Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Does anyone have 2 trash cans in their kitchen?

Mom23Es
12 years ago

Our kitchen will not be huge so having two trash cans seems absolutely silly. However, I keep thinking about the zones in our kitchen and I feel like having a trash can near the exterior of the kitchen near where we'll store the kids' snacks would be very useful. Our main trash will be in the island in the prep and clean up zones, and I think that it will bothersome to have the kids (and guests) always walking around in my space while I'm working. Plus I imagine the kids (and DH) leaving wrappers on the counter.

Right now my one wall has 36" for a fridge, 27" cabinets for the shelf MW, and 33" for whatever. I'm thinking about dividing the 33" into a 15" pull out trash and 18" drawer stack. I plan to put large 27" drawers under the shelf MW and load the deepest one up with snacks. Any other ideas?

I'm meeting with the KD at the cabinet place on Wednesday. Is this a crazy idea to have 2 pull out trash cans in the kitchen???

Here's a photo to show the general layout of my kitchen. The DW has been moved to the opposite side of the main sink, and there will be a prep sink in the corner of the island nearest the pantry.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (22)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

We had two in our old kitchen but never used the latter; i always want garbage out asap, so it sort of didnt make sense. Id rather have one full one and take it out, then two half full that sit for a few days, kwim?

I do recommend a very large trash can in a full size pull out cabinet. Ours is a large round plastic can, as large as one you'd put out for the curb.

A second can may make sense if it were for non-garbage (mall, papers, etc)? Or of course recycling.

• coffeebreak
    12 years ago

We have two pullout trash cans in our kitchen. One near the prep sink (single can), and one near the main sink (two cans). The main sink is a two can pullout and is used for scraping dishes (clean up) and for recycling. Both pullouts are used extensively. I love, love, love, having trash directly below the prep zone. We have the kind of pullouts where the trashcans sit on the bottom of the pullout drawer. They do not hang by the rim. We prefer this method, but others prefer the hanging style. Since our cans narrow at the bottom, we have room to store a first aid kit and additional liners next to the cans.

We are very happy with this setup, and we definitely use the cans according to their zone location.

• User
    12 years ago

Mom23Es-

We actually have three medium sized trash pull outs, two in the main kitchen and one in the WIP, two are doubles and have trash and recycling, the one in the WIP is a triple; trash, recycling and compost (we also have a counter top compost container in the kitchen). We always let them get full to the max (that way we use fewer plastic bags and spend less $$ on same), and if we have super stinky stuff like chicken bones, I put it in a small grocery store type plastic bag in the most frequently emptied one (near the sink in main kitchen).

We love having many places to dispose of the refuse of our lives, and recycling, composting and using less plastic is very important to us, hence this set up.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

We have two trash pullouts, each with two bins. I do have a large kitchen, and kind of decided to put in the second one when we both said, "What are going to put here"? We have one on each end of our large island. One under the butcher block on one end of the island (across the aisle from the main sink), and one near the fridge/beverage center. I can't imagine our kitchen without them. We use both everyday. I especially like the one under the butcher block. I can just scrape peelings, etc, right into the trash. Love it.

• Infinity78
    12 years ago

Yes! Well, sorta. I have two bins - one dedicated to recycling and the other to non-recyclables - This way, the trash can be taken out easily and more frequently while the less-stinky bottles/cans/papers can accumulate till it's full or time for pickup.

I would generally suggest this ahead of two single-purpose bins but if it's in the interest of traffic flow, I don't see the harm.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I have two, but only one is a pullout -- at the prep space in our island and across from the cooktop and baking area. The other is under the cleanup sink. I had a choice of a second DW or a second trash pullout and went with the DW. The second trash and the recycling bin are under the main sink. We were going to put them on a pullout of some sort as an after market thing, but decided to go for a lager can. With teens, their friends and family gatherings of 15-20 or more on a regular basis, that was the right thing for now. We can always modify it later

• twoscoops
    12 years ago

Having more than one trash can works for us. We use a double pullout next to the clean up sink, the back bin is used for recycling. The next cabinet is also a double bin pullout where we keep dog food and more recycling. The second trash is under the prep sink.

• drbeanie2000
    12 years ago

I am jealous of anyone who doesn't have about 36 different recycling stations at their "recycling and disposal facility" (dump). This is the one in the town we're staying while our house gets bombed - I mean remodeled.

http://www.ci.wellesley.ma.us/pages/FOV1-0001FDB3/for/recyclingposter.pdf

It is hilarious to see all the residents pull up in their luxury vehicles, dressed to the nines, trotting up to separate their trash at each of the stations. I'm sure they feel very virtuous or something, but I suspect SOME people - not me of course - would prefer to just stick all their recyclables in the "regular" trash than to separate out and deposit at different stations all their blue bottles, brown bottles, clear bottles, green bottles, corrugated cardboard, non-corrugated cardboard, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: RDF

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    12 years ago

We have a large kitchen and I put two double trash pullouts in the design. One near each sink, where trash is generally created. Glad I did it. My only oversight is not putting under cabinet lighting. That was a huge mistake that I regret daily.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I thought I was a bit nuts to even consider 2 pull-out trash areas. Lol. I should have specified each of them would have a can for trash and another for recycling. In the kitchen we generally have more recycling than trash, so both are important. We are fortunate to live in an area that has mixed recycling.

Drbeanie- that's crazy! Lol

• Buehl
    12 years ago

If it helps, I wish I had two pullouts! Right now, the only one in our kitchen is to the left of the cleanup sink and across a 6' plus aisle from the Prep & Cooking Zones. It's my biggest regret - that I either did not install two pullouts (one on each side) or did not put the only pullout on the Prep & Cooking Zone side.

