Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juno_barks

2 cm countertop without edge buildup - mistake?

juno_barks
9 years ago

I found slabs of superwhite quartzite that I love... but its only slightly thicker than 2 cm. I want a simple non-build-up edge, but the fabricator has cautioned me that while the stone is stable enough, the 2 cm look might not be what I want.

I am going for a modern kitchen, with Ikea abstrakt glossy grey cabinets.

Would it be a mistake to go with just 2 cm countertop thickness? Have you ever done this or seen this? I guess its more common to use the simple edges with 3 cm counters.

Comments (16)

• kaysd
    9 years ago

That Superwhite is gorgeous. We used 2 cm White Macaubas without a built-up edge on the perimeter counters in our kitchen. (The island has a 2.25 inch mitered edge.) The edge is a simple square profile. I wanted something sleek and modern, and think it looks good with the slab cabinets. Thinner counters seem to be more common in Europe.

This post has some pictures of my perimeter counters, although the focus was on the island.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

• weissman
    9 years ago

Are they putting a sheet of plywood under the counter for support as they do with 2cm granite? In that case, the built-up edge covers over the plywood layer although some people choose to do without the built-up edge.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I think 2 cm simple edge counters look best in modern kitchens. The thick, chunky look can be great too, but that simple clean line works well.

If you want to see some photos, go to Houzz and enter 2cm counters -- it will pull up a selection for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Juno_barks:

The thinner look is fine if that's what you like, just make sure your slide-in range (if you have one) can be lowered enough for the flange to just clear the deck. I've had to play with the feet to get them to fit on 2cm jobs.

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

Just wanted to say that is a gorgeous stone!

• kompy
    9 years ago

I somehow managed to find the pics (awfuly quality) that the homeowner emailed to me, so I will post one below. These were taken back in 2007!!! They are 2cm thickness Caesarstone countertops.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    9 years ago

I used 2cm in my upstairs kitchen. My parents used 2cm in their kitchen. I happen to like the look.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Your cabinets will need a full subtop to avoid a plywood supportive layer laid on top of them. If your maker doesn't do that, then you will need to plan to cover the edge of the ply with a molding, and perhaps paint the underside to match the cabinets.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The MIA specifies subtops only for "unsound" stones less than 2cm. See Section 6.2:

Here is a link that might be useful: MIA

• kompy
    9 years ago

My fabricator didn't use any kind of underlayment for 2cm and no problems yet. However, we only did a handful of them in early to mid 2000's.

• juno_barks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you one and all! Whew. I will stick with the 2 cm countertops. I think this is the look I am going for, and that the fabricator got me all stressed out for nothing.

• LE
    9 years ago

If you know you like the look, then you know you like the look (I do, too).

It took me a while to figure out that "I don't think you'll be happy with X" most often means either "I don't like the way it looks personally" or "It's a pain to do it that way." I wish I'd had a translation dictionary at the beginning of each project! (My husband and contractor both thought 3 cm was the way to go and I didn't feel strongly enough to want to use up all my vetoes that day!)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I almost went with 2 cm too. My DH really preferred 3 cm and I guess I didn't feel strongly enough about it to argue the point. It's done and it looks great. Go with your gut.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

For what it's worth: The current trend in Europe is towards very thin counter tops. That's why the ceramic/porcelain materials are becoming so popular.

• juno_barks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nosoccermom - you are certainly right, and IMHO, those very think counters are super sexy - just google "thin kitchen counter" and you get lots of hits on european trends. But I think its difficult to source them here, and in Utah, forget it. And lori-inthenw, I totally know what you mean about using up vetoes. I'm working hard to choose my battles carefully. I let my DH win the SS appliances, and the glossy cabinets, but I won on counters and induction.
    Thanks again everyone.