Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Kitchen cabinet shelf supports - is there something better?

bbstx
10 years ago

The picture is the shelf supports that came with my new kitchen cabinets. I have several issues with them:

1. Are they sturdy enough? Is all of my crystal going to come tumbling down one day? They kinda lean out away from the wall. I have broken 2 trying to move them - and it didn't take much strength for me to break them.

2. Is there something better or equal that would make re-arranging the shelves easier? With these clips, you have to hold in the sticky-outy part and that takes 2 hands - one on each clip, while raising the shelf off the support portion - another hand. I must have missed the day God handed out 3rd hands.

3. Does anyone know how much weight they will bear? The photo is from the Hardware Hut website. It doesn't give any information on load bearing.

When I asked the cabinetmaker's rep (salesman) for different supports, he said he didn't have any. That that is what they use. He said that they quit using the metal pegs because the shelves would/could tip with them.

These are custom cabinets but the shelf clips strike me as extremely cheap.

Advice? Opinions? Experience?

Comments (19)

• ilovenaptime
    10 years ago

Have you tried to use pliers to get these in and out and to push them in so they're flush with the cabinet wall? Sometimes I can't get the metal kind of shelf support in all the way by hand but using pliers makes it easy. Just judging from the picture they look to me like they would be strong enough to support a shelf with a lot of weight. The top clips that keep the shelf from jumping if you bump it look like they could break easily. I haven't seen them in person, though.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are clear plastic and look very cheap and flimsy. Even when they start out flush to the cabinet wall, they seem to end up leaning away from the wall and toward the shelf if much weight is put on the shelf. I have a fair amount of crystal and fine china. If one of the pegs (the part that goes into the hole) were to break from the strain of leaning, it would cost me a pretty penny.

Getting them in and out of the holes isn't the problem. The problem is to move a shelf, you have to depress the upper portion while lifting the shelf. That takes 3 hands. Once you get one side free, it isn't too hard to slip the other side of the shelf out.

So, my problem is I have no confidence in their sturdiness and I cannot re-configure my shelves easily, or even moderately easily. The day after we moved in my son tried to help me reconfigure the shelves. He isn't small or weak, but even he had trouble. Several of the supports broke while we were trying to remove the shelf.

I am looking for a sturdy shelf bracket that is also easy to reconfigure.

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

I have always used the metal supports personally and I have never had a problem with them.

I agree that those look flimsy and I would also be worried about them breaking and causing the shelf to crash.

If it were me I would go to Lowes or Home Depot and just buy regular metal supports. They don't clip the shelf in place on top but unless your shelf sticks out into your room where it will be easily bumped or hit from the bottom, I don't see how it could get knocked off.

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

I have both kinds in my kitchen--the plastic clips are in the original cabinets (house built in '99), and the metal peg-type are in a few of the cabinets that I had replaced recently. I haven't had any difficulty with either type holding up, but I agree with you that moving the plastic ones is very annoying.

I guess the potential benefit to the plastic clip type is that you can't accidentally bump the shelf from below and have the shelf move. But, once a shelf is loaded with items, I can't really see that happening anyway.

If it'll give you better peace of mind about holding up, just replace the plastic ones with metal pegs. I haven't had any trouble with the plastic ones, but who wants to worry about something like that?

• cba6777
    10 years ago

I had those plastic clip ones in my house in FL. It was a real pain to move the shelves, you're right. Broke a few clips while trying to re-position shelves when we first moved in. Didn't have the need to rearrange after that.

I didn't have any issue with sturdiness, though. I had shelves full of fine china & crystal that didn't move.

• sherri1058
    10 years ago

I agree that they look flimsy, and are a PITA to move, however, mine have held up for over 10 years - and my shelves are loaded with a lot of weight.

• ilovenaptime
    10 years ago

I was definitely misunderstanding the problem. Those sound pretty bad, especially the fact that they shift position. I, too, would look at Home Depot and Lowes for replacements.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

I carry a semi custom brand that uses those and complain about them constantly to rep and factory. They've been promising to change em, in the meantime I get regular clips for every job in that line. Have no issues with standard clips working.

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

Check out the shelf supports from Brusso. Precision turned and milled solid brass. They also sell insert sleeves that fit in the holes first so they pegs don't distort the holes over time. (and the added benefit of looking cool and finished). My cabinetmaker thought I was crazy at first, until had had gotten most of them installed and then totally agreed with me that they did make a difference and why had he been doing anything else? Not inexpensive, but given what it cost for the cabinets and all the work that went into them. A small piece of jewelry.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KL, do you have a link for Brussco. When I tried to find it with Google, I got a steak place.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

xedos, honey, I think you need a chocolate chip cookie.

A good friend is a retired engineer. He does beautiful woodworking as a hobby. He said his experience with the clips in my cabinets is that they will eventually become brittle which may cause them to fail. He suggested these from Rockler. I have passed it along to my cabinetmaker.

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

This is where we got them. But Brusso makes lots of cool stuff so worth checking out their site too

Here is a link that might be useful: Tools for woodworking

• localeater
    10 years ago

My old kitchen had the plastic ones. I really disliked them and I would leave shelves where they were because I knew moving them would result in the pegs breaking.
    My new cabinets have the ones from Brusso, not because I knew to ask, just because that is what my cabinet maker used. I do really love them.

• Gretchen Hoffmann Stock
    8 years ago

I have the plastic holders in my house. Now that the house is about 14 years old, the plastic holders are starting to break. Some of the holders that were supporting a shelf that had my good china on it broke a few days ago. Luckily, none of my china broke. I am now on a quest to find replacement holders.

• janedoe99
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The problem with these clips isn't that they themselves are flimsy, titanium would have the same problem, which is, the cabinet sides are too thin to be able to push the peg in far enough and eventually the weight on top distorts the shallow hole. I have had 2 shelves crash down so I'd advise against crystal.

• snowflake3939
    7 years ago

There are metal supports that have a small hole on one side - buy some small screws and attach them to the bottom of the shelf using this hole and that will prevent the shelves from tipping. I use them for bookshelves and kitchen cabinet shelves - I got them at Lowes. They also have ones with a white rubberized sleeve on one side which also stops the shelves from slipping.

• duffjkr
    7 years ago

I need these; where can I buy them?

• Marisa Papale
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just bought a house that has the plastic clips very annoying I need to get a step ladder for anything above the second shelf because they had the shelves on the highest level! what is the best way to get them off? I'm trying to snap them off but it's not working!!