Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeda

Countertops installed--love them, but have an issue.

teeda
11 years ago

My Corian Sea Salt countertops were installed yesterday. I was so nervous about how they would actually look in place as I was working from a very small sample. But I absolutely love them and am very happy with my choice. The only problem is the corner radius. When the template guy was here I specifically said I didn't want rounded corners and to make them as square as possible. Well, they arrived rounded. I don't know what the radius is, nor did the installer--he guessed 3/4". He told me this is standard and there was not much they could do now. Because these countertops have been delayed due to a variety of issues, our remodel has been significantly held up. So I thought I would live with it. However I keep looking at it and wondering if they could come back out and cut the corners on-site. My biggest issue is the way it looks on the built out hutch cabinet. Any opinions? This has been so stressful (we've been living in the basement since September), and I hesitate to start any new battles, but I don't want have big regrets down the road.

Comments (47)

• geomeg
    11 years ago

I think they look beautiful as well! I'm in the middle of a remodel as well with alot of frustrations so I can sympathize!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Extremely frustrating! Isn't "square edge" on your order/specs?

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

Pros to the corner you have: Less likely to chip and less likely to bruise hips.

You probably should have given a specific radius to have much recourse.

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

Did they send you a layout with the specs for approval before fabrication? I think it looks lovely, too, and goes well with the rounded corners of your sink. But I also think you have every right to get what you pay for, especially since you were quite specific regarding the corners. If you decide to "settle," know that you are in good company. Most of us have settled for a thing or two (or more!) that we hadn't planned on.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Maybe this is as " square as possible" as they were willing to do them. Sharp inside corners cause a certain amount of material stress, so then they matched the outside radius to the inside one. I think a sharp outside corner could definitely be something you banged yourself on, too. I actually think it looks fine--the radius is fairly small.

• teeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Snookums, it wasn't addressed until the guy came to make the template. We had a detailed conversation about it. He was pushing rounded but agreed to an "eased" corner. I don't know what happened during fabrication.

The cabinet guys are here delivering the appliance panels. They think the inside corners can be squared off on-site, but the outside corners would stay as is. That would be okay with me, I think. I don't mind the outside corners being rounded, and agree that it's probably better from a "bumping into" perspective.

I've got a call into the company, but they're from the Boston area and things are really bad there right now. Two of my kids live near Cambridge, so I'm also trying to keep a perspective about this whole counter thing--I just hope everyone stays safe.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Then that inside corner would be different from your other inside corners? I'm not sure that would look right or with the rounded outside corner. Be sure to find pictures and think that one through.

Looks fine, it's a beautiful counter and coloring, but I know what you mean. Give it a little more time so you can adjust. That's often all it takes.

• teeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Snookums, I'm going to take your advice. I'm tired of overthinking everything--I need to take my life back, LOL!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I like this better. Less likely to chip and poke you when bump up against it.

• ruthie51
    11 years ago

Just my 2 cents, but I think it looks beautiful.... fluid, smooth, classy. And I agree with snookums; it wasn't what you expected, but allow yourself to adjust and you'll probably come to see how lovely it really is.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

From the Corian Installation Manual:

INSIDE CORNER CONSTRUCTION METHODS
    One of the major fundamentals in the fabrication of Corianî is that all inside corners have as large a radius as possible, with the minimum radius being 1/2â (13 mm).

It then goes on to explain what you have to do to treat inside corners to avoid the stress risers that Pal cited.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corian Installation Manual

• threeapples
    11 years ago

I really feel for you as we've been dealing with all kinds of issues like this in our build. I'm incredibly picky and actually prefer your corners the way they are now. But, if this is not what you are expecting and you don't like them like this I'd see what can be done about it.

Hope your family stays safe!

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

It's more than fine. Really. Anything else would be a risk. Leave well enough alone unless you want to sign a waiver about your counters potentially cracking and you assuming that responsibility.

• teeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Angie, that info was very helpful. I'm going to embrace my curves!

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

Your counter is lovely! I think the curvy look adds interest. It is so frustrating when our vision of what we want gets misinterpreted.With that being said, I would hate to take the chance of having the radius changed.

