnut or some other warm brown finish. We just made built-ins in the adjacent family room (they are GORGEOUS) and painted them SW Dover White with a warm wood stained counter- I LOVE the colors, love the white cabinetry, itt's the look I've always been in love with.

So to paint white or not to paint white. Have you done it, do you love it (or hate it).....

Here is my kitchen now (well these are after we moved in and I have new curtains). I would also change over the dishwasher and microwave to stainless if going white. We actually did the island in black to coordinate to the appliances and to just take away some of the orange.

Comments (16)

• Kooops
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is our built in we made in the adjacent family room (along with fireplace update). It's not done yet in that we're adding hardware and putting hardwood floors and removing the ceiling fan, but you get the general look.

And just because, here was the fireplace and wall when we moved in.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

White is more than a trendy color. My MIL had white cabinets in her tiny kitchen in their adobe house built in 1941. When she got new cabinets in the late 80s, she went with white again. It's held up very well with lots of use.

If you want white, paint them white. Many on here have done it and it looks great. You even get to agonize about exactly which white would be "the white." ;)

P.S. Glad you got new curtains, because...well, really?

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Those cabinets really have turned orange, haven't they? I would paint them white, but this is coming from a person who paints almost everything white (except for the few things that I paint black). I think your kitchen would look stunning in white (well, creamy white, not white white with your granite) and it will certainly blend well with the adjoining room.

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Those cabinets really have turned orange, haven't they? I would paint them white, but this is coming from a person who paints almost everything white (except for the few things that I paint black). I think your kitchen would look stunning in white (well, creamy white, not white white with your granite) and it will certainly blend well with the adjoining room.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Yes, have them professionally painted. Many on here have done just that with great results.
    They are in perfect condition.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Do it, it will look great!

• susiemw
    11 years ago

You should have what you love. I vote for white.

Good luck! Let us know which white you choose.

• purrus
    11 years ago

Definitely do it. You will wish you hadn't waited so long!

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

I did it in a past home, so did my mom. Best decision I could've made. Completely transformed, lightened and brightened the kitchen.

I think it'll go well with your current b-splash and granite.

If you've always wanted a white kitchen, it's probably time to make it happen!

• ikeltz
    11 years ago

Absolutely! You have a great kitchen layout. I was already imagining them a gorgeous shade of white. Benjamin Moore has some lovely colors, and just think how much fun you'll have choosing the right white for you!

• Kooops
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THANK YOU everyone! I feel like now I can proceed-as if for some reason getting the go ahead from strangers on the internet solved my quandary!

I guess everyone keeps telling me "don't do it" and I keep second guessing. If it weren't for the extreme oranging going on, I may not feel as unsettled with them.

Now I have to think about what white to go with and I want to get rid of the little desk but I'm not sure what to put there. I also want to expand the island but I'm not sure on how big and whether to lose our seating area and add it to the island or if that is a bad idea. I was considering the island in a warm wood tone but then I'm not sure what to do about the counter-top- same granite (and I'm not sure what it is) or different.

Decisions decisions- I greatly value the advice here so I'll have to formalize some questions and post.

My biggest decision is DIY or hire out. My husband has a hvlp paint sprayer and we are serious DIY-ers. Our old home we tripled in size and painted all of the windows (which were unfinished wood- 72 in all), all of the trim, all of the wood doors and the finish was beautiful. The built-in we just did in this house was sprayed as well- but it's time consuming and we're kind of tired of DIY. I know we could do it, but do we want to- I guess I'll think more on that when I find out what someone would charge us!

Thanks again.

• User
    11 years ago

They don't look like actual cherry. Maybe birch with some sort of light cherry stain. I wouldn't hesitate to paint them. Get rid of the little open shelves and add a more substantial crow molding to the ceiling for them and then paint everything. I'd leave the island alone. The black will look nice with white cabinets and you'd have to replace it if you wanted wood tones as you'd never be able to adequately strip it well enough to restain it. If you feel the need for adding more warm woods after painting all of the warm woods, then do a butcher block top to the island.

• Kooops
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know the wood type for sure, I know the neighborhood had 3 choices with the builder and these were the "cherry" choice.
    Either way- they are orange.

Yes, I HATE the open shelves. My hesitation in getting rid of it was what to put there. It will leave a lot of dead space in between the window and the cabinets on either side. I was thinking of making some kind of trim that goes up either side and a pediment above the window- kind of similar to our built-in in the family room but I'm not sure.

We are actually adding a coffered ceiling in our family room so our built-ins crown will be adjusted. I'm not sure about going to the ceiling with trim in the kitchen, I need to photoshop some pictures.

I really want a bigger island with more seating. We are changing the entrance point between the kitchen and family room. It will impact the table area a bit but I could put the table back where the wing chair is. We have space to widen the island too. And I am not going for black and white. I'd either have to paint the island white or get a new wood stain island. I would like a larger pull out trash area which I could gain by getting new cabinetry for the island too-- that is my one function complaint!

Thanks for your thoughts.

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

I think you have a beautiful kitchen. The cabinets are very nice and I love the layout. I also love the white built ins and think a white kitchen would look great alongside it hahaha.

I had orangey oak (builder grade) cabinets and hated them (I mean hate!) I finally bit the bullet and painted them myself. I'm very happy my decision. The remodel took me 4 months and it was a lot of work. I choose more of a gray color because my house doesnâÂÂt have white anywhere. I knew I didnâÂÂt want dark cabinets so I picked BMâÂÂs cumulus cloud.

My advice is, if youâÂÂre going to be painting these, be prepared because itâÂÂs a lot of work and once you start you have to finish. After a year of paint, there are a few cracks but I barely notice them. I did have two small paint chips but I touched them right up and havenâÂÂt had any problems since then. If you pay someone to paint them then there is less worry and it shouldnâÂÂt take very long.

If youâÂÂve always wanted a white kitchen and are up for the challenge, then I say go for it. YouâÂÂll be happy when itâÂÂs done. I also think the granite will look nice with white cabinets.

Here are some pics to show you what I was dealing with-

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures b&a

• Jordan Nicole
    5 years ago
    Yes paint them. I think it will look great. I have the same dilemma. Should I paint mine white?
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio