Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Matching Exterior?

Texas_Gem
10 years ago

I built on to the back of my house for my kitchen. The problem I am facing is that the brick my house was originally bricked in is no longer made.
I would love to be able to do stone on the new addition, unfortunately it is just to cost prohibitive. So I am faced with 2 options, either get brick that is similar but not exact and hope it won't look bad since none of it will be right next to the existing brick or get something contrasting.

So I am wondering what your opinions are?
As you can see from the attached pictures, there is a french double door on one side that will separate the old and new brick and a single back door on the other side to separate.

If you think it is better to go with a contrasting brick, what color range should I go with?

Comments (20)

• enduring
    10 years ago

I'd go with contrasting for sure. As far a what color? I can't tell from your picture what color you have now. I would also think about wood siding or cement board siding as an element to complement the brick. What ever I got I would want it to go with roof, brick, window trim, etc. Good luck.

• Evan
    10 years ago

I think contrasting, but I'm not sure about contrasting brick. What about siding or cedar shake? Of course, not knowing much about your area, those options might be weird with the style of house or neighborhood. In Texas I guess you could do stucco?

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, for some reason it didn't post the second pic which is a close up of the bricks. I have included it here.
    I did think about siding but that is out for a few reasons. One, this is a north facing wall and I need the energy efficiency of brick or stone to keep my heating and cooling costs down. Secondly, my neighborhood has building restrictions that, I am pretty certain, prohibit siding of any kind.

The house style is ranch house so I don't think stucco would work.

The roof is gray shingles and the windows don't have exterior trim, all the other windows are bricked up right to the edge. I'll post some other pics of the exterior from other angles so you can get a feel for the house.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I'd remove the brick off of the remaining wall section and then use a fiber cement siding for the whole back wall. Two colors of brick isn't going to be the best look.

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front of the house

Rotating to the side

Garage and looking back to new addition

View from other back corner

live_wire_oak- I can't do siding, it is against the building restrictions in my neighborhood. It has to be a brick or stone.

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

Have you looked into stone veneer? You can't tell the difference, and it's much more affordable. If you chose the light value of your brick (creamy tan/yellow) and chose a stone veneer in mostly that tone, it would possibly accomplish your objectives ("stone" "affordable" and "energy"). See the picture in the link, such as "austin cobblefield" or "dover rockface".

Here is a link that might be useful:

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

Here's another example of stone veneer that could work.

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do love the look of that. So far the pricing is still to much. The brick would cost 300, looks like even stone veneer would be at least 800. :(
    What if I chose a creamy tan yellow brick? Do you think that would look OK?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I'm really surprised that your association is going to allow two different color bricks if their reasoning is to keep things aesthetically pleasing in the neighborhood. Have you spoken to someone about your issue of not being able to purchase a matching stone? Perhaps they might take that into consideration and bend the rules a bit ... ? I get association rules and all, but when they don't make sense, they need to be broken.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

What's the white on the front? Can't you do it in that?

My experience with associations, having lived in one and been on the executive board of one is that most people on it have no idea of what they are talking about and would rather enforce (or not enforce, as the case may be) the guidelines based upon personal agendas or because they don't understand for what purpose the guidelines were developed.

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's the weird thing, it isn't like an HOA, it is building restrictions for the subdivision.
    There is no board, no one I could clear it with, essentially, the properties are "zoned" that way.
    It is to ensure that something I do won't lower my neighbors property value. So all houses have to meet a mimum square footage and have brick, stone, stucco exterior.

If I go outside the restrictions, any one of my neighbors could sue that I caused their property value to go down.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Personally, I'd go with stucco. I've seen it paired with brick quite often in California and I like the look.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I'm also wondering what the white surface is, shown on the photo of the front of your house. If you could repeat whatever that surface is, wouldn't that be a good solution?

• ktj459
    10 years ago

I agree with some of the others, a light tan stucco would really be the most complimentary. Goes with the style, could pull that color out in the brick, and wouldn't make an obvious 'this was an addition' type space, as stucco and brick are commonly used together.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

If you can do stucco, I would do stucco then, it's the easiest match, and if is one of the approved materials.

If the restriction is that vague it sounds as if a neighbor could sue you if they don't think the stone or brick is a good match either?

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

Yeah, if stucco is an option, then match the stucco on the front, and that's a great solution. The WORST solution is mis-matched brick!

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

I lived in at least two stucco-brick ranch houses in California, though that was quite a long time ago. A third ranch house was definitely stucco; I'm not sure if it included anything else. I don't see why you couldn't use stucco on a ranch.

And I repeat ineffablespace's question as to what the white on the front of the house is, and why you can't do more of that.

Brick-stone combinations make me shudder. And I don't like using different colors of brickwork on the same building unless the colors are used according to an intelligent plan.

Let me repeat what ktj459 said:

A light tan stucco would really be the most complimentary. Goes with the style, could pull that color out in the brick, and wouldn't make an obvious 'this was an addition' type space, as stucco and brick are commonly used together.

Since the white on the front and the current addition are not visible together, it doesn't matter if they are different colors.

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, I will definitely look into stucco. I have always loved stucco, I just didn't think it would work with my house.

As to the white on the front, it is Masonite. My parents originally built this house 20 years ago and, I will have to double check with them but I think the restrictions have changed since then and theirs was grandfathered in since siding isn't allowed now.

On the one hand, I understand because I wouldn't want someone building a shack next door to my house, on the other hand it is a giant PITA.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I think it would look nice to stucco that front piece too. I assumed it already was from the look of it.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

"I think it would look nice to stucco that front piece too."

Ditto!