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

Check out kateskouros's thread "finished kitchen pics - and I need a backsplash" ... her lovely countertops have some of the same "curves" as your own. Perhaps seeing how nice those curves look in someone else's kitchen will help you to appreciate them in your own.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I'm going to embrace my curves!

True on so many levels!! :-)

FWIW, I think your countertop looks much better and much more hip-friendly than if you had small-radius corners.

• teeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I feel so much better. Now that I'm thinking more clearly I also realize that the furniture feet have not yet been installed. These are traditional/cottage with a curve. I'm wondering if what troubled me at first is the contrast between the sharply angled unfinished cabinet feet and the curves.

I appreciate everyone's support. This forum has been a lifesaver for me in this process!

• msrose
    11 years ago

Now that you're starting to embrace your curves, we can focus on how gorgeous you countertops are!! I've never seen Sea Salt before, but I certainly see why you love it. Now, do you have a backsplash picked out :)

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Those are REALLY beautiful!

• lyfia
    11 years ago

I love the curves and counter color too. May I ask the per sq ft cost?

This post was edited by lyfia on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 22:44

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Happy to see sea salt installed...I looked at Martha Stewart catalog in the beginning and the sea salt with the cabinets looked great.
    Your kitchen looks very nice.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

My inside cornders were supposed to be square, too. I was livid when they arrived rounded, more so than yours. Today, It makes no difference round or square. Live with them for awhile.

There are many of us who understand the problems that arise during a remodel or build. The outcome is not always our desire or what we envisioned.

By the way, those counters are G O R G E O U S!!!

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

It does bother me when we don't get what we want. When my countertop were being carried in (thru my back door) I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an Ogee edge, I ordered pencil edge. Luckily Ogee looks fine in my kitchen. I decided not to tell anyone this wasn't the edge I really wanted when they told me how beautiful my kitchen looks, let everyone think this is what I ordered....in fact 1 year later I truly think it adds something to my kitchen. I hope you feel the same way about yours....your counters are beautiful!!!

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

Yay! for more positive Corian presentation on the board. I think that they look great and they've been fabricated properly for the material.

I *love, love, love* (did I say "love") my Corian countertops (witch hazel). They are a dream to clean up, my daughter is doing her thing in the kitchen, and the other day when I plopped a spoon down that was lousy with tumeric - just a wipe with a sponge and *gone* (on my sponge was a different story...it's still bright yellow).

It's a great material - soft and warm - you're going to love it.

And the more of us who get gorgeous modern Corian, the sooner everyone can stop dissing it for being "dated". :-)

• teeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I do love these countertops! Lyfia, the countertops were $86/sq. ft installed. Msrose, I'm doing a 3x6 handmade subway tile called Manhattan Field, Fluid Glaze Sea Turtle. I've attached a picture, but my cellphone doesn't do it justice. It looks great with the Sea Salt counter. We're doing a full wall tile on the range and sink wall. There will be a glass china cabinet installed on the end of the counter to the right of the sink. There will be an island painted BM Indian River (similar color to wall tile). It will have a distressed black walnut countertop.

Grlwprls, I know what you mean about the "C" word stigma! And I admit I was guilty of being a Corian "hater" myself until I happened to see a kitchen display with Witch Hazel and knew this product was the answer for me. I'm loving the reaction I'm getting now that it's installed--everyone LOVES it--including the cabinet makers installation guys (and they've done a lot of gorgeous kitchens). I'm surprised at how much I love the way it feels--can't keep my hands off it!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I have Corian in a couple of bathrooms and not really a fan and wouldn't think of using it in a kitchen, BUT yours might change my mind! That Sea Salt is beautiful! And so is the edge. Like a gentle slope on a surf washed beach. Agree with the others; don't change anything! Looks great with your cabs too.

I do still love my integrated Corian bathroom sinks, but not the speckly pattern, but from the look of yours the options have come a long way since I did mine 12 years ago.

Looking forward to seeing your completed project.

• deedles
    11 years ago

wow, what a beautiful countertop! I'm going to have to look at some corian more seriously when the time comes. Love the rounded corners, too.

• lyfia
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing the cost with me. I'm going to order a sample. Looking for something with that look for a bathroom right now.

