Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
q: cheese grater design problems?

Posted by Jean.Dali (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 14:12

I am researching problems/weaknesses with design products in the kitchen, or more precisely: cheese grater. Speaking of them I have few questions:
1. How often do you use the cheese grater?
2. What type of cheese grater do you own? (concerning its design, ex. does it have a handle or is it a classic cheese grater? etc.)
3. Is there another product/tool that could replace the cheese grater in your kitchen?
4. What's the most difficult thing about grating cheese?
5. When cleaning your grater what are your greatest problem? (cutting yourself, takes a long time, not able to clean it through enough)
6. How many sides of the standard 4 sided grater do you use?
7. What is the most common problem with graters (time taken, not enough surface area, one direction grating, the ache from repetitive action, slipping of the grater, too small container, bloody knuckle problem)?
8. What is the ideal size for a good grater?
-Large (A grater you place on the table)
-Medium (A a hand held grater no longer than 15cm or 5 inch)
-Small (A greater you hold in the palm of your hand no longer than 6cm or 2inch)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: q: cheese grater design problems?

1. I use my cheese grater a lot for softer cheeses. I use a Microplane for harder cheeses like Parmesan.

2. I have the flat grater that rests either on the cutting board or over the bowl. I don't use a box grater because it would take up too much space and not fit in my utensils drawer.

3. Nothing to replace it. A food processor would only be worth getting out and dirty if I had a lot of cheese to grate.

4. Most difficult is grating the last of the cheese without grating any part of my hand. That, plus my dog loves cheese and is usually drooling by the time I finish.

5. My grater is easy to clean. I usually get the big pieces off and put it in the dishwasher.

6. N/A

7. Not grating my fingertips is my biggest problem.

8. I like the size of the grater I have which is definitely longer than 5 inches.

o

We used to have the simple box grater shown above, but have moved almost entirely over to the Microplane brand. If you buy the "professional" series with thick stainless wire sides and handles, they make a plastic cover that slips over the sides to function as a finger protector. All the grate sizes are the same width, so you only need one interchangeable sliding finger cover. (We moved from the Pro versions after two of our black plastic Home versions broke at the handle.) Get the ones with the stainless handles and you can drop 'em in the dishwasher. Made in USA last I checked.

Another one we use relatively often for really big grating jobs (fondue) is the Mouli grater with the handle and different grating drums. It's fast and easy, and the best type for finger safety. We usually wind up delegating this job to whatever eager kid is standing around with nothing to do; they love using it. Made in France.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microplane Pro Series

o

1. 1-2x week
2. Ikea grater with plastic bowl, 2 grater tops and plastic lid for storage http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50153180/ and a box grater on a paper plate
3. Food processor when grating 1+ lbs
4. Cleaning
5. Not cleaning right away and dried cheese is hard to get off
6. One, rarely two
7. Everyone wanting to eat the grated cheese so you have to keep grating.
8. Large

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here