I think I would have put a 2-bin pullout on the Prep/Cooking side and a single-bin pullout next to the cleanup sink. Far more trash and recyclables are generated in the Prep & Cooking Zones than in the cleanup zone - so having trash and recycle bins in the Prep & Cooking Zones would have been ideal.

DW...do you really want it b/w the range and only sink in the kitchen? With just one sink, you will end up prepping in that space - b/c it's the only water source and water is often used for prepping and cooking - whether as an ingredient or as a "tool" for washing/rinsing fruits, veggies, hands, etc. Even if you occasionally prep on the island, it will still be in the way b/w the island and the Cooking Zone (range). Last, it's also in the way b/w the sink or island and the refrigerator or oven.

• Susan
    12 years ago

lol, in our kitchen we have a tall garbage can next to the range and another at the mudroom entry.
    then thre is the paper recycling bin behind the dog food bin, and the can and bottle basket next to the other recyclables basket.
    the only think we don't have is a compost bin, dh hates them.
    couldn't manage without two garbage cans in our home.

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

We have a three bin pullout in our prep area (trash, misc. recycling, paper recycling), along with an inset composter. Really, really like this setup.

Then, in the clean up area, a 1-bin trash pullout below the other sink.

The downside of the multiple pullouts is that I have very little storage area for the cleaning supplies I usually keep under the sink.

Bins are not huge, which means we regularly clean them out. I've started lining the recycling bins with trash bags; we carry the bags to the garage, and dump out recyling in our larger recyling bins. When the bags get dirty, they are then rotated to the garbage bins for final use(this keeps the recyling bins clean).

Above the left most pullout in the prep area is a 12" drawer. I'm very proud of that idea, v. useful to have an extra drawer.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

in each run of counter I have a small trash bin.

small bins are better because we empty them more frequently.
    no point holding onto trash.
    no point carrying trash across the corridor, ergo one bin for each counter.

• honeychurch
    12 years ago

We have two for the same reason you cite in the OP---kids leaving wrappers etc all over! We have a regular trash pullout by the sink, but we also have a "snack station" for the kids with a drawer fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster--they keep their waffles and gogurt and nuggets there. DH came up with the trash idea, modeled after your neighborhood coffee place or fast food joint; it works pretty well because the kids now think it is FUN to throw things away. It has a cover but we never really use it.

• User
    12 years ago

We have a trash/recycle cabinet. It's large, on the corner of our island and has access doors on two sides (one side faces the clean up sink, one side faces the cooktop....and the prep sink is next to it.) I have two 10-gallon trash cans in there. Because I compost, these cans rarely have odors.

I also added a small trash can to our walk-in pantry. Because our microwave is in there and because snacks have lots of wrappers, it ended up being very convenient to have one there. It is only for paper/plastic/etc.

• laughablemoments
    12 years ago

2 trash areas sound like they will work well.

If I might comment on your layout, I'm wondering about the path from the landing, into the mudroom, looping through the hall, and then around the corner into the kitchen. Is it this way now? Is this the path of carrying loads of groceries? Have you considered going directly into the kitchen from the mudroom? I know very little about your plan, this is just observation. The hall seems like it might be wasting lots of space, and might feel a little maze-like. Maybe it could be better utilized as pantry space. Just an idea.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I was so nervous about requesting a second trash at the cabinet design meeting, but no one looked at me like I had two heads. The only thing I was disappointed to learn was that the 15" trash pull-out can only fit one bin. I was hoping to have trash and recycle at both places. Oh well. After posting a question about my desk area in the mudroom, I think I'll put a giant recycling bin in there. If we didn't have so many diapers in this house, our recycling would always be twice our trash. Right now it's about equal. (And no, I just can't go back to using cloth dipes right now. I can barely keep up on laundry as it is.)

Thanks for all your feedback!

And laughable- thank you for your floorplan feedback. I actually like the "maze-like" design because I like having a bit of separation between the disastrous mess of our mudroom (I know it will be), the bathoom (privacy), and the kitchen. However, I'll be sure to remember your comment, as well as several others, if I get tired of lugging groceries and such into the house in a few years. LOL!!! ;-)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I have a built-in pullout for garbage and a freestanding can for recyclables. Scraps that can smell go in a bag in the freezer. All veg. peelings go in the disposer. I don't compost because I'm in a small city and do not want to be ground zero for a rat infestation.
    I hardly have one tall trash bag to put at the curb each week.
    Casey

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Buehl- Mom23 said in the OP that she's switching the dishwasher to the other side and adding a prep sink to the island. Both very good points, though :)

I wish I had two garbage areas...my mom does. A small one under the sink and a larger one at the edge of the work area...for everyone else to use!

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Buehl- it was actually because of your previous recommendations that I added a prep sink to the island and moved the DW. ;-) thanks! I forget who suggested the island trash pull-out, but I think that will be fantastic too.

• tanajo
    11 years ago

I had to giggle a little bit, I'm just putting my kitchen back together, still waiting on countertops and finishing touches but I have 3 trash pull outs! Big one by the sink and small one under the prep sink. Both planned. Third one created itself after I kept pulling out a 12 inch pullout, that didn't have a defined purpose, and trying to put garbage in it! It's to the right of the stove. Overall my kitchen is not big, 11' by 24' including the butlers pantry but I have lots of storage so I could give up a cabinet. It's super functional and that's key for me

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living