• lalalisa123
    11 years ago

I LOVE these countertops too. Your kitchen is beautiful!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    11 years ago

Love the look of Sea Salt! Burled Beach and Ravine were 2 others that I thought very attractive. But, more expensive than the first tier quartz, so quartz it will be.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

WM, I love your Sea Salt Corian. I tried looking it up on the Corian website, but it does not come up as one of the choices.
    I want to see it closer and put in my "archives" for future reference.
    Is there a site that I don't know about where it shows as a sample?

• 293summer
    11 years ago

I think everything looks great -- including the radius corners! Can't wait to see the reveal.

BTW - what color white is used on your cabinets if I may ask?

• teeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellendi, Sea Salt is from the Martha Stewart Collection. It is only available through Home Depot. My cabinetmaker, who also fabricates Corian tried like heck to access the product but couldn't. I was reluctant to go through Home Depot, but it all worked out. As a plus, they can't charge a sales tax because it is sold installed. That saved us quite a bit.

Swtceleb, my cabinets are BM Simply White. I love the color--bright, warm white.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

"When the template guy was here I specifically said I didn't want rounded corners and to make them as square as possible. "

I much prefer the rounded corners, as they are shown in the photo. A sharp corner is a "poison arrow" in Feng Shui, and I avoid those whenever possible. With a rounded corner, you won't have it catch (stab) your hip, or that of a guest, if someone brushes or stands against it. It doesn't say "danger!" to me. If I was looking to buy a house and it had sharp corners, I might even walk away from the purchase and not realize why. (yes, I'm always thinking about resale)

The rounded corners also soften the overall look of the cabinets, with their sharp, true 90-degree angles. Personally, I would leave it alone.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

WMA89, This is a bit OT...
    Just bought a new computer and am using it now. Originally responded to this thread on one of our other computers and could see all your pics, but on this one I can't see the middle pic in your original post. Just see the frame with an x in the upper left corner. Same with a couple of other threads.

Was wondering if you could tell me if you saved or sent that one in a different format that the others? Trying to diagnose what's not set up correctly or missing on this computer and I'm not that computer savvy, especially when it comes to photos.

And if anyone has any advice about what to check, I'm all eyes!

Thank you.

• teeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Island. I posted all the pictures in the same way--copied the HTML from my photobucket account. It's strange that you can see some but not others. I'm not very tech savvy, so can't help!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info WM.

• country_in_the_city
    10 years ago

Hi i am considering Sea Salt corian and wondered if i could borrow one of your photos for my post. It's the best representation of the color that I've seen!

• swfr
    10 years ago

I've just got to join the chorus here-- those are the best looking corian countertops I've seen! Love them and their curves. It sounds like you are coming around. (Haha-- pun not intended!) Some of these goofs can be blessings in disguises. Just make sure you decide that this is something you are truly okay with and won't give you a little sense of frustration every time you see them (in which case you should *definitely* ask about changing them.) But if you feel like you can truly make peace with it, and embrace those curves, great!

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

OT but what is the maker of these beautiful cabinets? Can I find out the make and color?

Thanks!

• lynfrishof
    8 years ago

OK, so it's now 2015 and I just got hooked on Pintrest. My ex husband and I did 2 remodels in our old kitchen and I always wanted Sea Salt counters. Just couldn't afford them at the time. Well, now I'm single and just bought a home of MY VERY OWN and I'm doing Sea Salt! It won't be installed till middle of Dec. but I'm sooo looking forward to it. I think your counters look fabulous just the way they are. Are you happy with them now that you've had them a couple years?

• Krissa Gray
    7 years ago

I'm would love to see more pictures of the sea salt corian!!! Please :)

• khinmn59
    7 years ago

It looks fine. A rounded edge is probably safer for those working around that area as well as children, less likely to chip. I'd say once the kitchen is completed you probably won't notice.

• Gerri Dollens
    2 years ago

I think the rounded edge in that loc looks great, like it was intended to be a feature. Some antique buffets are squared with rounded tops. i def think it looks like a top notch built in feature

• M Miller
    2 years ago

@Gerri Dollens - you’re responding to an 8-year-old post.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths