Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Switch these lights together or seperate? Can't decide...

Posted by williamsem (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 14:09

So the time has come to make all remaining purchases. Meaning I need to pick switches and such this weekend.

I can't decide if I should switch the two lights by the fridge together with all the other recessed lights or put them on their own circuit. This is already going to be eleventy million times more lighting than I have now, so I'm having a hard time imagining how I might use the lights.

What do you think? For those that already have multiple light sources to use, would you want it all lit up at once, or the option to only light the hall area just when needed?

Here is the plan I'm using. Everything except the sink light will be on dimmers. All suggests welcome!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Switch these lights together or seperate? Can't decide...

I would want it switched separately.

o

In our last house we had can lighting and I went with what the electrician suggested. I ended up having him come back and make separate switches. Otherwise the whole area was to bright and I found in 5 years I never turned on 4 of the lights.

o

My under cabinet lights are on one switch, the lights over the sink on another. and the lights on the rear perimeter on another. Also over the table has it's own switch with dimmer I love light so I usually have over the sink, under the cabs, and rear perimeter on all the time when I am in the kitchen. I am going to put a pendant over the sink as well and want that on the switch with the other lights (recessed) are over the sink area, and hopefully another small pendant over my small island. If you like a lot of light all the time they can go on one but I would recommend being on their own switches so you can light as little or as much as you want.

o

My kitchen currently has 3 light sources: UCL, can lights all the way around above the work zones, and 3 decorative pendants over the island in the middle of the room. When I am working, I like everything on. When I'm not, I like to leave on the pendants because they are so pretty. Finally, sometimes in the evenings I like to have on just the UCL because its warm and soft and feels cozy.

Because this is how I *use* my lights, 3 switches work well for me--1 for the pendants, 1 for the UCL, 1 for all of the cans. This is what I'm planning for my new home as well.

Hope that's helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here